PDA

View Full Version : Best way to complain to VW (uk)

dcdick
19-06-2013, 05:10 PM
I messaged VW (twice) using this but no reply (5 days now)

Contact Us : Volkswagen UK (https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/about-us/contact)

Also rang the contact no but got sick of waiting for an "advisor"

Is there a way to contact "Head Office" ?

Done the dealer thing & they say the car is working properly

Any advice ?

D

Guest 2
19-06-2013, 05:11 PM
It would be good to know whats wrong with the car?

Keep ringing, you'll get through eventually.

You'll not get through to head office nor will any emails as these will be read by a Secretary.

dcdick
19-06-2013, 06:49 PM
It would be good to know whats wrong with the car?

Keep ringing, you'll get through eventually.

You'll not get through to head office nor will any emails as these will be read by a Secretary.

The problem is with fuel consumption Fuel consumption/DPF issues 1.6 TDI "Blue motion technology" (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?147187-Fuel-consumption-DPF-issues-1-6-TDI-quot-Blue-motion-technology-quot)

Was looking for confirmation that the link I posted was to the right place or not................no matter who reads the messages they should at least acknowledge receipt & then reply within a set period with details of how the matter is going to be dealt with.
If VW don't care enough to listen to their customers ....... what's the point in having a "contact us" site !!

They are all over you at the dealers with coffee & smiles when you come in to choose a car, but when something needs attention & they don't seem to think that it does for whatever reason ............ they just don't seem interested enough to do anything about it apart from some standard "test" procedure then send you off hoping you will just forget about it.

Customer service in the motor trade in general is getting worse & VW, in my case at least, are particularly unhelpful

D

maisbitt
20-06-2013, 07:43 AM
Did your consumption take a turn for the worse over the last few days after improving recently? Talking openly about the issue to them on their Facebook feed might get a quick response - once you're complaining in a public arena they seem to want to fix things to get you to shut up.

dcdick
20-06-2013, 02:40 PM
Did your consumption take a turn for the worse over the last few days after improving recently? Talking openly about the issue to them on their Facebook feed might get a quick response - once you're complaining in a public arena they seem to want to fix things to get you to shut up.

Consumption has improved since the posh Shell diesel went in but still below where it should be & I shudder to think what it would be if I drove with more urgency as the slightest gradient/acceleration makes the mpg indicator fall alarmingly quickly :(
I'll have a go at the facebook thing & see if it stirs things up.

D

dcdick
25-06-2013, 12:08 PM
At last !!................ after 10 days a nice chap called Paul rang from VW about my email contacts.
Then claimed to only have received the last mail I sent 4 days ago asking why they had not responded to my original mail & the follow up to that.
They listened to what I had to say & in effect told me that the published consumption figures are meaningless.
Told me that "passive" regeneration after a journey is normal & "the way the engine works"
Asked what my expectations were & when I said "better fuel consumption" started stonewalling again
Looks like they are going to try & shift this onto the supplying dealer & in particular the advisor I dealt with (seems a bit unfair to me to dump this on the advisor :confused:) on the basis of "possibly" being misinformed before choosing the car !

I've got a case number now & have to wait for the resolution team to contact me (within 48 working hrs) & "move things forward" whatever that means

Hmmmmm

D

maisbitt
25-06-2013, 03:17 PM
VW UK are rubbish at taking responsibility. They will do all they can to avoid paying out on anything they can get the dealership to stump up for, even if it is their fault - maybe their margins are paper thin. VW Germany, on the other hand, just fall over themselves to help their domestic customers.

Your best best at resolution is to get yourself into a 1.4ACT via your lease company, or maybe the 2.0TDI is a lot more forgiving with DPF potential issues.

dcdick
25-06-2013, 06:58 PM
VW UK are rubbish at taking responsibility. They will do all they can to avoid paying out on anything they can get the dealership to stump up for, even if it is their fault - maybe their margins are paper thin. VW Germany, on the other hand, just fall over themselves to help their domestic customers.

Your best best at resolution is to get yourself into a 1.4ACT via your lease company, or maybe the 2.0TDI is a lot more forgiving with DPF potential issues.

VW Germany are a different operation that's for sure

I imagine it will be the lease company that sort this by offering to move me over to a TSI when I get up to 2,000 miles (the 1.4 will be good enough as the ACT carries a hefty initial premium with it's "sporty" tag) or I may just leave VW & look elsewhere (Skoda/Seat even !)

D

Still think it's more of a software issue than a fault of the engine as such, but, as the software programming 100% controls the way the engine works

pcr
26-06-2013, 08:46 AM
Trouble is dcdick, the 1.4 TSI ACT has a quoted combined economy of 59mpg, but 48mpg is the best I've seen anyone achieve, are you going to be happy with that ? I have a 1.4 TSI ACT and I really like it, but the fuel economy is a disappointment.

dcdick
26-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Trouble is dcdick, the 1.4 TSI ACT has a quoted combined economy of 59mpg, but 48mpg is the best I've seen anyone achieve, are you going to be happy with that ? I have a 1.4 TSI ACT and I really like it, but the fuel economy is a disappointment.

I tend to get at the high end of mpg figures that people quote on the forums & would be content with around 50mpg form the 1.4TSI.
I had a Mk VI 1.4 TSI before the diesel QQ that I chopped in for this Golf & my mpg was around 48 mpg & that was not exactly dawdling, but driving with a bit of an eye on economy so would expect another 2-3 mpg from the current version.
Paying around 6p less per litre for petrol than diesel is worth another couple of miles on the mpg figures as well.

Currently averaging 53mpg since a refuel using Shell "Nitro" diesel for the last 200 miles, BUT having to work harder than I should have to to get this mpg :(
Take away the 12p extra more than standard branded petrol I pay for the Shell nitro is around 4 mpg or so ................. seems to me I get absolutely no benefit in driving a diesel & am taking a performance hit for the privilege.

ps................would be helpful if you could let me know your mpg for the ACT & an indication of your driving style

D

dcdick
26-06-2013, 01:32 PM
Oh Joy

Just had the "tech" side of VW UK on the phone.

They say that the mpg figure of 48mpg (total since new) is "acceptable" as they have no control over how I drive the car.

Refused to tell me at what mpg figure they would accept as a company to take any action. Compounded this by saying that the dealer will sort any issues & will only take action when a fault can be identified.

After being asked directly 4 times the person on the phone said that VW UK consider this closed as it is for the dealer to address & they will take no further interest or action in the mpg "dispute" as he called it.
Then had the cheek to say that if I found myself disatisfied with the service from the dealer to get back in touch with them & they would "help me towards a resolution"

Makes you wonder what VW UK are there for ........................ if you haven't got a open & shut case of fraud/damage/failure to complete work etc.... they just don't seem to want to know :zx11:

I surely can't be the only driver of a Mk7 Golf/1.6 TDI unhappy with the fuel consumption but of course the dealers staff are keeping quiet about this & refusing to admit to anything.

Looks like my only get out is the lease company who will put me in a petrol when I get to 2,000 miles .............. will it be a Golf ?............hmmm

I might be able to get the dealer on miss-selling me the car but it 'aint going to be an easy thing to do. I don't have a problem with the dealer as such so it's probably just as easy to wait things out & get rid of this "lemon" as soon as I can

Customer service....................................my a"**!s

D

dickt
27-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Ring up VW UK. Ask for name of VW UK CEO or MD, or whatever his title is. (It will be a him. Equal opps is, er, lagging in the Car biz.)
Write to him personally, using Recorded/Signed for delivery. Use a real typed letter. they are so unusual that they often get read.
Tell him you only want a reply from him. Tell him not to bother replying unless he responds personally.
You want a proper, fully qualified VW techie to examine your car, not some 16 year old apprentice on minimum wages from a garage that will not let you see what he is doing to your car.
If he gives you the usual anodyne stuff, write to the boss of VW in Germany using the same technique. Don't bother with translations - they are all fluent in English. If the UK boss has been useless, point this out to the Group CEO. That should be bad for the UK boss's career. His career and bonus will be his main concerns.

dcdick
27-06-2013, 04:46 PM
Ring up VW UK. Ask for name of VW UK CEO or MD, or whatever his title is. (It will be a him. Equal opps is, er, lagging in the Car biz.)
Write to him personally, using Recorded/Signed for delivery. Use a real typed letter. they are so unusual that they often get read.
Tell him you only want a reply from him. Tell him not to bother replying unless he responds personally.
You want a proper, fully qualified VW techie to examine your car, not some 16 year old apprentice on minimum wages from a garage that will not let you see what he is doing to your car.
If he gives you the usual anodyne stuff, write to the boss of VW in Germany using the same technique. Don't bother with translations - they are all fluent in English. If the UK boss has been useless, point this out to the Group CEO. That should be bad for the UK boss's career. His career and bonus will be his main concerns.

Waiting for a reply from the MD VW UK (only 24 hrs at the moment).............next step is VW head office in Germany I will continue to push this to a resolution, trading standards is Mondays destination (just to stir things up a bit) Audi are in a bit of bother with the same issue & are being forced to change there literature/advertising I believe .

One of the benefits of being retired is that you have the time to pursue these things as well as being able to be at home for calls during office hours & as I am still member of a couple of professional body's I can usually find out names & how to contact people of influence when I have to ;)

D ............... or should I use Dickc to get around the archaic site censor :biglaugh:

bdb
27-06-2013, 09:06 PM
I have driven a Mk6 Golf SE 1.6 TDI 105ps (CAYC engine) from new for three years and three months up to mid-March 2013. Over that time the average fuel consumption (based on a log of fuel put in and miles covered on the odometer) was 58.47 mpg over 26500miles. Most of my mileage is local journeys of 7 miles each way or 10 miles each way to adjacent towns. Once per year there is a journey of about 2500 miles to Austria/Slovenia. Over the 3500 mile period including the long journey the consumption has been 64.17 mpg. Over the entire period I have never once noticed a forced regeneration of the DPF. Since mid-March 2013 I have owned a Golf Mk 7 SE 105 PS with BMT (CLHA engine) and my driving pattern has been unchanged. The new car has now covered 1500 miles and the long term fuel consumption indicated on the computer is 64.30 mpg. I have noticed more forced regenerations of the DPF and on 3 occasions I have interrupted a regeneration in progress when I have stopped the engine by turning off the ignition - the fan continues to run and the start-stop does not stop the engine. In spite of the more noticeable number of forced DPF regenerations the fuel consumption is markedly better than on the previous Mk6 (both these cars had 5 speed manual gearbox). I am posting this to say that not everyone has a bad experience of fuel consumption. The MFD display gives three options of fuel consumption display - consumption since last fill up, consumption since start of journey and long term consumption. If you use the consumption since start of journey option you should be able to see how the consumption varies with the duration of the journey - on my car , on a reasonably level road, it only takes a few miles to reach 50 - 60 mpg and can exceed 70 mpg after 7 miles. There appears to be something unusual about your fuel consumption problems.

dcdick
27-06-2013, 09:54 PM
Interesting to see your mpg results, these are what I had been expecting to achieve.
The only significant difference seems to be that mine is the DSG version.
My engine numbers are the same as yours.
Our journey styles are not that different (apart from the 2.5k round trip)
Can it be that simple.................the auto gearbox is the culprit ??
My car is good on flat roads at normal light urban speeds but the slightest gradient sees the consumption numbers falling rapidly, like you I normally use the "since a start" option. DSG option is set at "eco".

I will try the "manual" option on the gearbox & see if it makes a difference, the stated difference between DSG & Manual is in the order of 1.5% worse for DSG in the published fuel figures which is very small (but more than the petrol versions for some reason) hmmmm
Or possibly it needs to be run in the "normal" or sport options or even the "programmable" option to get this thing changing gear at a better time................:confused:

Thanks for posting your the first with a 1.6tdi to respond :D

D

maisbitt
28-06-2013, 07:45 AM
Dcdick: Is your DSG the 6 speed or the 7 speed? The 6 speed has about a 10% economy penalty on the 2.0TDI, but the 7 speed DSG should actually be more (just)economical than a manual.

It is a fact that at the helpline level, VWUK are very poor - I do hope that at the CEO level something will be done.

It's one thing for you to have poor economy but for the dealership technicians to get better economy on your test drive - I would put that down to your driving style. On the other hand, when what is actually happening is that they can't get close to even your mpg, it says to me that you're driving far more carefully than should be considered normal and are still experiencing poor economy.

I'm pretty sure there must be something wrong with your car - either a slight leak from one or more of the injectors, causing the car to overfuel and then leading to excessive forced regens on the DPF, or perhaps the DSG box has an atypical gear changing regime which makes the car uneconomical.

Looks like you're fighting your corner well - have you considered taking your story to somewhere like "what car?" or "watchdog"?

bdb
28-06-2013, 10:34 AM
"the slightest gradient sees the consumption numbers falling rapidly" This is normal as the engine has to work harder to pull the weight of the car uphill but it is partially compensated by the downhill sections where fuel consumption decreases as the car is coasting. I say partially compensated because on steep hills it is necessary to use the brakes to control the speed and this wastes energy that is lost. I have two possible routes to my nearby town. One is about 9 miles long and goes over a hill. The first mile rises about 500 feet (about 1 in 10) , then there is a fairly flat section of about 7 miles followed by a descent of 500 feet in the last mile. The car does less than 30mpg over the first mile but recovers to about 55 mpg after the final descent. The alternative route to the same town is about 10 miles along a river valley which goes around the hill and is fairly level. On this road the car reaches 70mpg driving at an average speed of 45mph. The mpg figures can be very dependent on the terrain.

dcdick
28-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Dcdick: Is your DSG the 6 speed or the 7 speed? The 6 speed has about a 10% economy penalty on the 2.0TDI, but the 7 speed DSG should actually be more (just)economical than a manual.

It is a fact that at the helpline level, VWUK are very poor - I do hope that at the CEO level something will be done.

It's one thing for you to have poor economy but for the dealership technicians to get better economy on your test drive - I would put that down to your driving style. On the other hand, when what is actually happening is that they can't get close to even your mpg, it says to me that you're driving far more carefully than should be considered normal and are still experiencing poor economy.

I'm pretty sure there must be something wrong with your car - either a slight leak from one or more of the injectors, causing the car to overfuel and then leading to excessive forced regens on the DPF, or perhaps the DSG box has an atypical gear changing regime which makes the car uneconomical.

Looks like you're fighting your corner well - have you considered taking your story to somewhere like "what car?" or "watchdog"?

It's 7 speed on the 1.6 (almost nothing in it in the published figures) ....................I have noticed some "odd" gearchages that when decelerating it sometimes selects a lower gear than it should & needs a lift off from the pedal to trigger the "free wheel" then the right gear comes in wether this is enough to affect the economy figures ??

You've got in in one about me having to work far to hard to get even low 50's economy & that is the problem

There's a 50 mile each way run coming up at the weekend that is almost all motorway/dual carrigeway so the figures from that will be interesting to say the least !

Trading Standards/Watchdog/What car etc... are the next step as well as going back to Pullmans (supplying dealer) to see if they can do anything as the car will have done over 1,000 miles & the economy figures are not going to get that much better than they are now (unless I take to 100 mile journeys down motorways at 60 mph for fun)

D

dcdick
28-06-2013, 11:26 AM
"the slightest gradient sees the consumption numbers falling rapidly" This is normal as the engine has to work harder to pull the weight of the car uphill but it is partially compensated by the downhill sections where fuel consumption decreases as the car is coasting. I say partially compensated because on steep hills it is necessary to use the brakes to control the speed and this wastes energy that is lost. I have two possible routes to my nearby town. One is about 9 miles long and goes over a hill. The first mile rises about 500 feet (about 1 in 10) , then there is a fairly flat section of about 7 miles followed by a descent of 500 feet in the last mile. The car does less than 30mpg over the first mile but recovers to about 55 mpg after the final descent. The alternative route to the same town is about 10 miles along a river valley which goes around the hill and is fairly level. On this road the car reaches 70mpg driving at an average speed of 45mph. The mpg figures can be very dependent on the terrain.

The fall in economy at the slightest gradient is very noticeable & much more than I expected............means I have to work too hard to get into the 50's in the mpg.
Another worrying factor is if the display in the car is being overly optimistic & the mpg figures are even worse than I am seeing.

I think I am going to have to "brim the tank" even though I disagree with that way of refuelling, but I need to do as accurate a check as I can to confirm my original calculations

Completley agree that mpg figures are entirely dependant upon the way the car is driven & the "terrain" it is driving through

Really do wish now that I had gone for the 1.4TSI & would have accepted a mpg figure around 50 mpg as good enough with more on a run.

D