PDA

View Full Version : Clutch judder and extended warranty

_tones
26-06-2013, 09:54 AM
Hey folks,

My car was out of manufacturers warranty in March but is topped up (extended) until end July (approved used car). I've began to experience the clutch judder when pulling off in first gear (this has began to happen since I got an issue with gearbox fixed where first gear would not always engage (audi changed relese bearing and 1st Gear Synchroniser ring + hub)).

I took the car into Audi and demo'd the issue and the technician agreed there was an issue with the clutch. What they have said is they will charge to remove the gearbox (labour) and if it is the clutch that is the issue they will not replace it under the extended warranty. They have said however, if the clutch issue is a result of another fault (e.g. flywheel), they will change the lot under warranty. I was content with paying for the gearbox to be removed but not so if they will not even change the clutch under warranty. They deny that the judder is due to something that was done the last time the car was in for repair for the gearbox (even though the judder only started since then). My question is, considering the car has only done 29k miles, should they not replace the clutch under warranty. They have admitted there is an issue when I demo'd it to them.

Is there no come back to this or is what Audi (garage) are telling me fair? The reason i don't want to pay for gearbox removal if they will not fix the issue under warranty, it will be approx £300 (removal) plus £700 for clutch which i can probably get done elsewhere at a much lower cost when it gets bad.

_tones
26-06-2013, 07:49 PM
I've emailed Audi customer services outlining my frustrations and disappointment with the gearbox / clutch as a whole and the warranty so see what they come back with. I have never owned a car where it's had clutch issues within 30K miles and the car is just over three years old.

markp306
30-06-2013, 09:33 AM
I've emailed Audi customer services outlining my frustrations and disappointment with the gearbox / clutch as a whole and the warranty so see what they come back with. I have never owned a car where it's had clutch issues within 30K miles and the car is just over three years old.

Good luck with that one. Been there, done that.

I was told that the clutch was not covered as it was wear and tear so had to pay for that (although they were prepared to refit the existing one, but said it made sense to change while the 'box was off). So, I paid for the clutch while Audi covered the rest. What got to me was the numerous visits resulting in 'can't find an issue'. That's when I phoned Audi CS.

i notice it tends to be the 143 models in the main. Very bizarre as I thought the mechanical differences in the PS output variations were minimal.

_tones
01-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Good luck with that one. Been there, done that.

I was told that the clutch was not covered as it was wear and tear so had to pay for that (although they were prepared to refit the existing one, but said it made sense to change while the 'box was off). So, I paid for the clutch while Audi covered the rest. What got to me was the numerous visits resulting in 'can't find an issue'. That's when I phoned Audi CS.

i notice it tends to be the 143 models in the main. Very bizarre as I thought the mechanical differences in the PS output variations were minimal.

Yeah, Audi garage admitted there was an issue when I demonstrated the Juddering but wanted me to take up the initial cost of removing the gearbox and pay for a new clutch if that was the issue. It would have all been covered under the manufacturers warranty, but not extended warranty. The juddering is not too bad but thought it won't be an issue getting it repaired under the warranty (I'd expect a clutch to last around 100K miles, previous cars i've owned have easily done that). Otherwise i'll get it repaired when it gets worse. Have to wait and see what Audi CS say as not had a response yet to my email (says it all). My main bug bear is the juddering only started since I got my car back from the last time it was in for repair with gearbox problems but Audi garage deny this. Mine is a 120 1.8TFSI.