PDA

View Full Version : B8 A4 Winter Wheel Thread

neebsta
05-06-2013, 06:47 AM
Seems strange asking this at the beginning of June, but it is the last thing that I need to sort out having recently changed from a A6 C6 Avant to an A4 B8!

i have a full set of Audi approved alloys and winter tyres in the garage which have done the last 3 years, but are now useless to me due to the A4 centre bore and off set change. The wheels are 17x7J with 225 x 50 Continental Winter Contacts on.

To make a cost effective change, I have found an OEM set of A4 B8 alloys which are 17x8J which I am considering buying to swap my tyres onto. The rolling radius changes by less than 1.00% and 4mm. My only slight issue is that Audi tend to supply 7J rims as a preferred width. I know this is for less floatation and more bite etc. Can anyone see a problem with using an 8J rim instead?

Apologies for a winter tyre in Summer question - just want to get this sorted out so it's not a panic at the end of the year!

neilos100
05-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Can't see any major issues....rolling diameter is within tolerances. Narrow is better for sure on winter tyres but I don't see an inch making much difference.
I'm actually using A4 wheels for my winters, 7.5J....with a spigot ring to make up for the different centre bore. I realise it can't be done the other way round though.
What are your A6 wheels like?
Could be open to a swap? Then you wouldn't need the outlay for a new set of rims...

Neil

Sent from my phone...

Guest 2
05-06-2013, 04:16 PM
I think I'll get winters for my A6 this year, had a good experience with them on my A3 winter past and before having them, didn't see what the fuss was about but now I realise they do work. ;)

I bought a standard set of 16" A3 alloys with Dunlop Winter Sport 3D with 6.5mm tread remaining for a shade over £200.

neebsta
05-06-2013, 04:46 PM
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh114/neebsta74/image-30_zpsf81fcfd9.jpg

These are mine that I currently have sat in the garage - shame as they're in ace nick. They are the genuine A6 winter wheels available via Audi for the A6 C6.

Guest 2
05-06-2013, 04:46 PM
Mucho £££ if you were going to sell?

Feel free to PM ;)

neebsta
05-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Mucho £££ if you were going to sell?

Feel free to PM ;)

I'll PM you later, I hadn't really given it much thought to be honest. Who'd be barmby enough to sell or buy winter wheels in summer!!??:biglaugh:

For some reason I'm struggling to PM from my iPad, it won't bring up a message field.

Cheers

Neil

Guest 2
05-06-2013, 05:34 PM
No problem - no real rush as its only June!

I cant even fit 16s to the A6 as they won't clear the front brakes! :(

neilos100
05-06-2013, 05:51 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/06/y2u3ypev.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/06/2areqy7a.jpg

Mine.....

Sent from my phone...

neebsta
05-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Are they A4 specific with centre bore of 66.6 and et 47? :D

neilos100
05-06-2013, 10:40 PM
Deffo off a B8....centre bore is indeed 66.6mm cos I have to use the spigots to bring it down to the 57.1 of the A6. Can't remember the offset....will look tomorrow when I get home from work. I looked up the part number a while back when I got them and they are apparently also winter alloys....what the difference is between them and summer ones I don't know.

Neil

Sent from my phone...

Boy
05-06-2013, 10:44 PM
You should consider whether with a wider wheel you will still be able to fit and run your chains when necessary.

neebsta
05-06-2013, 11:08 PM
I have Spike Spider Sport chains -which we've used on our 3 most recent ski trips they're pretty flexible TBH, they don't wrap over the back of the wheel, the chains simply sit on the tyre held in place by a bizarre looking spider attached to your hub. Great contraption though, plus fitting takes about 10 seconds.

I doubt I'll need chains anyway, the past 3 winters, 2 of which were horrific, the winter tyres have been more than adequate. They make a huge difference and should IMHO be made a legal requirement in this country.

neilos100
06-06-2013, 01:10 AM
I've seen the Spiders and they do seem as if they do a great job.....certainly if I were to ever need chains they are what I would buy.
Neil

Sent from my phone...

Guest 2
06-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Quick Q -

Is the 225/50/17 the standard size for the A6 17s?

Brycie
06-06-2013, 06:52 PM
Yes, that's what I have on mine.

Guest 2
06-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Excellent - thank you!

neebsta
06-06-2013, 07:38 PM
Yes - these wheels are to the exact specification supplied by Audi as a winter wheel package. 225x50x17

croakey
14-09-2013, 02:19 PM
Ordered some OEM Audi a4 b8 steels from Germany... To save me taking wheels off etc does anyone know if they're a direct fit?

Guest 2
14-09-2013, 02:20 PM
If they're from a B8 and were listed for a B8, then they'll fit a B8 ;)

croakey
14-09-2013, 02:21 PM
That's the theory I'm working to!

However I wasn't sure about different size brake calipers etc?

Guest 2
14-09-2013, 02:22 PM
I think its only the V6 diesels that had bigger front brakes.

If they don't fit just return them not as described.

hejikibob
14-09-2013, 04:39 PM
I'm not sure if its the same on Audi's but Alloys and Steelies need different nuts on Fords. Something to do with the shape of the holes.

croakey
14-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Ok so an update of sorts....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/croakey/20130914_163043_zpsc5dc75c4.jpg

Decisions now is whether to paint them silver or black?

Guest 2
14-09-2013, 04:50 PM
Keep them black they'll look stupid silver (imo).

croakey
14-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Black means never needing to clean them (bonus)

My last car had g60 steels on.. Which were silver (nostalgia)

Plife
14-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Keep black would get my vote. Unfortunately they are never going to look good, but will look a lot better moving than stuck on the drive :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

cma
14-09-2013, 09:07 PM
What price and where did you get them from?

croakey
14-09-2013, 09:40 PM
Direct from a German supplier, and from memory about £130 delivered

wicked677
16-09-2013, 05:22 AM
May I ask why you purchased these, you mentioned to save you taking the wheels off but that's what you have just done with these... Am I missing something?! If you are doing it for winter tyres you could just buy a cheap set of 16" from eBay for about £100 delivered and then re-use the tyres for summer?

neebsta
16-09-2013, 05:24 AM
Just picked up a an absolute bargain set of OEM 17" SE 10 spokes off eBay - so I am going to stick my winter tyres from my old A6 rims on to these new rims.

Bring on Winter!

neebsta
16-09-2013, 05:28 AM
It will be so he doesn't have to take tyres off rims. You just have two sets of rims - one with summer tyres and one with winter tyres. That's what I do, much easier than messing with tyre swapping onto existing rims.

Guest 2
16-09-2013, 07:38 AM
It will be so he doesn't have to take tyres off rims. You just have two sets of rims - one with summer tyres and one with winter tyres. That's what I do, much easier than messing with tyre swapping onto existing rims.

Thats what I do too, 16s for winter and 17s for summer.

neebsta
16-09-2013, 08:48 AM
Thats what I do too, 16s for winter and 17s for summer.

I have more girth :) 17s for Winter and 18s for Summer!:biglaugh:

gr4z
16-09-2013, 08:56 AM
Sorry to hijack the thread but what do all these terms like bore, offset or 7.5J mean?? I am after some winter wheels and tyres for my incoming B8 but am not sure what I need??! Its a Black Edition so has the 19" wheels, I don't want to use them in the winter when the snow comes...so I would think 17" or 18" wheels should be fine. Seen a few on eBay but unsure which ones I should be looking at. Audi's own 17" set come in at £1100ish with tyres.
Thanks

Guest 2
16-09-2013, 09:08 AM
I have more girth :) 17s for Winter and 18s for Summer!:biglaugh:

Haha my A3 has 17" summers so I wouldn't treat the car to 18's just for winter :rolleyes:

I'm thinking 18" winters for my A6 quattro however, 19" summers so beat that :p

neebsta
16-09-2013, 10:41 AM
Sorry to hijack the thread but what do all these terms like bore, offset or 7.5J mean?? I am after some winter wheels and tyres for my incoming B8 but am not sure what I need??! Its a Black Edition so has the 19" wheels, I don't want to use them in the winter when the snow comes...so I would think 17" or 18" wheels should be fine. Seen a few on eBay but unsure which ones I should be looking at. Audi's own 17" set come in at £1100ish with tyres.
Thanks

Bore is the size of the hole in the centre of the wheel. 7.5J is the width of the rim edge to edge. Offset is essentially the distance from the centre line of the wheel to the hub face.

I'd recommend 17" for a deeper sidewall.

gr4z
16-09-2013, 10:43 AM
So what 17" wheel do you guys recommend for a 2013 B8? Thanks

Guest 2
16-09-2013, 10:44 AM
So what 17" wheel do you guys recommend for a 2013 B8? Thanks

Any B8 A4 or A5 wheel as the bore size of the B8 is different to most other Audis.

eBay, gumtree etc is your best bet.

neebsta
16-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Any B8 A4 or A5 wheel as the bore size of the B8 is different to most other Audis.

Yes, this advice. Look at what is currently on A4 B8 SE specced cars and you'll find a nice set of 17s

croakey
22-09-2013, 12:15 AM
Yes, this advice. Look at what is currently on A4 B8 SE specced cars and you'll find a nice set of 17s

Or just buy some steelies and worry less about cleaning them etc.

cma
23-09-2013, 10:24 PM
What is the bore size for the b8 just so when I collect a set I can check I'm not being sold the wrong thing.

Guest 2
23-09-2013, 10:26 PM
66.6mm as per the first page ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neebsta
23-09-2013, 10:45 PM
66.6mm as per the first page ;)

Damnit you're quick on the draw :)

gr4z
24-09-2013, 09:33 AM
Has anyone got a picture of the Audi winter wheel set on a B8 pref a Black Ediition? Just would like to have a look what it looks like before possibly ordering the set.
Thanks

two_paracetamol
28-09-2013, 08:04 AM
Has anyone got a picture of the Audi winter wheel set on a B8 pref a Black Ediition? Just would like to have a look what it looks like before possibly ordering the set.
Thanks

I have an Avant Black Edition. Winters are in the garage at present but would be happy to send pictures of wheels, bags, and mock up a pic with them stood next to the car if you like? If i get the angle right should look like it is on the car...

two_paracetamol
28-09-2013, 09:33 AM
While on the Winter Tyres subject - can't stop myself taking the opportunity to wax lyrical about Winters. I bought the Audi set last winter thinking "well the tyres are cheaper than my summer (255/35/19) size so they will save me money on tyres and I can sell the alloys on and no doubt over the next five years this is true... Having run them for a winter I think they're worth £1200 for one season IMHO. The feeling of accelerating away from a struggling Bimmer up a snow covered hill was my biggest smile of last winter. Just remember they do not change the laws of physics for you, they are narrower and corner differently to summer Contis at speed (eg motorway roundabouts just don't feel as planted), and finally you still need to leave a bigger gap to the car in front because the guy BEHIND you isn't going to realise how fast you will stop when it is really cold or wet/snowy (this lesson nearly cost me dearly last year but managed to swerve out of his way when I heard him skidding!!!) One last thing, if the snow get's more than a foot or so deep the front valance is NOT DESIGNED TO WORK AS A SNOWPLOW but the tyres will keep going!!!!!!!

gr4z
28-09-2013, 11:52 AM
I have an Avant Black Edition. Winters are in the garage at present but would be happy to send pictures of wheels, bags, and mock up a pic with them stood next to the car if you like? If i get the angle right should look like it is on the car...

That would be great thanks if you could. Are they the Audi OEM wheels bought from Audi direct?

neebsta
28-09-2013, 12:52 PM
While on the Winter Tyres subject - can't stop myself taking the opportunity to wax lyrical about Winters. I bought the Audi set last winter thinking "well the tyres are cheaper than my summer (255/35/19) size so they will save me money on tyres and I can sell the alloys on and no doubt over the next five years this is true... Having run them for a winter I think they're worth £1200 for one season IMHO. The feeling of accelerating away from a struggling Bimmer up a snow covered hill was my biggest smile of last winter. Just remember they do not change the laws of physics for you, they are narrower and corner differently to summer Contis at speed (eg motorway roundabouts just don't feel as planted), and finally you still need to leave a bigger gap to the car in front because the guy BEHIND you isn't going to realise how fast you will stop when it is really cold or wet/snowy (this lesson nearly cost me dearly last year but managed to swerve out of his way when I heard him skidding!!!) One last thing, if the snow get's more than a foot or so deep the front valance is NOT DESIGNED TO WORK AS A SNOWPLOW but the tyres will keep going!!!!!!!

They are also made from a different rubber compound to allow them to work effectively at temperatures below freezing. I've had them for 4 years now, like the rest of Europe they should be made a legal requirement in this country rather than 'Driver Choice'.

two_paracetamol
29-09-2013, 09:26 AM
That would be great thanks if you could. Are they the Audi OEM wheels bought from Audi direct? Ok. So here they are. These are what Audi were describing last year as 5 Spoke winter alloys with Dunlop Winter Sport 3D 225/50/17 tyres. They were listed as suitable for all B8 variants except 200kW and S4 (but do check with your dealer). Ordered direct from Blackburn Audi they arrived in just over a week. It took them 2 1/2 HOURS to fit them so now my local Kwik Fit do the swapping for me. The bags lay out flat so you can stand a wheel in them and then wrap the bag around and it Velcros shut. Carrying handles are robust. In the picture you can see they have the 4 rings one side but on the other side of the carry handle (L in pic) there is a diagram of a car and what you cannot quite make out is that the wheel on the diagram for the Offside Rear is coloured green and the other three wheels are white. This indicates that this wheel came off the Offside Rear (handy). These tyres have done a season which means about 8-9000 miles of mainly motorway. I averaged a 3 MPG improvement in fuel consumption compared to Contis on motorway runs (41 on Winters instead of 38) in winter. Interesting point is that my Contis average 41 MPG summer and 38 MPG winter (seems odd perhaps but am certain of this as this is on the same run, cruise set etc etc - no other variables than temperature excluded!) Obviously I don't know what the Winter tyres summer consumption is like... If you would like the picture in high res I'm happy to do that. Just PM me. Hope this helps - I found the info from Audi scanty at best about how these wheels looked and had to buy on a leap of faith really. My personal view is the car does not look as good with the winters on but it saved me an accident and got me home over the snowy hilltops one night through a drifting snowstorm when everyone else had to sit on the M6 building snowmen and waiting for the Snowploughs to get them out. WHAT A RESULT!

gr4z
29-09-2013, 10:15 AM
2258422585225862258722588 Ok. So here they are. These are what Audi were describing last year as 5 Spoke winter alloys with Dunlop Winter Sport 3D 225/50/17 tyres. They were listed as suitable for all B8 variants except 200kW and S4 (but do check with your dealer). Ordered direct from Blackburn Audi they arrived in just over a week. It took them 2 1/2 HOURS to fit them so now my local Kwik Fit do the swapping for me. The bags lay out flat so you can stand a wheel in them and then wrap the bag around and it Velcros shut. Carrying handles are robust. In the picture you can see they have the 4 rings one side but on the other side of the carry handle (L in pic) there is a diagram of a car and what you cannot quite make out is that the wheel on the diagram for the Offside Rear is coloured green and the other three wheels are white. This indicates that this wheel came off the Offside Rear (handy). These tyres have done a season which means about 8-9000 miles of mainly motorway. I averaged a 3 MPG improvement in fuel consumption compared to Contis on motorway runs (41 on Winters instead of 38) in winter. Interesting point is that my Contis average 41 MPG summer and 38 MPG winter (seems odd perhaps but am certain of this as this is on the same run, cruise set etc etc - no other variables than temperature excluded!) Obviously I don't know what the Winter tyres summer consumption is like... If you would like the picture in high res I'm happy to do that. Just PM me. Hope this helps - I found the info from Audi scanty at best about how these wheels looked and had to buy on a leap of faith really. My personal view is the car does not look as good with the winters on but it saved me an accident and got me home over the snowy hilltops one night through a drifting snowstorm when everyone else had to sit on the M6 building snowmen and waiting for the Snowploughs to get them out. WHAT A RESULT!

Thanks very much for this. As you say information from Audi is sketchy but I think for 17" winter wheels they look good. I will be ordering some when my car arrives early November.

Is there any reason why you can't fit the wheels yourself? Does they require a pro to do it? Just wondering if I could it myself with a jack and an hour of my time.

Thanks again.

two_paracetamol
29-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Right, for those of you that thought my last few posts seemed a bit obsessive this is where it gets really weird... I won't jack my car with a scissor jack unless it is an emergency. It goes to the local Kwik-Fit Premier for two reasons. First, the premier branches have lifts in every fitting bay and they know me now so always lift it with rubber blocks under my jacking points. Second I like balanced wheels so this gets rebalancing done every six months without the wife calling me "ridiculous". Now you know - I feel so ashamed. Anyway, moving swiftly on, no reason you can't do it yourself if you like. If I was going to do it I would need a lift, an inspection pit and a set of torque wrenches in the garage so it isn't economically viable :confused:.

Boy
29-09-2013, 09:31 PM
I appreciate why you like to be careful of your car, but I like to be aware of what is what underneath, so the changes to and from Winters is one of the opportunities to check things out. I'm surprised that you feel the need to rebalance every six months. I may have been lucky, but I have not suffered any symptoms of imbalance for years. I drive about 30,000 miles a year, so the tyres are changed quite often anyway. What I would be interested to hear is to what extent you can feel a difference in the hardness of your suspension between the summers which are clearly much lower profile, and the winter which should feel a lot softer. i see you are not an S line, but has the Black the same fairly hard suspension?

two_paracetamol
29-09-2013, 10:18 PM
The Black Edition is basically an S-Line with styling changes, 19" alloys, and some bits (namely B&O & AMI) or so it was when I ordered the car. The winter profile certainly allows for a slightly softer ride than on the 19s with less thumping about on road divets and the like. Having driven standard suspension A4s though I would say if Standard suspension is a one, and S-line is a ten, then S-line with Winter tyres is about a 7 or 8 for hardness. What I do notice more readily is the winters are the quieter of the two by some margin to my ears. They sort of rumble a little more but there is less high pitch noise at Mway speed so I find them less intrusive. I think the difference in cornering may be down to profile (see earlier post) although I do wonder if reduced lateral stability is partly tread pattern - sure one of the tech guys about could let us know which it is likely to be...

Boy
30-09-2013, 10:36 PM
Thanks. I am looking forward to experiencing the difference when I fit my 17" with my winters late next month. I have to say that at times the S line suspension is rather brutal!

neebsta
30-09-2013, 10:46 PM
Thanks. I am looking forward to experiencing the difference when I fit my 17" with my winters late next month. I have to say that at times the S line suspension is rather brutal!

You'll notice a huge difference when you drop to 17" rims with a deeper sidewall. I almost preferred the drive of my old A6 Avant on Winter Wheels because of the improved ride.

croakey
10-10-2013, 01:41 PM
Some answers....

16 steel wheels will fit a diesel s-line

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/croakey/20131010_133120_zps6d5413b1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/croakey/20131010_133130_zps08c54e9a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/croakey/20131010_133140_zps71795773.jpg

Buy the wheels off German eBay, buy some winter tyres (Nokians in my. Case).. £400 job done

Here's some pictures

neebsta
10-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Or, buy some A4 17" SE Alloys and a full set of Continental Winter Contacts - pics up when fitted ;)

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh114/neebsta74/4d04e7ff1fae929b4af3c3253ad12ffc_zps9c9631c7.jpg

Like these ;)

Guest 2
10-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Some answers....

16 steel wheels will fit a diesel s-line

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/croakey/20131010_133120_zps6d5413b1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/croakey/20131010_133130_zps08c54e9a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/croakey/20131010_133140_zps71795773.jpg

Buy the wheels off German eBay, buy some winter tyres (Nokians in my. Case).. £400 job done

Here's some pictures

Looks very odd! 16's may not fit V6 models due to the larger front brakes.

fat controller
10-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Or, buy some A4 17" SE Alloys and a full set of Continental Winter Contacts - pics up when fitted ;)

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh114/neebsta74/4d04e7ff1fae929b4af3c3253ad12ffc_zps9c9631c7.jpg

Like these ;)

Crikey! They are what I have for 'good' wheels.

I generally don't bother with winter wheels/tyres (or at least I haven't so far), as my mileage isn't all that much and most of my essential mileage when the weather gets really bad is done on main A-roads which are generally well gritted.

croakey
10-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Looks very odd! 16's may not fit V6 models due to the larger front brakes.

They do indeed look a tad odd to begin with however they've grown on me already...

2 points to be aware of

1) smaller wheels make the car look huge
2)as my friend pointed out - I now look like a member of the Lithuanian mafia

Guest 2
10-10-2013, 07:40 PM
They do indeed look a tad odd to begin with however they've grown on me already...

2 points to be aware of

1) smaller wheels make the car look huge
2)as my friend pointed out - I now look like a member of the Lithuanian mafia

Haha true! You should get a nice(!) set of wheel trims if thats your thing ;)

cma
10-10-2013, 09:51 PM
Just got myself a set of 17" SE wheels. Just need to get some winter tyres now. I'll be going for the 225/50/17 as thats what was fitted I think but what speed rating should I get? V or H?

neebsta
10-10-2013, 10:30 PM
Crikey! They are what I have for 'good' wheels.

I generally don't bother with winter wheels/tyres (or at least I haven't so far), as my mileage isn't all that much and most of my essential mileage when the weather gets really bad is done on main A-roads which are generally well gritted.

I do approx 40,000 miles a year, so really need to keep mobile. I just have a set of wheels with winter tyres on and a set with summer tyres on. Winter Wheels normally get fitted the end of October beginning of November through to the end of March.

An auto box and summer tyres and winter ice and snow is a recipe for disaster. Without the winters I couldn't even get my car off the drive!!!

i really like these SE alloys, which is why I picked them - they are a great looking wheel fat controller. There was an A4 B8 in Canada on one of the forums with this wheel and winter tyre combo.

neebsta
10-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Just got myself a set of 17" SE wheels. Just need to get some winter tyres now. I'll be going for the 225/50/17 as thats what was fitted I think but what speed rating should I get? V or H?

I'd get a 'H' rating.

croakey
11-10-2013, 09:35 AM
My mileage isn't anywhere near 40k, but I live on a hill that often doesn't defrost for weeks, and being in one of the emergency services it's kind of important I can get to work.

If I can't get in with winter tyres and brute force then I guess at least I've tried lol

markp306
19-10-2013, 04:49 PM
So how do these winter tyres actually drive without snow/ice on the ground? I've noticed the 18 inch dunlops are hinting at wheels spin already in the wet and damp conditions but the temperature is still in double figures. Forum members are talking about switching in the coming weeks, so is that in preparation for snow, temperature drop or just that they are a better wet road bet, now that the normal UK weather service has been restored? My previous B8 SE on 17s wasn't much different.

Brycie
19-10-2013, 04:51 PM
My Dunlops were absolutely fine throughout summer - no issues at all.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

neebsta
19-10-2013, 05:47 PM
So how do these winter tyres actually drive without snow/ice on the ground? I've noticed the 18 inch dunlops are hinting at wheels spin already in the wet and damp conditions but the temperature is still in double figures. Forum members are talking about switching in the coming weeks, so is that in preparation for snow, temperature drop or just that they are a better wet road bet, now that the normal UK weather service has been restored? My previous B8 SE on 17s wasn't much different.

They improve driving in the wet, fuel efficiency (generally thinner wheels) and the difference in driving in snow and ice is like night and day, compared to summer tyres.

I put my wheels on normally around now and run them through to March - they are probably not as good as Summer tyres in the warmer weather. I thought they were still decent enough in the warmer spring weather, but wouldn't want to run them in peak summer.

Brycie
19-10-2013, 06:23 PM
I ran them in peak summer & the only difference was in high speed cornering. That's the only time I could really tell they weren't designed for warm weather.

markp306
20-10-2013, 10:28 AM
My Dunlops were absolutely fine throughout summer - no issues at all.

Yes agreed - fine in the high summer but starting to struggle now (wet conditions).

gr4z
28-10-2013, 05:31 PM
Guys
Just after some advice...my B8 Black Edition is delivered in a few weeks. I am tempted just to buy some 19" winter tyres instead of the Audi 17" wheel/tyre combo sets for £1300. Is there any reason why I should not invest in some 19" winters? Seems a much cheaper way of doing it ~£900 (for some Dunlop 4Ds) instead of £1300?

Guest 2
28-10-2013, 05:35 PM
Change the rims to save your nice Rotors getting salty and corroded?

Buy both (tyres and rims) off eBay, remember you can use a combo of spigot rings with any Audi wheel (given that they're 5x112) and don't concentrate on the aesthetics of the winter wheel too much. If you look back a couple of pages, someone put steelies on their B8.

gr4z
28-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Buy both (tyres and rims) off eBay, remember you can use a combo of spigot rings with any Audi wheel (given that they're 5x112) and don't concentrate on the aesthetics of the winter wheel too much. If you look back a couple of pages, someone put steelies on their B8.

Thanks for this and apologies for being dumb but what does spigot rings and 5x112 mean??

Guest 2
28-10-2013, 05:42 PM
Spigot rings will convert the older <2011 bore size of 57.1mm into the current 66.6mm (which all B8 platform cars use). 5x112 is the stud pattern.

gr4z
28-10-2013, 05:50 PM
A quick dig around and found these on flea bay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17-Genuine-Audi-A6-A8-A4-B8-SE-Alloys-/261274392694?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Trims _Car_Rims_ET&fits=Car+Make%3AAudi&hash=item3cd52ad876

Any comments?

Guest 2
28-10-2013, 05:51 PM
Thats what you need. I see it says ring them for a bit more discount, couldn't beat that!

neilos100
28-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Spigot rings will convert the older <2011 bore size of 57.1mm into the current 66.6mm (which all B8 platform cars use). 5x112 is the stud pattern.

Just remember spigot rings will only REDUCE the bore size....Chris, the above is **** about face....won't work that way round. Can't put a 66mm peg in a 57mm hole however hard you try! :D

Sent from my phone...

Guest 2
28-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Oopsies ;)

I blame the timechange! :biglaugh:

neilos100
28-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Guys
Just after some advice...my B8 Black Edition is delivered in a few weeks. I am tempted just to buy some 19" winter tyres instead of the Audi 17" wheel/tyre combo sets for £1300. Is there any reason why I should not invest in some 19" winters? Seems a much cheaper way of doing it ~£900 (for some Dunlop 4Ds) instead of £1300?

17s will perform much better in the snow and slushy stuff too...they have a narrower profile which will be less prone to skating over the surface. Same reason rallye cars have stupidly thin tyres when on gravel roads.
Neil

Sent from my phone...

neebsta
28-10-2013, 08:54 PM
Plus the deeper the tyre the better the protection against kerb/wheel damage! - 17s will be fine - looking forward to putting mine on if I still have a car to get back too following the storms :)

croakey
30-10-2013, 11:30 AM
So 2500 miles in and i can report.

No noticeable change in road noise
Massively improved feel in heavy rain, seems to cut through deep puddles with minimum tug

Only negative is the slightly odd ride at times, I think the combination of high sidewalls (lots of flex) and s line suspension (not much flex) leads to a confusing drive at times

Boy
03-11-2013, 10:56 PM
I put my Winter tyres on yesterday. They are on SE 17" rims which are fine, but not nearly so nice as my five spoke 18s.

Boy
03-11-2013, 10:57 PM
Woops. Not sure how that happened, or how to sort it. Sorry!

b8sline
04-11-2013, 12:00 AM
Bloody hell, they’re not much good !!;)

croakey
04-11-2013, 01:02 AM
The anti s-line

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/croakey/20131102_112018_zpsdff6579b.jpg

Needs a wash tomorrow!

neebsta
04-11-2013, 11:20 AM
The anti s-line

Needs a wash tomorrow!

Looks great!! That's how the German A4s roll down the autobahns in Winter.

Guest 2
04-11-2013, 08:57 PM
The anti s-line

Needs a wash tomorrow!

Had a wee chuckle at that :rolleyes:

Looks SO odd!

neebsta
06-11-2013, 07:18 PM
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh114/neebsta74/image_zpse7d7a848.jpg

Winter Wheels fitted today. 17" SE alloys and Continental Winter Contacts all round. Doesn't look so bad!

Guest 2
06-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Looks normal compared to the steelies! :rolleyes:

Boy
06-11-2013, 10:00 PM
Looks very good. The right way up even. I see that my boot lid fell open due to being left upside down!Let us know what size of tyre you fitted, and whether the suspension seems less harsh with the softer perhaps slightly fatter tyres.

neebsta
06-11-2013, 10:09 PM
Looks very good. The right way up even. I see that my boot lid fell open due to being left upside down!Let us know what size of tyre you fitted, and whether the suspension seems less harsh with the softer perhaps slightly fatter tyres.

The tyres are Continental Winter Contacts 225 50 17 Speed Rating H Load 98

exactly the same tyres I ran on my A6 Avant for 3 Winters - They were brilliant hence using the same on my A4.

s7gpt
09-11-2013, 03:11 PM
would genuine 17" 2009 a6 3.0tdi Quattro wheels be a straight fit to my a4 b8 3.0tdi Quattro ?

neebsta
09-11-2013, 03:13 PM
would genuine 17" 2009 a6 3.0tdi Quattro wheels be a straight fit to my a4 b8 3.0tdi Quattro ?

No, sorry I think the centre bore and offset are different.

Guest 2
09-11-2013, 03:13 PM
The B8 centre bore is 66.6mm and the A6's is 57.1mm so wont fit ;)

neebsta
09-11-2013, 04:11 PM
They won't, the B8 centre bore is 66.6mm and the A6's is 57.1mm so wont fit ;)

Hey, I edited that about 10 seconds after writing it! I thought that's strange! Why is he asking if A4 wheels will fit an A4 - then re read it and noticed it was A6. Having just moved from an A6 I know the CB is different! ;)

Guest 2
09-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Hey, I edited that about 10 seconds after writing it! I thought that's strange! Why is he asking if A4 wheels will fit an A4 - then re read it and noticed it was A6. Having just moved from an A6 I know the CB is different! ;)

Im quick on the keyboard ;)

Removed the quote to save your embarrassment :biglaugh:

s7gpt
09-11-2013, 06:10 PM
all weather tyres to fir 255/35/19 - any one used them, reviews good or bad also I cant find any this size and if anyone has any links / names of tyres that come in this size please let me know ?

Guest 2
09-11-2013, 06:12 PM
Save your nice rims from the salt and get another set specifically for winter. That's what I've done and most others.

The more narrower the tyre within your rolling radius the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

gr4z
14-11-2013, 10:19 PM
Anyone recommend a winter tyre for the 2013 S4? Was thinking a Dunlop 3D or 4D. Cheers

Plife
20-11-2013, 11:35 AM
My winter wheels went on at the weekend, and just in time as Tuesday morning roads were covered in frost and ice! I don't think they look too bad.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5494/10959375915_c24e91c1e0_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/23526509@N05/10959375915/)
DSCN0706 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/23526509@N05/10959375915/) by P.Life (http://www.flickr.com/people/23526509@N05/), on Flickr

neebsta
20-11-2013, 12:02 PM
Anyone recommend a winter tyre for the 2013 S4? Was thinking a Dunlop 3D or 4D. Cheers

I've had Continental Winter Contacts on my last 2 cars - they are brilliant.

two_paracetamol
27-11-2013, 01:57 AM
all weather tyres to fir 255/35/19 - any one used them, reviews good or bad also I cant find any this size and if anyone has any links / names of tyres that come in this size please let me know ?

I have seen them on mytyres website that size. I looked out of curiosity for mine. Worked out more expensive than a complete set of OEM wheels and tyres though!!!

two_paracetamol
27-11-2013, 02:10 AM

I have 3D Dunlops on mine. Wife has Conti TS 830Ps on a Polo GTi. Dunlop 3D is a directional tyre, Conti TS830P is asymmetric. If you corner fast I would be happier to sit in your passenger seat if you had Contis! (better lateral stability IMHO)

Guest 2
27-11-2013, 08:54 AM
I have seen them on mytyres website that size. I looked out of curiosity for mine. Worked out more expensive than a complete set of OEM wheels and tyres though!!!

Smaller set of OEM rims (ie 17" off ebay) and smaller winter tyres to suit. The general rule for winter tyres the narrower the tyre the better.

gr4z
27-11-2013, 09:31 AM
I got a set of 4 winters from lovetyres.com. Goodyear Ultragrip 8 for £145 each. Seemed the best deal out there.

two_paracetamol
27-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Smaller set of OEM rims (ie 17" off ebay) and smaller winter tyres to suit. The general rule for winter tyres the narrower the tyre the better.

I agree with you, Chris. I use 225/50/17s and they are very good as I have regaled above! The wife's Polo GTi is a short run buggy. If it snows she'll probably walk... Her winter tyres are therefore for cold wet road performance 99% of the time. So we stuck with 215/40/17 size and swapped tyres only. Would be interested to know what those of you with more tech knowledge than me think... I felt that narrower tyres offered less advantages for her. And she flatly refuses to do without her 17" Monzas for six months anyway so it's all a bit hypothetical anyway!

joebland
03-12-2013, 06:22 PM
I was offered the Audi dealer deal too costly. But I am still puzzled about how to get OEM 17inch wheels which have the right "offset" etc so that the will just swop out with my 19 inch wheels on the A6 Le Mans (2007). Size is important but what else is to get "plug and play" performance?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Guest 2
03-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Just get some oem A6 C6 rims simples, the offset doesn't have to be exactly the same.

joebland
03-12-2013, 06:24 PM
That's simple indeed! Thanks again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Guest 2
03-12-2013, 06:24 PM
Ballymena - 17&#39;&#39; GENUINE AUDI A4 A6 ALLOY WHEELS AND TYRES VW CADDY 5X112 JETTA PASSAT A5 A3 B8 B7 A8 | Belfast City Centre | Gumtree (http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/17-genuine-audi-a4-a6-alloy-wheels-and-tyres-vw-caddy-5x112-jetta-passat-a5-a3-b8-b7-a8/1040658000)

neilos100
03-12-2013, 08:56 PM
That is REALLY cheap for a set of genuine Audi alloys!

neebsta
03-12-2013, 10:29 PM
Ballymena - 17'' GENUINE AUDI A4 A6 ALLOY WHEELS AND TYRES VW CADDY 5X112 JETTA PASSAT A5 A3 B8 B7 A8 | Belfast City Centre | Gumtree (http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/17-genuine-audi-a4-a6-alloy-wheels-and-tyres-vw-caddy-5x112-jetta-passat-a5-a3-b8-b7-a8/1040658000)

My A4 B8 10 Spoke OEM SE alloys were bargain. Whipped all the tyres off and put winters on.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh114/neebsta74/image_zpse7d7a848.jpg

Plife
07-03-2014, 04:17 AM
When are people swapping back to summer tyres? I am tempted to do mine this weekend.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Guest 2
07-03-2014, 08:13 AM
I don't think we're getting off so lightly with the little snow we've had so mine are staying on until it goes through mot at least in a couple of weeks.

croakey
07-03-2014, 10:08 AM
Mine came off this week as long range forecasts dont seem to indicate snow, if it does i might swap them back, or use the missus' car as thats still got winters on

neebsta
08-03-2014, 01:01 PM
I was considering swapping mine this weekend, I can't see us getting snow now.

Guest 2
08-03-2014, 01:02 PM
Speaking of snow, we had some yesterday afternoon.

neebsta
08-03-2014, 01:10 PM
We didn't in East Yorkshire, in fact we haven't had any. All very disappointing. I'm having to go to the alps to find some, but we'll take the wife's junker as it's a company shed.

neilos100
08-03-2014, 01:31 PM
Took my winters tyres off last weekend....and it's 17C today! Can't see any snow happening now. It's much nicer driving on summer tyres I must say!

Sent from my HTC One using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

richlean
08-03-2014, 07:53 PM
Mine are staying on til April - I'd kick myself if I took them off and the weather changed. And all this time I'm saving wear on my summer tyres...

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Plife
08-03-2014, 08:01 PM
Decided to swap them today. If the weather turns I will just swap them back 😀

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

neebsta
08-03-2014, 09:43 PM
Mine are staying on til April - I'd kick myself if I took them off and the weather changed. And all this time I'm saving wear on my summer tyres...

Whilst wearing out your winter tyres :dunno:

richlean
08-03-2014, 10:24 PM
Whilst wearing out your winter tyres :dunno:

Ha ha! :-)

But in fact I bought my winter tyres from new, and given that they're only fitted for around a third of the year, it's unlikely that I'll wear them out before I change the car. So a certain amount of their wear is "for free", if you see what I mean.

Speaking to an Austrian farmer up in the mountains a while back, he said that they bin their winter tyres after three years regardless of wear as the compound deteriorates.

johng007
19-09-2014, 11:07 AM

Chris, I hope you are right, I just bought a nice looking set of 18" Audi Alloys with winter tyres off an A5 (EBay). To go on my just purchased A4 2010 3.0 TDi Special currently running on 19".
Not even picked the car up yet but know I will be driving around Scotland all through this winter so was feeling the need having found winter tyres all sold out in the past just when you want them ... :Blush2:

Willie Hecke
26-09-2014, 08:16 PM
This thread soon to be getting a lot of action again pretty soon I'd say ;)

Last winter, I bought some winters (tyres only) for my B8 Avant...but we had next to nowt snow-wise.... typical luck for me that though :D

This year, I think I'll get some flea bay alloys and get them put on those instead of swapping over my summers to winters all the time.

I've seen some advertised locally as being off an A5 (2010 model). The specs are as follows :-

Stud Diameter - 112
Centre Bore - 66.6
Rim Width - 7.5J
Rim Diameter - 17
No. of Studs - 5
(all good so far, I think...)

The one thing that confusing me is the offset: I rang the local Audi dealership for advice on wheel sizes needed etc, told him my Reg No. and he brought up all the spec on my car. He told me that the min/max offset for it was 35mm/45mm!

However, the offset on the wheels I'm interested in is 28mm (according to the advert!)

Any help or advice on whether either the Audi Parts guy or the advert is wrong?

Thanks a lot...

wj209980
09-10-2014, 08:51 AM
Hi

For the last 4 years i've had a FWD Audi A4 Sline 1.8TFSI. Never had winter tyres on it, and when we did get a touch of snow of it was horrible (could never get out the small incline of my street).

In the next couple of weeks my new company vehicle should arrive - this time it'll be a Quattro Audi A4 Sline 2 litre diesel. This time around i'm also considering purchasing winter tyres.

I keep each company vehcile for 4 years, and only do about 10k miles per year (so probably only around 3k per winter). I was looking to purchase tyres which would fit the standard wheels which come with the car, and looking to pay up to a maximum of around £600 for the set. I'm hoping that this set would then last the lifetime of the car (i.e. just swapping them in each winter).

So - taking all of this into account - what tyres are the ones people would reccommend?

Many thanks

cma
09-10-2014, 09:30 AM
Consider getting a spare set of wheels with your winter tyres on if you have room to store them. Over 4 years and at around £15 a tyre to swap summer to winter tyres on the same rim, twice a year. That's £120 a year. Over 4 years = £480. I think my set of 17" SE rims only cost me £300 and I can change them when I want and not have to make a special trip to get them fitted.

Then after the 4 years if you get a different car you can sell on and get a good portion of your money back.

gr4z
09-10-2014, 10:55 AM
I use Goodyear UltraGrip 8 Performance winters that are stored at my local tyre fitters. They charge £40 to change them over, so £80 per year on my 18" standard wheels.

johng007
13-10-2014, 08:24 AM
Sadly, bought a stunning set of wheels with good winter tyres on that I was promised would fit an A4 on the eBay ad (buyer beware eh?). After I bought them off eBay and reading all over this forum again about the offsets, had a growing sense of dread. Sure enough, tried them on (don't actually want to fit them yet) and they do stick out rather a lot, almost certainly illegal. Tis a look many might seek but not for me. Quizzing the original owner, turns out they were off an A5! So now bought a standard set of S-Line's off a B8 and am swapping the winter tyres onto them. So have now to sell on a stunning set of ........ A5 wheels!! Yes, best read the small print in these forums guys - an A5 wheel will fit on a B8 hub, but the offset of 29 is a no-no unless you want to look especially aggressive. A5 body is wider I believe and needs that offset. Upside is - still got a set of almost new 245/40/18 winter Dunlops.

Close but no cigar!

Boy
13-10-2014, 09:45 PM
Bad luck, but at least you are now fit for Winter and should get a decent price for those A5 Wheels. Good luck with the sale

neebsta
16-10-2014, 09:19 AM
I'm selling my set of wheels due to impending car change. PM me if interested.

gr4z
16-10-2014, 07:32 PM
And I am selling my Winter Tyres if anyone is interested as I am changing my car. Goodyear UltraGrip 8 Performance 245/40/18. Used for about 5-6k miles last winter. Will get some pics up soon.

Guest 2
16-10-2014, 07:35 PM
I'm selling my set of wheels due to impending car change. PM me if interested.

And I am selling my Winter Tyres if anyone is interested as I am changing my car. Goodyear UltraGrip 8 Performance 245/40/18. Used for about 5-6k miles last winter. Will get some pics up soon.

Please post your classified(s) here - VW AUDI Forum - VWAF (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?153-Accessories)

Post a pic and price and I or another moderator will approve it asap.

neebsta
18-10-2014, 11:18 PM
Please post your classified(s) here - VW AUDI Forum - VWAF (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?153-Accessories)

Post a pic and price and I or another moderator will approve it asap.

Mine are now up in the classifieds section!

Redcar01
24-10-2014, 09:02 PM
Just had some Goodyear ultragrip performance 225/50/17 delivered @ £109 each I can get them on for a £5 a corner , are they as good as i have read

fat controller
25-10-2014, 01:08 AM
Just had some Goodyear ultragrip performance 225/50/17 delivered @ £109 each I can get them on for a £5 a corner , are they as good as i have read
Don't know about the Ultragrip, but I had Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric put in mine about six months ago, and the improvement was quite dramatic - it now handles and steers as though it was on rails

Redcar01
28-10-2014, 11:58 PM
Hi All

When are you going to put your winter tyre on

neilos100
29-10-2014, 08:10 AM
When the weather forecast says it's going to be cold for an extended period of time. If it's the same as last year I won't bother.

Sent from my HTC One using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Guest 2
29-10-2014, 10:08 PM
Same as Neil, will be keeping mine off for the meantime but once cold weather sets in they'll be on soon as.

Hoping it does come as I've just bought a set of alloys and tyres for the A6!

richlean
01-11-2014, 04:36 PM
Mine are going within a week, regardless - this ridiculous warm weather can't go on forever.

Plus, I want to get some use out of them so that the car doesn't wear out before they do!

Guest 2
01-11-2014, 04:41 PM
Set of (5) genuine Audi 17" wheels with centre caps (not pictured), 4x Continental Winter Contact with 5.5-6mm tread for £255 to my door for the A6, can't wait to get them on :o

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz90/57_audi/A6/IMG_6237_zpsd0e8c762.jpg

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz90/57_audi/A6/IMG_6238_zps581e8915.jpg

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz90/57_audi/A6/IMG_6239_zpsb2675ab3.jpg

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz90/57_audi/A6/IMG_6240_zps52033b24.jpg

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz90/57_audi/A6/IMG_6241_zps72e9e4ce.jpg

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz90/57_audi/A6/IMG_6346_zpsc841cf08.jpg

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz90/57_audi/A6/IMG_6347_zpsda4ecc1c.jpg

richlean
01-11-2014, 04:47 PM
Cracking deal. All the way from Germany? How did you find them?

Guest 2
01-11-2014, 04:50 PM
Alloys (with new Kumhos) I picked up locally for £250 but sold the Kumhos for £150 so the wheels were £100.

The Continentials were £155 delivered from a seller in London who bought them but were the incorrect size for his car and I assume got them from Germany.

Cost me another £20 to get the Kumhos off and the Contentials on so all in it cost me £275 and a bit of diesel.

neebsta
27-11-2014, 12:40 AM
Q5 Winter Wheels I have just got from Germany - £240 plus shipping. All four have 5mm plus tread on Dunlop Winter Sports. :)

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh114/neebsta74/32F0C524-A35B-4179-8474-C380A32AA3B8_zpsxmoa42gt.jpg

Now fitted:

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh114/neebsta74/7B938B6F-6F1D-438B-90FE-BAE1C779A2E7_zpsug3ud7uu.jpg

mhurer
18-01-2015, 12:16 PM
Had some bad luck yesterday - two slow punctures on winter tyres both on near side. Being 4pm on a Saturday had no choice but to go to the nearest open place - Kwik Fit 2 miles down the road.

All the worrying signs were there, and I should have known better: "I'll check to see if winter tyres can be repaired", "where do you keep the locking wheel nut? Is it in the usual place in the glove compartment?"

Anyway, with no choice I let them repair the wheels. Whilst tightening one of the nuts with a torque wrench the phone rings so they go to pick it up with the torque wrench in place on a nut. I'm thinking how will they remember if they tightened it? If it was already torqued and they tried again danger is it would be over-tightened! Or worse still if they assume it had been tightened and they move on to the next one!

Anyway, drove back home to check the tyre pressures and notice one of the valves is too big and sticking out a lot, so take it back. I mentioned it to the manager who apologised and said the fitter must have fitted a stainless steel valve! 10 minutes later valve has been replaced.

I'll never learn.....

Lemonslap
21-01-2015, 09:43 PM
I have a second hand set of alloys with Toyo Snowprox fitted size 235/45/18 on my S4, they have performed very well even in 15C! All you guys buying winter tyres with 5mm trend left know they need to be ideally changed at 4mm?

cma
05-02-2015, 07:19 PM
Rather impressed with the mix of quattro and Dunlop winter tyres. Enabled me to go over the tops in the Peaks on the 27th December without even as much as a flashing traction control light. Such fantastic grip. Screen grab from my dash cam:

RicardoA4Sline
01-10-2015, 07:03 AM
Hello all, I'm back with an Audi having inherited my late mothers 2010 avant sline black edition. I have a question if anyone has an idea. I have some winter tyres and alloys for my e class merc which are. 225/55/16 size and this seems to be a smaller fit size suitable (from the 18s).

Now researching the net I think that the merc alloys should fit, does anyone have any experience of this? Apart from seeing someone swap some from an e63 amg (centre bore size is the same)

See pic below?
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5830/21233991223_38e4f2a1c4.jpg

Cheers chaps (now need to get my vag com back from my pal who borrowed it lol)

RicardoA4Sline
07-10-2015, 10:56 PM
Fitted base model 16" alloys to my 2.0tdi sline in the end, they fit over front callipers ok