PDA

View Full Version : I need advice

Fivetimes
26-06-2013, 03:37 PM
Recently bought a 2008 A4 1.8TFSI 120 S Line and im considering a remap with Auto-Tune of Ballymena NI. Ive read good reviews about the company and trawled the internet for advice about getting a remap done - but i thought id ask those who know best.......

Firstly - ive read that the 120T is actually a 160T de-tuned. Is this true?

Secondly - to remap or not to remap? Im no boy racer but just want more power (like most of us) and it seems a cheap way (quoted £280) to get closer to where I want. Most people on this forum seem to have had little or no issues with a 'sensible' remap. I guess I looking for confirmation......

Thirdly - Ive been quoted a possible power increase from 120 to 204 BHP with a serious torque increase. It sounds good but probably pretty stupid to put that level of increase and stress onto the brakes/clutch etc etc. Im thinking 180BHP would be a good balance (providing the engine was designed to handle 160 with ease!)

Fourthly (is that a word lol?) - if i get this done and when i inform my insurance company (direct line) will they be deeply unhappy and tell me to go away, or increase my premium to stupid figures?

Lastly - Auto-tune offer a mobile service and can call out and do the job. Has anyone ever had this done? Does it present any difficulty?

I dont have a warranty to worry about and theres 45000 miles on the clock.

Any help/advice/banter/put downs and pick me ups are really appreciated!!! Cheers

Garry_M
26-06-2013, 04:43 PM
Lastly - Auto-tune offer a mobile service and can call out and do the job. Has anyone ever had this done? Does it present any difficulty?

Mobile service is what i used and the guy had a transit with a desk inside so he could work on it at a desk. He also had an electric oven running off batteries/mains invertor, this was to put the ECU inside to soften up the glue before prizing open the cover. I have a photo of the job but too large to attach. Send me your email and I can send it to you.
20120613_142910 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/87745875@N04/9142710679/)

Prior to removing/tampering with the car he ran a diagnostic check on the car and all modules showed as working, I guess this was to show me if any what was not right prior to him tampering with the car.

£280 seems cheap I suspect they are doing it via a laptop and not removing the ECU. If the ECU has to be removed and opened up then I paid more for that (newer Audis cannot be re mapped without opening ECU).

At the end of the day these guys are just changing software, something that is done everyday on our smartphones PC's etc, if they were gambling with our cars they would be out of business. My increase in power is still within safe limits for the gearbox/diffs etc.

We changed our insurer as sheilas wheels didn't want to cover the modification, more than accepted it, infact the re maps are very common nowadays and in all honesty didn't alter our quote. We decided to inform our insurer 9 months after re map!

Guest 2
26-06-2013, 09:02 PM
As I said in your other thread, AT's RR seemed inaccurate to me.

I have heard more good reports of Torquetronix (also in Ballymena) than Autotune so I'm guessing thats saying something.

1) No idea sorry, you would need to compare engine numbers of both

2) Remap all the way, once my A3 and A6 are out of warranty, I'll be getting them both done. High 200's for the A6 and possibly 130-140 for the A3 with the DPF removed too.

3) 180 should be fine, 200+ might be pushing it a little.

4) Direct line were on the news this afternoon, something about going bust? May have heard that wrong, but yes you need to tell them, depending on how good you've been in the past, there may be a small or no increase at all in premiums.

5) Dont bother with the mobile service, get a proper rolling road before and after mapping just so you can see you're getting what you paid for.

if you need any vcds mods let me know :)

Fivetimes
27-06-2013, 10:36 AM
Mobile service is what i used and the guy had a transit with a desk inside so he could work on it at a desk. He also had an electric oven running off batteries/mains invertor, this was to put the ECU inside to soften up the glue before prizing open the cover. I have a photo of the job but too large to attach. Send me your email and I can send it to you.
20120613_142910 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/87745875@N04/9142710679/)

Prior to removing/tampering with the car he ran a diagnostic check on the car and all modules showed as working, I guess this was to show me if any what was not right prior to him tampering with the car.

£280 seems cheap I suspect they are doing it via a laptop and not removing the ECU. If the ECU has to be removed and opened up then I paid more for that (newer Audis cannot be re mapped without opening ECU).

At the end of the day these guys are just changing software, something that is done everyday on our smartphones PC's etc, if they were gambling with our cars they would be out of business. My increase in power is still within safe limits for the gearbox/diffs etc.

We changed our insurer as sheilas wheels didn't want to cover the modification, more than accepted it, infact the re maps are very common nowadays and in all honesty didn't alter our quote. We decided to inform our insurer 9 months after re map!

Thanks very much Garry. Just about to book the guy for next Wednesday. I'll update all on how I got on!
My emails fivetimekings@googlemail.com. Cheers!

Fivetimes
27-06-2013, 10:39 AM
As I said in your other thread, AT's RR seemed inaccurate to me.

I have heard more good reports of Torquetronix (also in Ballymena) than Autotune so I'm guessing thats saying something.

1) No idea sorry, you would need to compare engine numbers of both

2) Remap all the way, once my A3 and A6 are out of warranty, I'll be getting them both done. High 200's for the A6 and possibly 130-140 for the A3 with the DPF removed too.

3) 180 should be fine, 200+ might be pushing it a little.

4) Direct line were on the news this afternoon, something about going bust? May have heard that wrong, but yes you need to tell them, depending on how good you've been in the past, there may be a small or no increase at all in premiums.

5) Dont bother with the mobile service, get a proper rolling road before and after mapping just so you can see you're getting what you paid for.

if you need any vcds mods let me know :)

Thanks Chris for the help. Booking in next week so i'll let you know how it all went!

Brodster
30-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Your 2008 model will not need its ECU removed from the car as A4 1.8T and 2.0T can be remapped throught the OBD II port. Not all Audis require the ECU removed though. All PD140/170's are unlocked. All CR140/170's are locked except for the very early CR's that were introduced from 2008/2009. The only way to tell if the early model CR's have locked ECU's is to read them and attempt a re-write. All 1.8TFSI and 2.0TFSI before 09 are unlocked and all S3's regardless of age are unlocked. This is across the VAG range.

For stage 1 remap to go from 120 to 200+ on that engine is unheard of..............180 max I would of said.

Fivetimes
01-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Your 2008 model will not need its ECU removed from the car as A4 1.8T and 2.0T can be remapped throught the OBD II port. Not all Audis require the ECU removed though. All PD140/170's are unlocked. All CR140/170's are locked except for the very early CR's that were introduced from 2008/2009. The only way to tell if the early model CR's have locked ECU's is to read them and attempt a re-write. All 1.8TFSI and 2.0TFSI before 09 are unlocked and all S3's regardless of age are unlocked. This is across the VAG range.

For stage 1 remap to go from 120 to 200+ on that engine is unheard of..............180 max I would of said.

Cheers for the advice. Yeah ive read (and had it confirmed by Auto-Tune) that my 120 is actually a de-tuned 160. So that might explain why they can make it 200+ bhp easily enough. Im going for 180bhp as I reckon thats a good balance of power v wear and tear!!

APR also quote the latest bhp figure increase at 210bhp for my particular engine. Torque increase is crazy. My motor seems to be one of the easiest and most tunable cars out there.

But im not pushing my luck!!! I just want more beans under the right foot!!

Brodster
01-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Remember after the remap to give it time to bed in and learn its new parameters......Yes that engine is highly tweakable but around 180ish is a descent power increase without having to shell out on other mods. If you do happen to find yourself wanting more then gimme a call. I can supply you with nearly every conceivable tuning goodie available. Enjoy the remap.

Fivetimes
01-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Remember after the remap to give it time to bed in and learn its new parameters......Yes that engine is highly tweakable but around 180ish is a descent power increase without having to shell out on other mods. If you do happen to find yourself wanting more then gimme a call. I can supply you with nearly every conceivable tuning goodie available. Enjoy the remap.

Cheers Brodster. When you say give it time, do you mean - dont expect amazing performance instantly or that i shouldnt push it too hard for a wee while? (or both!?)

I dont drive too hard the majority of the time - just enough to enjoy and feel that the remap will complete an already very nice motor. I dont think id add anything else to be honest - maybe change the exhaust system in the future - but that would be it really.