PDA

View Full Version : 8V to 8P sportback comparison

james_tiger_woo
13-06-2013, 02:24 PM
I'll stop the random postings soon as the new car novelty will wear off :)

A good friend of mine has an 8P (MD 2011) model - albeit in the S Line (Black) edition. So I thought I'd do a quick comparison:

His is the 140 (he couldn't justify the 170) and the 150 is a lot quicker and more economical. I expect the 180 to be very rapid
The dash in the 8P, when compared to the 8V is (in my and his opinion) very cluttered - the 8V is smoother and cleaner
The 8V is quieter
The rear of the car is better looking on the 8V
The door handles (an odd thing to note, I know) on the 8P open upwards - And outwards on the 8V. I prefer the 8V way :)
The armrest in the 8V is a better design than the seemingly afterthought 8P which is quite intrusive (on the 8P)
Interior storage in the 8P is far better than the 8V - the glovebox has more space in the 8P, there's a pocket by your right knee in the 8P to name but two
The boot is a LOT smaller in the new 8V - shallower, shorter and narrower
Interior space is about the same, but nicer in the 8V

That's all - Feel free to debunk or add as you see fit :)

JTW

Guest 2
13-06-2013, 03:35 PM
After having the Sport out on loan, I'd still be steered toward the 8P.

Personally after all the hype everyone made about it, to me, its nothing that special. Ok its a nice looking car but theres nothing there that makes me want to go buy one.

Your points -

I have driven the 140 BE and the 150 8V and totally agree, the 8P was fast but the 8V (for an extra 10bhp) took it to a whole new level.
I agree, the 8P is very cluttered for the size, I like the retracting screen on the 8V which tidies things up
Again, I agree comapred to my 8P. Better built (imo!) too.
After having a BE and 8V I still think the 8P looks better in S-Line and BE trim!
You're odd!
Again, I agree, the 8P armrest seems like an afterthought and if its down at its lowest position, you can't engage the handbrake properly.
Sorta, I added AMI to my 8P which takes out one of the shelves so if this is fitted, its the same as the 8V. I don't have much in my glovebox apart from the user pack and money.
I agree - I found the boot to be very small for the size of car. I only carry my high-vis coat and a pair of boots but it definitely was noticeable.
And finally, I agree, same sorta size but the 8V has a better designed dash which makes it feel bigger than it actually is.

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz90/57_audi/Courtesy%20Cars/OE62RZR/56b4c817-0885-471f-bc73-22e379537d0a_zpsae9eedba.jpg

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz90/57_audi/Courtesy%20Cars/8VA3/43fda374a18cb37027818b6cc37718b6_zps02ec1ad1.jpg

c.grex
13-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Nice post. It's good to read people's thoughts.

im interested in the 181bhp model, has anybody seen any more info when we can expect it?

How do you have so many loan cars Chris!?

Guest 2
13-06-2013, 09:40 PM
I have my A3 and A6 which are both dealer serviced/maintained.

I do 30-35k in my A3 a year so it'll be in 3/4 times a year getting serviced (they usually keep it overnight so I don't have to rush out of work) and leave me a car.

A6 does 10k a year so theres another overnight stay PLUS both cars get MOT'd at Audi so there's another opportunity for a loaner plus any other wee odd's and ends that happen as the miles rack up ;)

Since 2009 I've had -

2010 A8L Sport
2010 S4
2010 A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Special Edition
2011 A4 2.0 TDi Avant
2011 A5 Cabriolet
2011 A1 1.4 TFSI
2011 Q5 2.0 TDi S-Line Special Edition
2012 A5 2.0 TDi Sportback
2013 A6 2.0 TDi SE
2013 A3 2.0 TDi Black Edition Sportback
2013 A3 (8V) 2.0 TDi Sport

Not a bad list eh?

In the A4 Avant I done 6k in it, they weren't pleased when I handed it back but it didn't state there were any mileage restrictions on the T&C's

;)

c.grex
13-06-2013, 09:56 PM
So I guess the obvious questions is 'are you happy you bought the A6 ans A3!' Or would you have preferred one off the list above? (And you would have had to lived with it, inc fuel consumption)

im just going to do 6k in 12 months in my A4!

Guest 2
13-06-2013, 10:06 PM
Off topic a bit but still A3 related ;)

Yeah I'm happy with my cars, I got my A6 at a bargain price when it was 1 year old and still have it 4 years on.

I would love to change to something newer but I keep telling myself, if it aint broke dont change it which I'm not going to atm - I may consider when its out of warranty though in 1.5 years time due to potential expensive issues on the 3.0. It has a habit of blowing glowplugs (currently no1 is out) and the V6 derv is notorious for intake manifold runners which are expensive too.

A3 - yeah very happy. I bought from Audi when it was 2.5 years old with 27k on the clock. Now sitting 1.5 years on at 69k. Been faultless apart from a DPF sensor but this was changed under warranty. I always wanted a 8P but instead I bought a heartbreak of a Megane which cost me 2 replacement engines (2007 full Renault SH with 79k) and splashed out and got the A3.

Out of that list I would love the Q5 but in S-Tronic, the 3.0 A4 (flying machine due to being lighter than my A6) and to replace my 8P Sport, the 8P BE.

Ideally next I would love a A4 BE Avant to replace the A6 and a 8P BE to replace my Sport.

If money were no object I'd have a SQ5 and again, a 8P BE ;)

Any car I get we always try and keep it till they drive no more but with the points above re the A6, might not be the case. I love it but not sure if I could splash out everytime the engine light came on as I wouldn't be protected by the warranty.

c.grex
14-06-2013, 09:23 AM
I would love to change to something newer but I keep telling myself, if it aint broke dont change it

i always tell myself that and it hasn't made any difference! I love our A4, but the wife wants something smaller hence why I'm interested in the A3. Interesting that you like the SQ5, I like it too even though most people seem to say 'what's the point'.