PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a sat nav

dcdick
02-06-2013, 10:47 PM
I have a standard Garmin sat nav 5" screen that is a pain to fit using the supplied windscreen sucker mounting. There are available extended versions that will bring the screen to a decent position but that leaves the problem of detaching the mount every time you leave the vehicle. Same with the "air vent" mounts that do work but repeated fitting & removal must certainly cause damage sooner or later.:(

Tried a "sticky pad" thing from a fleabay supplier but the slightest bump/knock makes it fall off, as for security I would remove the pad as I leave the vehicle & if you clean/prepare the dash for the pad a sharp eyed thief could spot the marking on the dash & smash a window "on spec":(

Also .............any tips on "hard wiring" the power feed to the upper central area of the dash close to the twin vents to hide the wire that would be hanging loose. Should be easy enough to pick up a feed from the existing socket in the center consul but looks a pain to feed the wire out of site up there. Anybody done this yet ?

And in the same area has anyone swapped the two switches for "mode" & "auto stop/start" to the right (blanks on my model on the rh of gear stick) as the DSG stick does a good job of obscuring these switches ?

D*ck

(seems my usual forename is blocked by pro-boards anti whatever software)

vwcabriolet1971
02-06-2013, 11:02 PM
I have a garmin 3790 sat nav and use the "bean bag" mounting that sits on top of the dashboard with the power lead going to the cigarette lighter socket.
I found this very convenient as the "bean bag" gives excellent stability and the position can be adjusted exactly where you want the display. It makes removal for use in another car ( wifes) so easy and can be put in the boot when it's not used leaving no trace for would be thieves ( + no smears/ring on the windscreen). I've travelled abroad a few times and think it's great ! The 3790 is only about 123mm long and is only just over 8mm thick and can be used as a pedestrian aid as it slips in the pocket very easily - you can find where you left the car !.

Mal
10-06-2013, 01:20 PM
For my last 3 cars, I have used a 'Brodit' Bracket, (Brodit Proclip). these are made for individual cars and Marks. They are designed to fit into the air vent (left or right, it neads to be specified). They are a basic bracket that you can fasten anything to.. I have a TomTom, On the TomTom sucker window bracket, I cut off the sucker bit at the back and drilled a hole through the angle, on the new Brodit clip I drilled the hole in the centre and a quick small bolt. The bracket stays in your car, does not look obtrosive, and the sat nav just comes off as normal. When changing the car just unbolt TomTom arm and leave the bracket. I prefer the Tom Tom to any built in sat nav because of cheaper map updates etc. Never had a Garmin so I cannot compare, the newer TomTom's now come with free map updates for life. :approve:

PS... Brodit brackets are not cheap but I think they sove the problem easily and quickly when you get a new car.

See:- Brodit Proclip Mounts for Volkswagen Golf VII 2013-2013 (http://www.drivesafeandlegal.co.uk/brodit/vehicles/Volkswagen/Golf+VII/2013-2013.htm)

gamichea
10-06-2013, 08:05 PM
I have used Brodit Pro-clips on my three most recent cars (see sig.) and been very satisfied with their effectiveness in all respects. I have paired them with passive Brodit device mounts for a TomTom One XL and currently a Garmin Nuvi 2360LT and plumbed in the standard TomTom and Garmin chargers. I also use the Brodit Move-clip between the Pro-clip and the device mount so I can mount different devices on the same Pro-clip and devices can be swapped between the Pro-clip in my car and the one my wife's car without issue.

I am currently considering getting an active mount for my Nexus 7 to run TomTom and Camera Alert.

As Mal says, it is not a cheap system, but IMO it is very effective, safe and does not look out of place and is therefore good value. After all our VWs are not cheap cars so why bedeck them with cheap add-ons?

dcdick
10-06-2013, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the reply's.

I do have a bracket that fits in the air vents & while it is not a Brodit it works well enough & stays put. I suppose using the drivers side vent it is quite unobtrusive to leave the bracket "in situ" without being over concerned with "smash & grab" theft (there's a nice little box under the drivers seat to hide the sat nav in if you don't want to carry it around with you as well)
Next problem is to hide the cable/plug ;)

D

gamichea
10-06-2013, 09:15 PM
I'm not aware of any Pro-clips that fit in the air vent. They usually fit between two parts of the dashboard. Often between the air vent surround and the enclosing part of the dashboard (gap opener supplied) at the top and the same or an out of sight strongly sticky pad at the bottom.

If you are opting for the air vent next to the driver's door you might find there is a cover at the end of the dash revealed when the door is open under which lurks a fuse box from which you might be able to take a live feed.

dcdick
10-06-2013, 10:59 PM
Thanks gamichea

I've looked at the unit for the my Golf & although it is quite an elegant solution the fact that it also needs a mount with a ball to fit the sat nav mounted on the plate & is not readily removable for me defeats the purpose of a secure mounting system.
My reasoning for this is that while you can remove the sat-nav or whatever there is the obvious mounting plate visible, especially when fitted in a central position.
The nefarious ones among the population could quite easily notice the mount & decide to pop in a window & have a quick rummage around for whatever has been left in the car............really does only take a few seconds :(
I'm not paranoid about this stuff, but after 25 years or so working in the automotive industry in all it's many forms (mainly security related) you do get to be cautious !

gamichea
11-06-2013, 11:15 AM
You can make it removable by using a Move-clip which is two plates that slot together. The male plate goes on the back of the ball mount and the female one on the front of the Pro-clip so it gives nothing away about the device hosted when separated. I use this one http://www.brodit.com/product.html?id=213093 . There are many other variations. Searching for "move" brings up a page or more.

I used to share your misgivings about the low-life risks. Personally I have yet to suffer in this way but accept that the type of place where you have to park your car is a potential factor. I think these days satnavs are not the target they once were as prices have tumbled and their theft value is no longer an adequate justification for the risks. Smart phones are the focus these days but are by their nature less likely to be left in a car even if being used for navigation. I'm sure many smart phone users would soon suffer withdrawal symptoms, poor souls, and rush back to retrieve their lifeline.

dcdick
11-06-2013, 12:04 PM
You can make it removable by using a Move-clip which is two plates that slot together. The male plate goes on the back of the ball mount and the female one on the front of the Pro-clip so it gives nothing away about the device hosted when separated. I use this one http://www.brodit.com/product.html?id=213093 . There are many other variations. Searching for "move" brings up a page or more.

I used to share your misgivings about the low-life risks. Personally I have yet to suffer in this way but accept that the type of place where you have to park your car is a potential factor. I think these days satnavs are not the target they once were as prices have tumbled and their theft value is no longer an adequate justification for the risks. Smart phones are the focus these days but are by their nature less likely to be left in a car even if being used for navigation. I'm sure many smart phone users would soon suffer withdrawal symptoms, poor souls, and rush back to retrieve their lifeline.

Thanks again for your interest & link :D

This system, while undoubtedly well engineered, becomes a bit of a niggle for stowage with the removable plate & bracket needing to be stored every time you leave the vehicle.
I do concur that the average "sat nav" is not so attractive as those "smart" phones that seem to be such an important part of so many peoples lives these days.

I think I am leaning more to the "bean bag" method as previously posted (no 2 post) especially for short/medium journeys where the Garmin can run on it's internal battery.
Out of curiosity I'll look at what VW have to offer as I'm going to the dealer today for some service attention.

It is many years since I have suffered a theft from a vehicle ( & that was inside a locked garage) so the risk although real, is quite small I suppose. Even though I am retired now I still take as much care where & how I park as I can, especially when I'm in new locations.

I've got 3 good options now with the Brodit system, Bean bag & the seemingly flimsy......but does work, spring loaded air vent mount (that would probably fail if "knocked" when in use)

Ah well.............bean bag first, then Brodit if the "beany" doesn't suit

D