PDA

View Full Version : Fuel consumption/DPF issues 1.6 TDI "Blue motion technology"

dcdick
12-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Anybody interested in comparing consumption figures with my Golf ?
Anybody any opinions of the fuel economy issues ?

To start things off.............

Speedo 630 miles.................................. Current consumption (mpg) 48 overall & 47.2 indicated since last fuel added. By calculation against fuel filled (assuming odometer is correct) is that car readout is 2% optimistic, for me this is close enough for comparisons.

Initially consumption had climbed to 54 mpg until regen started happening at switch off after "short" journeys.

It appears that the filter was "clean" until approx 280 miles then regen started with a resultant increase in consumption.

VW say that the minimum journey in my car should be 15 miles or be prepared & accept that the PDF will run purge cycles & could run for up to 30 mins after end of journey.

This car was bought purely on the basis of economy over the petrol (1.4) alternative & the lease cost was the same so on my estimated mileage of 10/11,000 I should be in the most cost effective motor. The DPF issue was discussed at the time of choosing the car & I was told that it should not be a problem.

Average journeys ? mileage wise, 15-20 ranging from 3-4 up to 50-60 miles with occasional runs of 100+ miles.

I have raised this issue with VW & await there response with some interest.

D

pango1in
12-06-2013, 10:58 PM
I'd add a couple of questions to the list:

1. Would using premium fuels help? Bp Ultimate or VPower are supposedly cleaner than supermarket fuel and don't clog up DPFs as much (along with keeping your engine clean).
2. Does the ECU adapt over time to your driving style? I.e. adapt the air/fuel mix depending on whether you are a boy racer or a more cautious driver (I noticed this a lot when I had my 120d - though it took about 1/2 a tank to take effect). This can increase your MPG significantly.

dcdick
12-06-2013, 11:40 PM
I'd add a couple of questions to the list:

1. Would using premium fuels help? Bp Ultimate or VPower are supposedly cleaner than supermarket fuel and don't clog up DPFs as much (along with keeping your engine clean).
2. Does the ECU adapt over time to your driving style? I.e. adapt the air/fuel mix depending on whether you are a boy racer or a more cautious driver (I noticed this a lot when I had my 120d - though it took about 1/2 a tank to take effect). This can increase your MPG significantly.

Interesting thoughts................running on Shell "standard" at the moment as they are 2 garages I normally use for fuel. Easy way to find out is to run the fuel down & put £40 worth of "super" in & see what happens then do the sums.
ECU adapting to driving style............ now there is a thought................ no signs of that happening as my driving "style" is reasonably constant (certainly not "boy racer")

This begs the question as to what effect the 4 choices on the DSG box give you...........currently running "eco" with the odd short period of "sport" when I need a bit of "urge" .

D

Guest 2
13-06-2013, 06:41 AM
I you want to log your mpg accurately brim to brim then set up a Fuelly account - A3 (Audi A3) | Fuelly (http://www.fuelly.com/driver/chrisaudi/a3)

pango1in
13-06-2013, 07:03 AM
Interesting thoughts................running on Shell "standard" at the moment as they are 2 garages I normally use for fuel. Easy way to find out is to run the fuel down & put £40 worth of "super" in & see what happens then do the sums.
ECU adapting to driving style............ now there is a thought................ no signs of that happening as my driving "style" is reasonably constant (certainly not "boy racer")

This begs the question as to what effect the 4 choices on the DSG box give you...........currently running "eco" with the odd short period of "sport" when I need a bit of "urge" .

D

Shell standard is better than supermarket fuel (apparently...), but not as good as Ultimate of VPower. I've also heard that some two stroke oil in a tank of diesel can work wonders too (about 200:1 ratio). I've noticed our car get quieter on a few tanks of Ultimate, and get better on startups - less clatter, less black smoke. If we had a DPF, presumably it would be cleaner???

According to BP, Millers etc. doesn't work very well, as not integrated into the fuel at refinery stage, as it Ultimate. Could just be marketing though...

I guess if you drive conservatively, you should already be doing the maximum MPG your ECU will allow.......... :p

mcmaddy
13-06-2013, 07:33 AM
You won't see any difference using normal shell fuel to shell vpower or bp ultimate other than your wallet. normal shell will do just fine but avoid Morrison's fuel at all costs due to the high bio crap they use. sainsburys has been ok on mine if not slightly clattery on start up. switched to normal shell and less nose but no considerable increase in mpg.

dcdick
13-06-2013, 08:55 AM
I you want to log your mpg accurately brim to brim then set up a Fuelly account - A3 (Audi A3) | Fuelly (http://www.fuelly.com/driver/chrisaudi/a3)

I don't believe in filling to the brim on every fuel up, normally just stick in £40 when the fuel gauge gets near the red markings. I did some calculations when I first got the car & the display readings were within 2% of my worked out consumption & close enough for me.
If I read your log correctly your mpg is low as well ? (or is that down to your driving "style" ?)

D

pango1in
13-06-2013, 09:23 AM
You won't see any difference using normal shell fuel to shell vpower or bp ultimate other than your wallet. normal shell will do just fine but avoid Morrison's fuel at all costs due to the high bio crap they use. sainsburys has been ok on mine if not slightly clattery on start up. switched to normal shell and less nose but no considerable increase in mpg.

I would disagree with that assessment, apart from supermarket fuel producing more clatter (a sign of inefficient combustion).

Shell fuels only advertise cleaning products in their fuels, which will help keep deposits off of your engine (valves and injectors), thus keeping it running as well as possible. Shell also claims to have synthetic diesel in their fuel, which should burn cleaner meaning less smoke.

BP Ultimate claims to have cleaning additives too, which will clean a dirty engine and protect it from rust too. BP also claims its Ultimate fuel has a higher cetane value than normal fuel (which shell’s doesn’t claim – although some tests show both have a higher cetane value – so not sure what to believe about Shell’s here). Higher Cetane will make the mixture burn more efficiently and at the right time in the compression cycle, meaning less clatter, less smoke and better performance/mpg.

BP ran a test (somewhere on youtube) where an audi had half its engine run on normal and half on Ultimate. After 5000 miles the half on Ultimate was still very clean, the other half was pretty mucky.

Of course you could use Millers as your own additive, but I have seen BP claim that those additives will never work as well, as they weren’t added during the fuel’s refining process. A fifth gear test (or something like it on youtube) confirmed this.

The important point seems to be this: If your engine is caked in grime, then both fuels will help clean your engine and increase your MPG, compared to normal or supermarket fuels. If your car is already clean (e.g. new), then you should notice very little difference. However, you should possibly see more difference with BP Ultimate, as the higher Cetane should give you some additional performance boost (although would you really notice it in real life with a clean engine???).

I have been using BP Ultimate for the last 4 tanks in my car at present. It doesn’t have a dpf. I have noticed that the car is quieter, has literally no black smoke or smell on startup and the engine revs more freely without labouring. Previously, I had been using supermarket fuels. I haven’t noticed any MPG increase, but my driving isn’t consistent enough to run anywhere near a scientific test (presumably this should be done over at least 5000 miles to iron out the kinks).

One test I found on google showed that Ultimate gave a small increase in acceleration (about 0.2 secs to 60) in petrol cars over normal fuel. It also found that a diesel car went from 13.6 to 13.1 to 100 by using Ultimate, rather than normal fuels as it had been used previously.

http://www.caranddriving.com/features2/BP%20ultimate.pdf

It’s not entirely scientific, but better than untested individual experience/preference (like me).

So, my question is this: I wonder if using these fuels will also slow the build-up of soot in the dpf as well, due to the better combustion process, less smoke generally and cleaner engine?

Perhaps those experiencing dpf problems could try it and let us know whether they experience less dpf regens? If it raises the mpg from 48 to, say, 55, then the additional cost is more than outweighed by the mpg increase over constant regens.

My preference would be Ultimate, as BP claims that it does more that Shell’s, but up to you.

dcdick
13-06-2013, 01:53 PM
So, my question is this: I wonder if using these fuels will also slow the build-up of soot in the dpf as well, due to the better combustion process, less smoke generally and cleaner engine?

Perhaps those experiencing dpf problems could try it and let us know whether they experience less dpf regens? If it raises the mpg from 48 to, say, 55, then the additional cost is more than outweighed by the mpg increase over constant regens.

My preference would be Ultimate, as BP claims that it does more that Shell’s, but up to you.

OK looks I'm the first "tester" on this :D................I'll be re-fuelling in a few days & I'll go with the "super" version of diesel & will see how it goes over 3 lots of this (approx 20 gallons of fuel) which should be enough to show any improvement.

At the moment it looks as though this "regen" cycling is costing me around 5-6 mpg in extra fuel used.
If by being cleaner/better fuel it can even half the fuel wasted by active regeneration that would be around 7p per liter which would cover the extra cost of ultimate/premium itself & if as a consequence the car gets another 4-5 mpg/better performance I'm in profit :biglaugh:

Time will tell of course....................interesting to see how this pans out

D

Guest 2
13-06-2013, 03:30 PM
I don't believe in filling to the brim on every fuel up, normally just stick in £40 when the fuel gauge gets near the red markings. I did some calculations when I first got the car & the display readings were within 2% of my worked out consumption & close enough for me.
If I read your log correctly your mpg is low as well ? (or is that down to your driving "style" ?)

D

I lost track and stopped logging the fillups and not doing brim to brim hurts the figures too.

I do 600 miles per week, all motorway and very little town driving so the car is being used to its potential fuel economy wise.

UPTONJE
13-06-2013, 05:10 PM
I have used Shell V power or BP Ultimate for many years now. My last car was Audi A4 Avant 2.0 l ( no DPF) multitronic and I found that the increase in Mpg compensated for additional cost. Smoother running and 100,000 trouble free miles from that engine all led me to carry on using it. Changed car recently to Golf estate 2.0l DSG with DPF. 2012 model Mk6 purchased with 4000 miles now done 6500 mainly urban with few long trips. Using Shell V power averaging 48mpg and 57 to 60 mpg on long journey. Staggered by the economy of this unit, very pleased and not noticed any evidence of DPF regen. No overrun of fan /higher tickover or any other reported DPF regen scenarios. The clean fuel may just be a factor .

turpal
13-06-2013, 05:22 PM
I don`t usually use supermarket fuel (3times in 4 years) but know for a fact that the mpg and how a car pulls differ.As for shell normal vs V-power well you do get a few mpg more and car feels more responsive.I bought a golf gt tdi 110bhp a few years ago and was taking a while on a cold start so I put £20 of BP Ultimate and every morning it was starting better and in less than a week was starting on the button,the same thing on my A4 I had as well.It is an easy experiment for anyone and I can assure you as an ex taxi and courier driver there is a difference.I noticed a good mpg from Esso diesel too.

mcmaddy
14-06-2013, 08:49 PM
It's mainly down to the placebo effect. You think your going to get more because your told it will by bp and shell so you do and think it's amazing!!

dcdick
14-06-2013, 10:53 PM
It's mainly down to the placebo effect. You think your going to get more because your told it will by bp and shell so you do and think it's amazing!!

Interesting statement here....

I would expect to get "more" with the premium fuel & if it turns out that I did fine, that's why I paid the premium rate over "standard".

If I don't get the improvement I am expecting/hoping for in the time scale I have set, it's not the end of the world & I'm only a few £'s out of pocket but at least I have tried it for myself.

My "gut" feeling is that there will be advantages in the premium fuels mainly in a reduction of generated soot in my case, also some benefits in in overall engine performance that I am hoping will be obvious enough to dispel any thoughts of "placebo" effects.

D

pango1in
15-06-2013, 09:22 AM
It's not a placebo when you notice faster starts and less smoke out the back end. It's also not a placebo when you clearly notice that the engine clatters less.

There is definitely a huge gulf in opinion re: the benefits of Ultimate fuels, which to be fair no one customer can really scientifically check one way or the other. But, I would be interested if Ultimate fuels mean that DPF recycles are reduced, as this would go some way to proving that there is some measurable effect on the engine.

maisbitt
17-06-2013, 08:51 AM
I definitely notice a performance increase with Shell vs Esso, and general mpg around the doors is better with Shell too. When i'm driving on a long motorway journey, sitting at constant speed, Esso seems to give slightly better mpg. I have had no issues with Sainsburys Diesel or Morrisons, but Tesco is always poor. I say this as if there is a massive difference, but there isn't - mpg-wise, the difference between the best and the worst is probably about 5%.

Shell V-power Nitro + (Turbo Mach 3 excel etc) diesel makes no difference to me. It is a diesel synthesised from natural gas rather than refined from crude, so it is cleaner than normal diesel, but normal diesel is very clean these days. Unless you're filling up with the odd sly tank of red diesel, you shouldn't be needing to clean up the internals of a newish engine which has never experienced the mucky/low purity diesels of old. Not worth the extra 10p per litre and it is certainly no more potent, unlike using 99RON petrol in a car optimally set up for higher RON usage in preference to 95RON petrol.

I personally wouldn't add 2 stroke oil to diesel fuel, there's a chance you will poison the catalytic surfaces of the exhaust system. That car is set up to combust diesel as cleanly as it can and then burn off the sooty particulates. If you alter the combustion profile of the fuel beyond normal retailer variation (cetane additions) then you risk multiplying the particulate output to make the DPF work even harder.

This is the first time that I realised dcdick's Golf was a DSG. Maybe the action of the DSG box is contributing to the need to regen more often? DSGs usually shift up at the earliest opportunity unless they're being driven hard. Driving the car sedately (or in the highest possible gear at all times due to the DSG's keen-ness to shift up) will extend the time taken to warm up the engine, and if you're doing less than 8 miles on a trip and less than 1/2 of it is at national speed limit speeds, the oil will barely be at 95C by the time you finish your journey.

From your experiences there seems to be no benefit in the 1.6TDI over the 2.0TDI. I drove quite sedately today due to traffic conditions and achieved 54mpg for the trip on my 12 mile commute (combined published figures are 53.3mpg), it would usually be 51/52mpg in these temperatures.

My Dad's DSG GTD will be built and here in 2 to 3 weeks (it is due to be built this week) - it will be interesting to see what mpg that is capable of (published combined = 60.1mpg).

I also see that urban mpg for the 1.6TDI Golf is 61.4mpg - you really shouldn't be getting less than urban figures in all but the most extreme of driving conditions (very cold ambient temp or gridlocked traffic).

If you drive your car very sedately then a TSI is probably a better match for you. TDIs are all about being able to drive them quite hard with almost no fuel penalty or being able to get great mpg across great distances. If your car barely gets warmed up before you reach the end of your typical journey then you won't see much in the way of benefit over the ACT 1.4TSI.

dcdick
17-06-2013, 08:37 PM
I also see that urban mpg for the 1.6TDI Golf is 61.4mpg - you really shouldn't be getting less than urban figures in all but the most extreme of driving conditions (very cold ambient temp or gridlocked traffic).

If you drive your car very sedately then a TSI is probably a better match for you. TDIs are all about being able to drive them quite hard with almost no fuel penalty or being able to get great mpg across great distances. If your car barely gets warmed up before you reach the end of your typical journey then you won't see much in the way of benefit over the ACT 1.4TSI.

Thanks for your answer.......... I don't subscribe to the theory that diesels somehow perform better when driven "hard" but do agree that they should show good (or even great) mpg on longer runs.
The VW published fuel figures clearly show the 1.6 TDI to be way better than the 1.4TSI (even ignoring the mpg figures the % gap is still large).
I don't drive sedately but I don't race around the way I did when I was young............still use the acceleration & switch to sport for overtaking etc.. sometimes

Well "the plot thickens" as they say....................

I put in £40 of Vpower "nitro" yesterday as an experiment ........................ tank is now around 85% Vpower & 15% standard Shell/BP diesel mix........................................ previous "since a refuel" mpg reading was 47.8 mpg
This evening the "since a refuel" reading is now 56.5 mpg......... this is approaching 20% improvement :confused:

Mileage done since refuel is 95 miles, made up of 2 very short journeys (2 miles) 2 journeys of around 6 miles, 2 journeys of 15 miles (medium traffic) & 2 journeys of 25 miles (light traffic)

Since it was at the dealers last week (in workshop for 1.5 hrs for "testing") the mileage did seem to be improving prior to fueling Sunday am.

Just don't know what to make of this engine :(

Very, very early days to be looking for repeatable results, but something is going on for sure...............did the dealer "do something" when they had it in last week ?

VPower nitro is 7p extra per litre where we are & the station I use is a very high volume operation.........26 liters fuel, extra cost £1.82 (& 100 extra "Shell points" added that are worth something as well)

The problem has to be this regen system, since being at the dealers there have been no "forced" regens at journeys end (so far)

D

pango1in
17-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Good to hear that the mpg has increased, although we'll never know if it was the garage or the fuel.

Perhaps the garage emptied the dpf? If so, you might find out in about 300 miles :p...

I collect my golf on Wednesday, so will be starting an mpg test of my own :D

dcdick
17-06-2013, 10:40 PM
Good to hear that the mpg has increased, although we'll never know if it was the garage or the fuel.

Perhaps the garage emptied the dpf? If so, you might find out in about 300 miles :p...

I collect my golf on Wednesday, so will be starting an mpg test of my own :D

Who knows what the garage did .................. 10 mins to wash the car down..........how long for a diagnostic check 20/30 mins ????

The consumption at the moment is certainly better than when the car was new. I would presume that the normal regen process would "empty" the DPF, surely as that is the whole point, to keep the filter working as close to 100% as possible.
Looks like this is going to rumble on & on as I will not be dictated to by a car as to how many miles I should drive & when.
Have to wait until I hit 2,000 miles before the lease company will do something about this, which could well be replacement with a petrol car

D

dcdick
01-07-2013, 03:12 PM
Well, the plot thickens as they say ;)

100 mile round trip this weekend almost exactly 50 miles each way, all m/way/dual/A roads dry & warm traffic constant but light. (2 adults + weekend luggage) Both from overnight "cold" start

Out on Sat morn 62.1 mpg, was showing 65.5 until the last 1/2 mile through the destination town that was slow moving 5 mins at low speed 15/20 mph cost me 3+ mpg on a 50 m journey ??

Return journey on Mon morning returned 59.4 mpg, no hold ups of any kind, same weather conditions as out journey max speed for both journeys was never more than 70 mph for odd occasions while overtaking.

Bit surprised at the return mpg as the gradients seemed to be in favour of the return leg.
Av consumption 60.75 mpg, cars mileage passed 1k on the journey so engine should be working to it's best (or as good as it is going to get)

I had to drive far, far to carefully to get this mpg, using the "freewheel" option on the eco setting as much as possible/anticipation/driving with an egg between my foot & the accel pedal etc..... in these circumstances I should have been getting at least the combined figures of 72.4 mpg driving like this.

Next move is to stick some more fuel in & drive in normal mode without care for economy & see what happens to the mileage

Think I'll try & see if Top Gear will do an economy run in one of these "standard" Mk 7's ................. now that would be interesting !

Not much point in this thread now as no-one with a 1.6TDI has come forward to compare their fuel consumption so I'll just let it go & post any other stuff here

MPG issues ON NEW GOLF MK7 2.0TDI - Page 17 (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?143952-MPG-issues-ON-NEW-GOLF-MK7-2-0TDI/page17)

D

anilberke
18-07-2013, 08:36 PM
With a full tank result :

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/5839/00or.jpg

dcdick
18-07-2013, 10:36 PM
With a full tank result :

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/5839/00or.jpg

That works out to 52 mpg..............still a long way off the 74 mpg quoted by VW :(

D

anilberke
21-07-2013, 12:59 AM
That works out to 52 mpg..............still a long way off the 74 mpg quoted by VW :(

D

but in a heavy city traffic. Everyday after a cold start drive to work for 35km and 35km back to home.

imagine a 15min traffic like this and after that light-heavy traffic for 20min :)

http://www.zaytung.com/fotos/bogaztrafigi.JPG

STEVEP1041
21-07-2013, 12:18 PM
I'm a Driving Instructor so my car gets used and abused regularly! Most driving is done in and around town, on housing estates and with numerous repeated manouevres. Having coverd just over 5k Miles I have no dpf issues because the engine is running all day and it gets the occasional dual carriageway blast. My fuel figures, calculated manually on fuel used to fill, and mileage, give me a regular 48.8mpg using the eco setting. On the long motorway runs I've done I can get 60mpg easily cruising at 70mph over 30-40 miles. In Ireland recently I achieved over 70mpg covering 100 or so miles, cruising at 50-60mph. overall I'm very pleased with the car and am saving about 10% over my Mk6 1.6tdi Golf.

dcdick
21-07-2013, 02:47 PM
but in a heavy city traffic. Everyday after a cold start drive to work for 35km and 35km back to home.

imagine a 15min traffic like this and after that light-heavy traffic for 20min :)

http://www.zaytung.com/fotos/bogaztrafigi.JPG

Ah well......................your getting good results that's for sure :D

Must be the 35km journeys.........the 1.6 I have does not get enough Motorway/Dual Carriageway miles for it to work properly say VW. I was definitely miss-sold this car as I came into this Golf from a diesel car (with DPF) that gave none of the regen stuff that I get now that is costing me so dearly with fuel. The VW way is not my way it seems with the new diesel cars :(

D

dcdick
21-07-2013, 03:04 PM
I'm a Driving Instructor so my car gets used and abused regularly! Most driving is done in and around town, on housing estates and with numerous repeated manouevres. Having coverd just over 5k Miles I have no dpf issues because the engine is running all day and it gets the occasional dual carriageway blast. My fuel figures, calculated manually on fuel used to fill, and mileage, give me a regular 48.8mpg using the eco setting. On the long motorway runs I've done I can get 60mpg easily cruising at 70mph over 30-40 miles. In Ireland recently I achieved over 70mpg covering 100 or so miles, cruising at 50-60mph. overall I'm very pleased with the car and am saving about 10% over my Mk6 1.6tdi Golf.

Well done that man !!

I think your the first I've heard of who is bettering the Mk6 for fuel economy.................the DPF has to be the problem for us folks who only do comparatively low mileages. I also think that the DSG version of the 1.6 has it's own set of issues :confused:

D

anilberke
25-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Ah well......................your getting good results that's for sure :D

Must be the 35km journeys.........the 1.6 I have does not get enough Motorway/Dual Carriageway miles for it to work properly say VW. I was definitely miss-sold this car as I came into this Golf from a diesel car (with DPF) that gave none of the regen stuff that I get now that is costing me so dearly with fuel. The VW way is not my way it seems with the new diesel cars :(

D

It's just being better and better :D :D

after we talked about this issue I switched my car to eco mode and the result is : ( of course I changed my driving style in order to see this )

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/4493/tg6f.jpg

algarve
26-07-2013, 09:47 AM
So the answer seems to be to run at 26mph average ( as it seems your road conditions dictate ) !

anilberke
27-07-2013, 12:10 AM
So the answer seems to be to run at 26mph average ( as it seems your road conditions dictate ) !

test case failed. That was a terrible day. Traffic was crazy. Took 35km in 2 hours. (iron maiden concert and a big accident blocked some main roads) Since start consumption jumped to 12lt with aircondition on. Since refuel consuption jumped to 4,8.

maisbitt
27-07-2013, 08:12 AM
test case failed. That was a terrible day. Traffic was crazy. Took 35km in 2 hours. (iron maiden concert and a big accident blocked some main roads) Since start consumption jumped to 12lt with aircondition on. Since refuel consuption jumped to 4,8.

Damn that Iron Maiden! :D

I will have to tell Janick Gers how much their concert is hurting car mpg next time I see him.

divsec
30-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Hi, I have a 1.6 TDI se manual due for delivery next week. Can anyone suggest mpg out of the box and likely after 10k miles?. I'm a gentle driver but don't mind thrashing it a bit if it will help. Any thoughts about running in or is it all nonsense?
D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

maisbitt
31-07-2013, 08:05 AM
Hi, I have a 1.6 TDI se manual due for delivery next week. Can anyone suggest mpg out of the box and likely after 10k miles?. I'm a gentle driver but don't mind thrashing it a bit if it will help. Any thoughts about running in or is it all nonsense?
D

Running in? Many people will tell you you can do what you like with it, and you can - the car will still function, although maybe not to it's best potential. I am a strong believer in running in properly to get the highest mpg and output as well as low oil consumption (I had one MK5 Golf that was not run in properly and it used a litre of oil every 1000 miles and was dogged by poor fuel economy - the other 5 new VWs have been great).
Variety is the key in it's early miles (first 1000 miles) - If you can (if your commute or driving habits permit), do lots of short to medium (up to 30 miles) journeys of varying speed, moving up through the gears - being quite gentle for the first 500 miles, trying to use no more than 1/2 throttle for the first few hundred miles but don't worry about the occasional incursion into 2/3 throttle. It's not the speed, but it's how you get there. Driving around at 70mph is fine as long as you don't thrash the car to do it. Don't be too gentle, don't be too mean - neither are great for running in your car. The worst thing you can do is take it on a long journey with delivery miles and have it sat at 70mph in 6th for it's first 300 miles.

Right out of the box you'd probably be expecting an indicated 55mpg, maybe 60 if you are lucky. This could drop off a bit if you are plagued by active DPF regens caused by consistently short journeys.

divsec
07-08-2013, 10:46 PM
Hi, just got the car today very pleased. Absolutely standard se manual. But a pleasure to drive. Even messing around, short runs and with less than 200 on the clock I am seeing 50 mpg. Can't wait for a nice cross country drive. Nice car.

divsec
09-08-2013, 07:16 PM
Managed my first proper drive today, 120 miles cross country. Dunstable to Daventry to Banbury to Dunstable. 59 mpg according to the car. I am a very happy bunny.

I would only have seen 45 mpg on my Merv b class (rip) at the very best and nowhere near as much fun. Looking forward to a long run to Devon and Cornwall in September.

KeithS
22-09-2013, 01:27 PM
I'm surprised that a 1.6 blue motion doesn't do more mpg. I have a 2.0 TDI 170 and drive once a week from a little village near Thame to the Bristol M4/M5 junction. So probably 90 miles of M40/A34/M4, about 10 miles on the southern Oxford ring road and a few miles on country lanes. I usually get about 52mpg, the worst I've ever got is about 48mpg, and the best is a whisker under 60mpg. Consumption always seems better on warm dry days and worse on cold wet ones.

algarve
22-09-2013, 03:22 PM
I'm surprised that a 1.6 blue motion doesn't do more mpg. I have a 2.0 TDI 170 and drive once a week from a little village near Thame to the Bristol M4/M5 junction. So probably 90 miles of M40/A34/M4, about 10 miles on the southern Oxford ring road and a few miles on country lanes. I usually get about 52mpg, the worst I've ever got is about 48mpg, and the best is a whisker under 60mpg. Consumption always seems better on warm dry days and worse on cold wet ones.

How many miles does your car have on the clock as a matter of interest?

KeithS
22-09-2013, 03:31 PM
About 65K. It's nearly 6 years old, and the mpg hasn't really changed since the first few months from new. I guess I get good mileage from motorway runs, but even going to the supermarket about 6 miles away, I usually end up around 50mpg.

algarve
22-09-2013, 04:58 PM
Thats good.

I felt my previous Mk6 TDI had only just run in at 62k before I sold it .
Nice and fluid if that makes sense.

bakili
25-02-2016, 09:16 PM
Hey guys
I just bought 1.6 tdi. Mk7 estate. Absolutely love car, and prefer diesel over petrol. I do very rearly long trip miles, mainly commute to work every day 5 miles and 5 miles back. Yes, I know I would be better off with Petrol.
My worry is I had 2 Bluemotions in past 2.0 tdi Passat and MK6 Golf 1.6 tdi and both had egr cooler failed. Symptoms were car was first trying regeneration quite often then dpf light will come on. Driving on motorway with revs over 2k would remove dpf light and car would become normal. Only after few weeks/month glow light flash and visit workshop message appeared on mfd. Both cases were diagnosed with failed egr cooler.
Now I have mk7 golf hoping that it will be improved. After 3 days commuting to work, car started reving higher than normal on idle just above 1k. Came home turned engine off, and fans kicked in, they were running so loud, it felt like hoovercraft sat outside. 10 min later fans went off. I believe car was trying to regen and I turned engine off. Should I leave it running until it returns to normal idle? Is this normal behaviour?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk