PDA

View Full Version : 2.4 diesel T4 Caravelle Panel Van, what to look for?

Mattygreg05
31-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Hello everyone, I just thought i would introduce myself.
My name is Matt, and am new to this site.

I am currectly looking to buy a VW T4 caravelle panel van, 2.4 diesel.

Does anyone know the specs of this model as i am going to view one next week and would like to know what it should and shouldn't have and faults to look for?
For instance should it have electric windows etc?.

It's a 2.4 diesel Caravelle Panel van, 1994 M reg, 100,000 miles and one owner

I would appreciate any help
Many thanks
Matt :1zhelp:

willard
31-08-2007, 12:27 PM
My main concern would be with the state of the engine. These vans should go on for miles if properly looked after, so try and get as much info as poss on servicing etc. When was the cambelt last done?

When you test drive it, make sure that the engine is cold (ie the seller hasn't warmed it up prior to your arrival). Check for any smoke. Put the stationary van in neutral, and rev it up to about 3000 revs. Get someone to check for any smoke coming out the back. Black or white smoke can indicate fuel fuel probs, blue smoke oil. Hope that helps.

Mattygreg05
31-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Thanks Willard, thats great.

do you know if caravelle panel vans should have electric windows like the MPV caravelles do ?

willard
31-08-2007, 12:40 PM
As far as I'm aware a Caravelle shouldn't have any panels on it at all. If it is a panel van then it sounds like it is a Transporter not a Caravelle.

Both vans are essentially the same body shape and can have similar engines (caravelles tend to be 2.5TDI). They are both classed as being from VW T4 range. However the Transporter is a commercial vehicle (ie panel van) and the caravelle is classed as an MPV, ie usually 8 seater, leccy windows, few more whistles and bells. Think huge family vehicle.

bling69
31-08-2007, 05:23 PM
first thing is mainly check the engine , as vw's do have a tapid problem , as they r hydrolic , and if u purchase it , first thing to do is get the cam belt changed.