PDA

View Full Version : 1000 mile mini report

james_tiger_woo
12-06-2013, 01:49 PM
It's taken a surprising while (for me) to get to 1000 miles (1040) but thought I'd carry on the boring tradition of talking about the car I have. I'm still liking the car, but there are a few things that I'm starting to not like. And a few things I do in fact love.

To recap from my first impressions:

Negative

It's not as economical as I would have thought, but time will tell - I need to drive it on my usual route to compare. +70 isn't a good speed to show proper consumption.
I filled up too and it didn't take as much as the Golf - I'll dig out the receipt to check
There is a storage draw under the drivers seat (storage pack) but not under the passenger one - there is, however, a big gap there :)
There's nowhere to put my sunglasses - there's no overhead storage - something I had been used to
Considering there's no manual handbrake, the centre tunnel takes up a LOT of room
I don't like the 2 layer boot option - I've lowered the shelf and that's where it will stay
I should have gotten Lumbar support - but that's my fault
It doesn't handle as well as the Golf, but that was a GT with lower/stiffer suspension on 18s
The boot just isn't big enough. It's smaller than the last A3 and a LOT smaller than a Mk6 Golf. The boot's side panels feel intrusive and I can't work out where the space between the side and the metal has gone.
The centre "tunnel" seems big. What exactly is taking up all the space in the centre? The cup holders aren't very big and the space behind them is tiny

Positive

I found a pair of ISOFIX points in the passenger seat at the front - that WAS a pleasant surprise - I really hadn't expected that.
I love the handbrake, I've gotten used to it already
The AMI dial is just brilliant - I have to adjust to it properly but I am loving it and how it works with the car
Rear space is just astounding (apart from the boot)
It is quick - quicker than the Golf :)
It's quiet. Very quiet.
And comfortable. The SE on 17 is a good ride - just don't hustle along. You'll find that ditch.
It wants you to go fast. I cruised home at 77/78. Felt like 50.
And at that speed, economy is markedly improved

Others

As the miles rack up, I'm struggling to find a comfortable driving position - I sit low and back as that provides me with the best back support, but this has meant that when cruise is on, my knees are in a funny position as I rest my hands on the steering wheel
When my hands are on the steering wheel, I can't quite get my elbows anywhere - It's odd, not uncomfortable, but odd
Rear washer is on one side of the wiper arm - odd as the water doesn't quite get to the other side of the arm. It does perform the tasks, but not as well
The front washers are jets - the Golf had it as a spray - the spray works better
The mirrors are a revelation - on the golf, the slightest water on the road meant that the mirrors got wet and dirty instantly. Not on the A3 (yay!)
Economy is improving - Driving it at less that 80ish is hard as it just wants to go faster
Cruise doesn't disengage with the clutch any more - Worth noting as it's something I got used to
There seems to be an auto-volume control - when I'm playing something loud and bassy (Bob Marley, The specials, Desmond Dekker, etc), there is a limiter that cuts the volume way down if the bass is up.
The sound system, while good, isn't as good as the Golf was with my Clarion stereo - I think it's the volume limiter that's doing it
This is a real concern though - the Nav/tech screen creaks. The roads around Lincolnshire aren't well surfaced, but the screen audibly creaks and rattles when I'm driving on them - not even on a really bad surface (ironically, on a really bad surface the creaking is less noticeable) - I've taken to putting it down and away.

I am enjoying the car, but there are foibles that are there that I feel I have to highlight. :)

LuboS
16-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Very good report James. Thanks for that. I'm considering buying the same thing, so should you have more to say, please do.

james_tiger_woo
16-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Cheers - I will. Mileage is down due to a lot of working from home and in London, but I will keep posting :)