PDA

View Full Version : Advice on High-mileage purchase?

Ben B
31-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Hi guys! I've just registered here, as I'm toying with the idea of either a mk4 golf or an Audi A4 (01-05 shape).
Problem is, my budget will only be £5-5.5k max, which, I know if asking the impossible.

I'm sure there are plently of Golfs available for the £5k mark that are half decent, all beit earlier models, but they can be made good, with small touches like bodycolour bump-strips, the right wheels etc, right?

I've been teasing myself with the idea of an Audi also, though at my budget, i keep finding cars with crazily-high mileages. Ideally I'd likea deisel, it goes without saying that S-line models look amazing. A couple of questions-

Is buying a 125,000 miler a bit stupid?! Or are these cars built to go on and on for hundreds!?

Apart from the styling touches, what other differences with S-Line models?

Which models are particularly worth looking out for?

Am I asking far too much for my budget!!? ( I know I am really!)

Maybe if someone could list a few of the big things that are most likely to fail or wear on high mileage deisel engines- cambelt change frequency, waterpump failure etc, and the costs involved?

I currently drive an Alfa 147, And I do find it a gorgeous drive, I just want to go back to VAG, I've had an '84 Caddy for the last few years as a workhorse, which has 150,000 on the clock (though it's certainly not too comfortable as a daily driver!)(Or runs that smooth!)

rhencullen1989
31-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Hi there and welcome to the forum. I currently own 2 audis, both with high mileages. First is an audi 80 with 185K on the clock, i have owned and serviced myself for 9 years, bought with 120K on clock. Absolutely bullet proof! regular oil changes at 5K, never let me down and no problems apart from usual tyres, exhaust, pads, never touched engine, still original clutch and discs! its a 2.0 litre sport petrol.
Next is an Audi A4 1.8T (obviously petrol) bought with 120K on clock (again!) now on 167K and still drives really well, no knocks or bangs etc. A few more probs compared with the trusty old tank (80) steering rack replaced by me at 130K (LEAKING FLUID) all front suspension arms replaced by me, 130-165K, both front wheel bearings, the left one twice as was diagnosed by dealer during service wrongly! front discs and pads, rear pads, exhaust sections, had to have the turbo to cat joint flange re- welded as it snapped off when i was egged on by an M3 bmw on the A303!! (think i revved it a bit too high in 3rd gear, the missus was well impressed, NOT. Anyway, dont let that put you off as they are really good cars, change oil regularly and let engine warm up before booting it and you should see well over 200K!! Hope this helps with your decision.

loveUaudi
01-09-2007, 11:10 PM
like this advice. spot on !! these are no nonsense cars, solid and honest. key for old engines in particular is, warm them a bit before revving and enjoy thy drive.

go for one and worth trying !!