PDA

View Full Version : Child seats in the back of an A4 Avant

neebsta
12-06-2013, 10:09 PM
A4 avant with those daft headrests!! Because the headrests are shaped over the front of the back seat, the only way to get a child seat in properly means you have to extend the headrests right to the upper limit, which results in poor visibility through the rear window. Surprised at such a poorly thought out design, anyone else have this problem?

The Polisher
12-06-2013, 11:02 PM
I fitted child seats with the headrests in place. Mine allowed me to bring the base forward a bit, which allowed the seats to fit with the headrests down.

But, it is a bit silly. I did contemplate removing the headrests but concluded I would either loose or damage them, so left in place.

neebsta
12-06-2013, 11:23 PM
I fitted child seats with the headrests in place. Mine allowed me to bring the base forward a bit, which allowed the seats to fit with the headrests down.

But, it is a bit silly. I did contemplate removing the headrests but concluded I would either loose or damage them, so left in place.

I've just come from an A6 Avant and the headrests were perfect. These do interfere with the back of the childseat, can't understand why Audi R&D would not pick up on this. Specifically as an estate is a 'family' car and the laws regarding child seats mean children could realistically required by law to use the full seat until 11. Crazy IMHO.

Phil K
13-06-2013, 09:22 AM
I have to laugh at the things that bother some over what is pretty much a great car. I wouldn't call it a design fault - the head rests are fantastically comfortable for a normall rear passenger and yes you should also extend them when sat in the back to benefit from the whip lash protection that they are primarily designed to provide. The design feature of being able to lower them out of view when NOT IN USE is great and helps keep an otherwise bulky headrest clear from the drivers rear view...

I have simply raised the headrest in our Avant to fit our baby seat and it fits perfectly. Yes the head rest is extended but i dont find it an issue. If it got in the way, I would simpy remove it and store it in the house safely.

I guess it just depends how you interperate the design...

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e164/dubdemand/e41fb3ff13412daab72d1f5b68c8cd47.jpg

neebsta
13-06-2013, 10:05 AM
I have to laugh at the things that bother some over what is pretty much a great car. I wouldn't call it a design fault - the head rests are fantastically comfortable for a normall rear passenger and yes you should also extend them when sat in the back to benefit from the whip lash protection that they are primarily designed to provide. The design feature of being able to lower them out of view when NOT IN USE is great and helps keep an otherwise bulky headrest clear from the drivers rear view...

I have simply raised the headrest in our Avant to fit our baby seat and it fits perfectly. Yes the head rest is extended but i dont find it an issue. If it got in the way, I would simpy remove it and store it in the house safely.

I guess it just depends how you interperate the design...

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e164/dubdemand/e41fb3ff13412daab72d1f5b68c8cd47.jpg

Yours looks like a junior seat next stage up for both of ours. It's great for adults, but as adults occupy the rear seats in my car 0% of the time, then IMHO it's still a poor design. The A6 headrests were far better. Sure they have been designed so when they aren't in use they're out of the way. But the point remains when the seats are in the headrests are elevated on both sides to the maximum limit.

EDIT - I don't disagree about it being a great car!

kodkod.84
13-06-2013, 10:28 AM
These are the same design as the Golf Mk5- we just took the headrest out job solved as the child seat is rarely moved out of the car

The Polisher
13-06-2013, 04:35 PM

ok when they are little, but as they get older and you raise the backrest up...... headrest gets in the way!!

I'm now in an E Class Merc, proper headrests with no problems!

ScottyUK
13-06-2013, 11:51 PM
Getting the rears out is easy. It's the front's I've never succeeded with!

neebsta
14-06-2013, 12:44 AM

ok when they are little, but as they get older and you raise the backrest up...... headrest gets in the way!!

I'm now in an E Class Merc, proper headrests with no problems!

That's the one, no reverse park sensors on mine either, which exacerbated the problem! Reversing and been able to see through the rear window is a pre requisite!

Probably just have to remove the rests and chuck them in the garage! Or find two headrests like the centre one ;)

Dr Mcr
17-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Does anyone have an se? I don't seem to be able to take my rear headrests out. It would make my life easier if I could.

jme1000
18-06-2013, 09:17 PM
I would recommend a Britax Duo Plus ISOFIX. Just got one for my 10 month old and it fits very securely without moving the headrests. I have a 2010 S line Avant.

neebsta
18-06-2013, 09:58 PM
I would recommend a Britax Duo Plus ISOFIX. Just got one for my 10 month old and it fits very securely without moving the headrests. I have a 2010 S line Avant.

I don't think my Son or Daughter would fit as they're 3 and 5 respectively ;)

The Polisher
18-06-2013, 10:35 PM
I was just going to say, wait a few years!

Mine are 5 and 6, seat back extended up somewhat!

richlean
20-06-2013, 08:32 PM
Does anyone have an se? I don't seem to be able to take my rear headrests out. It would make my life easier if I could.

Yes - I have taken my rear headrests out for this reason.

I seem to remember you just need a small flat blade screwdriver which you put into a slot in one side to release the headrest from its top position. Can't remember which side, but it's only on one leg per headrest.

Plife
21-06-2013, 10:07 AM
I have taken mine out and stored them in the loft. I have 2 Recaro Monza isofix seats and even with the headrest raised when you raise the headrest on the car seat it gets in the way again. Mine is a saloon, but can't see it being much different to the Avant,

Dr Mcr
21-06-2013, 11:39 PM
Thanks, I will give this a go this weekend. :)

Dr Mcr
12-08-2013, 07:48 PM
Well the weekend took a bit longer to get round to than I though. A big thanks for all your help. It worked. The MAxi Cosi Fero-Fix now fits perfectly in the mount points without the seat being tipped forward!