PDA

View Full Version : Convertible instrument panel removal

Crazyfool
14-06-2013, 09:20 AM
I am hoping it just a light bulb thats blown, but the instrument panel has a dark patch in the perfect location...I was using the car last night and couldn't see how fast I was going between 0 and 50mph!

I've had the unit out of my old Mondeo by trial and error before, but I don't want to run the risk of breaking anything on this car. Does anyone know how to remove the instrument cluster from the dashboard?

Cheers

fourringsrus
14-06-2013, 05:04 PM
Remove the screw/screws which hold together the steering column shroud/cover and remove, this will expose 2 screws at the bottom of the binnacle/cluster unit.
Pop out these 2 screws and wiggle the unit out of the dash, job done.
You may need to remove the steering wheel in order to remove the first shroud/cover but I cant remember if there is a special way to do this in the event of the car having an airbag fitted.
If the steering wheel is off there will be two screws fitted vertically from below that hold the two shroud halves together.
There is then another screw in the lower half ( central) that goes upward from 5-o-clock toward 11-o-clock diagonally which holds the top half to the steering column via a circular clamp.
With this lot undone and removed your cluster comes straight out very easily, PAY ATTENTION TO A COUPLE OF OTHER SCREWS LURKING THAT I MAY HAVE MISSED

Stuart

Crazyfool
15-06-2013, 10:08 AM
Perfect thanks

Crazyfool
17-06-2013, 08:08 PM
Nuts, it's not the bulb. The problems only just occurred, so I'm wondering what it could be.

I might buy another bulb just in case the other is defective.

fourringsrus
17-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Before you buy anything just try a known good bulb from elsewhere in the cluster

Crazyfool
20-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Before you buy anything just try a known good bulb from elsewhere in the cluster

Funnily enough, I was thinking about that the other day. Thanks

Crazyfool
27-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Hmm it's not the bulb

scotty33
27-09-2013, 08:56 PM
My guess is a crack in the printed circuit board. It should be possible to strip the instruments down, find the crack. If you can identify which track needs repairing, solder a 'jumper' in to bridge the crack. If you don't like tinkering best get a s/hand spare?

Crazyfool
08-10-2013, 09:05 AM
I'll have to find some time, otherwise it's a trip to the garage. It was ok during the summer but now the dark nights are drawing in, it's more noticeable.