PDA

View Full Version : S4 options

mc350
23-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Hi,
I'm starting to search for a used S4 and am doing my research on here but I am also looking for people's opinions on what are the essential options / trim levels.

I think the sports diff sounds worthwhile as I am used to rear wheel drive. I think I want an automatic avant, but still keeping an open mind, I might have a long wait for the right car!

Thanks for your comments
Mike

TheNeilJ
23-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Personally on my S4, the options that I find the most useful are the Audi Music Interface (AMI), Mobile telephone preparation (high), HDD Satellite Navigation and Cruise control for the long motorway drives. I realise that there are numerous different ways of using aftermarket equipment to get the same effects as having the AMI, Sat nav and bluetooth connectivity but I find it a lot easier and pleasing to have them installed and controlled through the cars menus.

If you are looking at getting the Sports differential, I would also look at getting the full drive select package as I find that the steering is quite heavy when in auto mode whereas the comfort setting available in the dynamic steering menu, coupled with the Sports differential and damper control set to dynamic make the car a lot nicer to drive on a B-road blast, and having all set to comfort makes the car very easy to drive on the motorway.

Cheers Neil.

mc350
24-06-2013, 07:41 AM
Hi Neil,
Thanks for your comments. I think the drive select will be a must too, as will be the mobile phone prep and cruise.. I also like having kit built in but I'm not too bothered about sat nav in general, unless its a really good system. I will have to do a bit more reading on the AMI, I did read of the B&O option.

Cheers
Mike

size12
24-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Hi Mike,

I didn't go for the drive select but really should have done and stretched myself although in sports mode with TC turned off she likes to shake her tail :)
B&O sounds sublime and to me worth every penny coupled up to tech pack. Phone prep is a must and works very well. 3GHDD I think is standard now on the S4, sat nav I think is better on the 2013 if your buying new! But the 2012 and previous the sat nav is fairly basic to be fair.
Oh and best to buy the fastest colour :) 21253

mc350
24-06-2013, 06:32 PM
The blue is nice I'll give you that, probably not so common either?:cool:
Are those 18" wheels size12?
I will have to find a local car to get familiar with what's what I think.
I'm probably looking for a 2010/11 with low miles. Quite like the black trim too.

Longdog
24-06-2013, 08:01 PM

I'd say that if one is available with nav then get it, the new system is very good and the older version will get you where you want to go, it also makes the centre console look a bit better (IMO).
The car rides better on 18 inch wheels but 19s do fill the arches a bit better, I have the drive select with sports diff, it transforms the car and you can get the back end out when safe to do so!
Interior wise the standard seats are very nice as are the super sports seats so either will do, all in all they are great cars and can even be pretty economical if required.

size12
24-06-2013, 09:23 PM
I went for 18"s and no ADS I couldn't have it as focused as I would have liked, its the only car so most days the wife and kids make dirty.
All in all it's a great car I'm sure you will enjoy.

Longdog
24-06-2013, 10:07 PM
I went for 18"s and no ADS I couldn't have it as focused as I would have liked, its the only car so most days the wife and kids make dirty.
All in all it's a great car I'm sure you will enjoy.

Love the blue, by the way. I was toying with getting it but it's an exclusive colour now so it costs silly money.

troc
25-06-2013, 11:03 AM
I like my S4,s colour - nice and stealthy.

As to options, I pretty much agree with everyone else - HD Nav is well worth it as it, indeed, makes the car a better place to "live". Especially as it includes the ability to play DVDs. I'm also a huge fan od the B&O system and would count that as a must-have. I think they pretty much all come with bluetooth hands-free which, combined with the HD based nav also gives a very usable voice control system.

The S4 needs the sports diff to really shine - otherwise you are better off with a 2.0T quattro really. Full ADS is fun and definitely improves things in the various settings but some people really can't get on with the variable steering. Feeling the lock, sensitivity and weight change mid-corner is something you really need to get used to! I believe the DSG cars come with a sports button anyway which tightens up throttle response. To be fair, I'd not regard ADS as necessary, just the sports diff.

I didn't bother with 19" wheels. I prefer the ride of the 18" rims even if it means my car looks slower than the millions of S-line models :)

The super sports seats are excellent and well worth the extra - but make sure you fit into them nicely. If you go for full leather (and the leather alcantara mix is excellent too), then you'll need heated front seats.

All the extra automatic and electric bits and pieces are cool but not really necessary. However if you can swing to some of the irritating extras like the interior light pack, storage pack etc, it really makes the car a better place to be and more usable as a daily.