PDA

View Full Version : Turbo cleanup

dreddfan
15-06-2013, 11:12 PM
Well after the EGR cleanup job and the higher than expected performance increase, I've been thinking of doing a Turbo cleanup job.
If the EGR and manifold were that mankey the turbo vanes have to be gooey at the least. I have noticed a bit of lag recently but I was putting it down to the intake blockage.

What I want to know is what would people recommend as the best method of doing this without removing the unit from the engine? I dont have the time or skills to remove and the clean the unit. I've seen people using Mr.Muscle to burn out the carbon deposits? sounds a bit dodgey but apparently it works.

I've seen the 'Revive' turbo cleaner here Engine Cleaner and Power Restorer (http://www.cleanmyengine.co.uk/) or the Innotec version Innotec Turbo Clean (http://innotecturboclean.co.uk/)

Anyone ever used either of them??

Doctle Odd
15-06-2013, 11:53 PM
I've used Mr Muscle in the past. You need to take the turbo off but it's easy to do only 4 nuts and 3 bolts plus pipes and breather. You don't need to put the lock carrier in the service position. The revive stuff is snake oil and if it did loosen crud the last thing you'd want is the engine sucking it in. I've not heard of the Innotec product but I'd not put anything near the turbo that I couldn't take off again so take it off first. Carb cleaner is pretty good too and the mother in laws toothbrush is needed to clean the vanes.

turpal
15-06-2013, 11:54 PM
Ive red about Innotec but no hand on experience,should be fine mate,just follow the instructions.You would be surprised how much build up you have in your intake manifold but as you have no skills to remove everything and do a proper job see how you get on with the turbo clean.

Doctle Odd
16-06-2013, 12:06 AM
Turpal do you think spraying stuff into a turbo is a good idea?
Ive red about Innotec but no hand on experience,should be fine mate,just follow the instructions.You would be surprised how much build up you have in your intake manifold but as you have no skills to remove everything and do a proper job see how you get on with the turbo clean.

turpal
16-06-2013, 01:10 AM
Turpal do you think spraying stuff into a turbo is a good idea?

Yes,if the turbo is not mine lol but jokes apart from what I understand it you take the down pipe off and poor the cleaner into turbo exhaust housing and spin it slowly to wet the turbo wheel and so on and once finished there different ways of getting rid of it.If it was me it would be a turbo off job.

Doctle Odd
16-06-2013, 01:43 AM
Me too! IIRC Dredd has an AFN engine so it's pretty easy to get to only one bolt that's really awkward. It's a VNT as well so the front has to come off to clean the vanes anyway spraying the turbine will do nothing for sticking vanes. The idea of sucking 14 years of carbon and a can of acid into an engine scares me :)

turpal
16-06-2013, 01:55 AM
Me too! IIRC Dredd has an AFN engine so it's pretty easy to get to only one bolt that's really awkward. It's a VNT as well so the front has to come off to clean the vanes anyway spraying the turbine will do nothing for sticking vanes. The idea of sucking 14 years of carbon and a can of acid into an engine scares me :)

If the instructions say to spray it into the intake of the turbo than its rubbish really,the only way is if you spray it into the exhaust housing because thats where the veins are.Some solvents will do the job but I`d rather manually clean and see if there is any access movements etc as that unit does alot of work.AFN are great engines.

Doctle Odd
16-06-2013, 02:03 AM
I like those old engines, one of my dreams is to find a car with an AFN engine, barn stored with delivery miles on it.

turpal
16-06-2013, 02:12 AM
I like those old engines, one of my dreams is to find a car with an AFN engine, barn stored with delivery miles on it.

What a dreamer lol me too,saying that I have a supurb tdi pd 100 which was a cat D,fixed using genuine parts and just stood in a garage for years so its a 10year old car with 3544 genuine miles.The exhaust is still gold colour.Might finish doing things next week,just done cambelt and w/pump due to the age and a s/hand ccm.Will need new tyres as the ones on it like new but cracked from flat spots and age.

dreddfan
16-06-2013, 11:46 PM
Hope your ready to fend off the offers for that car Turpal!! See the thread I have up about EGR Clean and you'll see exactly how dirty the valve and manifold were on my engine (not pleasent) I'm working on the theory that if one end of the pipe is that bad then the other end must be pretty bad as well so might as well clean it.

Doc, I have an AHU with turbo part number 028145702.

I could strip the turbo but I have very limited time to work on the car so an insitu solution suits me better.

I just wanted to know what people think of these chemicals and how hard they are to use?
I had to laugh at the Revive 'ivertable pressure sprayer' that you have to remove the pickup pipe from. It looks remarkably like a weedkiller sprayer we got in lidl for a fiver but their one is red so it must be different :p If I do decide to use that stuff, I hope that weedkiller isn't too corosive ;)

Doctle Odd
16-06-2013, 11:52 PM
Those sprays are made out of the same stuff that invisible soap is made out of! You don't have a VNT turbo so no need to clean it so money saved. Send my fee c/o the gutter Kells co Meath LOL

turpal
16-06-2013, 11:56 PM
A good job cleaning the manifold and egr mate,can`t believe how much build up there lol All I can suggest is put some V power and give it a thrush every now and again,does the job,trust me.

Doctle Odd
17-06-2013, 12:24 AM
kauck

dreddfan
17-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Thanks Doc, what do you drink?
The next time the wind is blowing towards Meath i'll throw a pint in the air and hope it gets to you :beerchug:

I had the probe camera in the cold side of the turbo during the EGR clean job and it looked clean with no unwanted movement so the bearings are ok.I just want to try clean everything that will make any difference. Is there any point in cleaning a non VNT turbo?

I must get around to posting the pics of the bottom of the part cleaning tank after the egr job, scary how much crud was there.

Doctle Odd
17-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Thank you very much mate I'll have a pint of Bushmills if that's OK! :beerchug: You could still clean it if you wanted to but there's no vanes to stick and cause under-boosting problems
Thanks Doc, what do you drink?
The next time the wind is blowing towards Meath i'll throw a pint in the air and hope it gets to you :beerchug:

I had the probe camera in the cold side of the turbo during the EGR clean job and it looked clean with no unwanted movement so the bearings are ok.I just want to try clean everything that will make any difference. Is there any point in cleaning a non VNT turbo?

I must get around to posting the pics of the bottom of the part cleaning tank after the egr job, scary how much crud was there.