PDA

View Full Version : Shell V-Power Nitro+ Diesel

chiefinspector
09-06-2013, 05:29 PM
As per the title, does this type of fuel make that much difference to justify the extra cost? I used to own a civic type r and regularly used the V-Power but I'm not convinced it made a huge amount of difference. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are with regards to diesel engines?

Guest 2
09-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Shell V-Power Nitro+ - Anyone filled up today with it? (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?145019-Shell-V-Power-Nitro-Anyone-filled-up-today-with-it&highlight=nitro)

Not this again! :(

I do notice a difference in MPG and range between supermarket fuel and non-supermarket branded fuel ;)

chiefinspector
09-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Apologies, I didn't check the other forums:(. A lesson learnt I guess. I'm not so interested in the MPG, more the performance improvements.

Dan J
09-06-2013, 05:56 PM
I get better mpg in mine using it, it does make a little difference ie more responsive on the throttle and it pulls better but in no way does it make a massive difference.
i use it purely for the extra mpg I get from it.

a_waugh
10-06-2013, 08:59 PM
Ive always used V-Power (both petrol and diesel) in all of my cars. Ibiza FR TDI was good on it, WRX STI needed it, Octavia vRS TDI was much better with it aswell so have continued to use it on my A4 too.

Plus, i love double points on the V-Power card. :D

SunnyBard
10-06-2013, 09:36 PM
I tend to find that supermarket diesel averages out at 18p/mile and v-power at 21p/mile, both +/- a penny depending on driving style and journey type, but I do give mine a few tanks of the expensive stuff every few months ...

wicked677
10-06-2013, 11:06 PM
When popping open the fuelcap on my petrol car it stated that premium fuel was 95RON, this is regular petrol for the UK. Which makes me wonder if putting 99RON into a car that it is not designed for would make any difference. There was an 5th gear test whereby they ran premium fuels in an everyday runaround and it made no difference... apologies for hijacking a diesel thread..

Brycie
10-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Which is odd, because there are two other 5th Gear tests on premium fuels in which they showed that bhp was increased. In one test it was by 6 bhp in a normal saloon car (I linked it in another thread somewhere. The other 5th Gear test, is also linked in the same thread.

wicked677
15-06-2013, 01:10 AM
Yes because from memory the car was built for the higher octane fuel, our Audi A4 class premium as regular... so my thinking is anything higher than 95 is a waste of money and makes no difference. Even my old Lexus says to use premium brands as standard (i never did)... Thats why I was surprised when I opened the fuelcap and noticed the sticker

Brycie
15-06-2013, 02:17 AM
Indeed... and you're absolutely correct. I only use premium fuels for the extra detergents/additives as I figure it'll keep the engine as clean as possible. You'd need Superman-like powers of awareness to notice any difference in power in a 2.0 diesel (who's gonna notice 6 extra bhp?), and the fuel consumption is not noticeably improved. However, I'm willing to pay an extra £6 per tankfull to ensure my engine stays in good nick. I use a mixture of standard Esso/Shell fuel (and Texaco when I have to) and premium, but I'll avoid supermarket fuels at all costs.

Brycie
15-06-2013, 02:27 AM
Shell V-Power Nitro+ - Anyone filled up today with it? (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?145019-Shell-V-Power-Nitro-Anyone-filled-up-today-with-it&highlight=nitro)

Not this again! :(

I do notice a difference in MPG and range between supermarket fuel and non-supermarket branded fuel ;)

I'm not having a go at you Chris with this post, far from it mate, I know your comment was tongue in cheek, but the 'not this again' thing relating to premium fuels that I've seen other mods saying really gets my goat lol. So does the way they slate new threads on fuel consumption figures. Being a motoring forum & fuel being a major part of an engine, you've got to expect it to be a regular topic. Especially with new members joining all the time that weren't included in previous conversations. Anyway, rant over, sorry. I didn't aim this at you as I know you've joined in on fuel threads before, but certain other mods seem to patronise/mock members who start fuel threads.

wicked677
15-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Brycie, supermarket premium fuel is actually better than the esso stuff. Tesco Momentum is 99ron, superior than Esso's 97ron. There is a myth about supermarket fuels, my father worked in the fuel industry for some years and can vouch when I say it all comes from the same refinery... it's the same stuff... but I get your point, I have filled the car up with super a couple of times. I think the AA state 6-8 tank fulls in a row is enough to clean the engine and then you can go back to the 'cheap' stuff..

It's the same with engine oil, the cheap stuff is just as good as double the price castrol or magnetex (whatever it's called)... so long as you buy the correct grade oil for your car..

Brycie
15-06-2013, 05:19 PM
That's interesting about the difference between Tesco & Esso premium fuels - did nkt kniw that. Or hiw many tankfuls you should need to give your engine a good cleanse. Very informative there Wicked.

I do know it all comes from the same refinery & each supermarket has it's own supier (Tesco being Esso, Sainsburys being Shell Asda being BP etc). But after being picked up at the refinery, Esso will add detergents to the fuels it delivers to it's own forecourts that it doesn't add to the stuff it takes to Tesco forecourts. May have to give Tesco Premium a go at some point just for curiosity.

Redcar01
15-06-2013, 10:21 PM
Hi All, I asked the question this week about additives and I have used Millers Eco power ecomax . I have only done 120 miles since I put it in and I can say it is quieter and the mileage to work actually shows I am getting 40 mpg instead of 36 mpg on my way to work this is on a 12 plate 2.0 tdi multitronic hope it gets better, soon to do run to south of France so hope mpg will get even better, 12k when I bought it in Jan now 15k.

wicked677
16-06-2013, 02:07 AM
I would personally avoid ESSO if you were to put in a premium brand as it's a lower quality of premium @ 95ron. Always stick to BP Ultimate, Shell V-POWER or Tesco Momentum for the full 99ron. Considering ESSO is priced the same as the others they are actually duping people into believing you are paying for a premium brand ;)

The reason why people believe all of the hype is very clever marketing and sponsorship. Think of it this way, Tesco don't grow peas... they buy them in. This is the same for their premium fuels (and their regular fuels). They will ALL claim their additives are that much greater. But it's down to what you can believe, and science will prove there is little or no difference for everyday road use.

I have looked into this and had various debates on other forums (particular the lexus owners club) and found that the fuel in the European Union is far superior of that of the United States... So in terms of worrying about engine damage, you are safer here.

The best way to look after your engine is to not put your foot down and drive like everyday is a Sunday ;) I get a minimum of 40mpg in my petrol 1.8T and thats not because I convince myself additives work its because I drive slowly and anticipate traffic/lights..

Brycie
16-06-2013, 08:37 AM
Again,:an interesting read. Thanks Wicked. I buy Shell where I can anyway & I think I'll stick to it. I did a little test with VPower (before Nitro came out) v BP Ultimate a whike ago & I got a very slightly better mpg figure with Shell. It's going to be much of a muchness, but..... every little helps.

markp306
16-06-2013, 09:05 AM
I get a minimum of 40mpg in my petrol 1.8T and thats not because I convince myself additives work its because I drive slowly and anticipate traffic/lights..

That is exceptional for a petrol a4! Is that the consistent tank average too or certain journeys?

markp306
16-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Again,:an interesting read. Thanks Wicked. I buy Shell where I can anyway & I think I'll stick to it. I did a little test with VPower (before Nitro came out) v BP Ultimate a whike ago & I got a very slightly better mpg figure with Shell. It's going to be much of a muchness, but..... every little helps.

Ive noticed better response and mileage with shell too on the last couple of tanks at least, and that wasn't even the nitro+. The car has just 'requested' a service on the DIS too, so may not be on 'peak form'.

Normally I'll go by price (usually Esso in this neck of the woods) but reading this thread I'm starting to think i need to be paying closer attention to this and considering brand choice too.

That will be shell for me then - and the car.

wicked677
16-06-2013, 10:29 PM
40mpg is standard, i have gotten up to 47.7mpg so far but that was doing 50mph on a 70 duel carriageway over a 5 mile stretch, infact I can still drive like a mad-man and get 37-39mpg.. but not since I have owned it for a while now..

Bare in mind I do have the baby 1.8 T petrol engine

Didn't buy the car for MPG, as the bargain price of £9,400 negates any MPG savings I would make if I had kept the Lexus..