PDA

View Full Version : Charge light on dash

lawser
24-06-2013, 06:35 PM
Charge light on my dash doesn't light up when turning on ignition, i'm sure it did until i changed the alternator;

Alternator appears to be charging, i have checked the battery before and after starting the car with a meter.
The battery charge gauge shows lower voltage until i rev the car up, it then shows higher until i stop the car, confirming my meter readings above.

I'm sure the gauge never worked like this until i put the new alternator in, does anyone have any ideas on why the dash light no longer works and could both issues be linked ?

scotty33
24-06-2013, 10:10 PM
There is a small I think blue wire, that attaches to the back of the alternator, it goes directly to the lamp in the dash. I don't understand the electrics, but it 'needs' the resistance of the bulb filament to work properly (some owners kit out the instruments with led's which have very little resistance and cause this issue in this case). Without the effect of the lamp, the alternator does not 'self excite' until approx 2500-3000rpm, which is why you see your voltmeter wake up when revved.
If the lamp/circuit is blown, same effect.

lawser
24-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Thanks, yes i have since googled this. I guess it's easier to check the instrument cluster behind the dash as i have to replace a bulb anyway ?
cheers,