PDA

View Full Version : Rear suspension noise?

kevlarpantz
02-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Hi, i have a GT 1.9 tdi and apart from the drivers wiper issue, its great.
Done around 2500 miles, roughly 53mpg average on combined.

I cant help thinking the rear is a little noisy over very light bumps. My other halfs 2010 polo is quiet as a mouse on same roads.
You know what noises are like, cant tell if its suspension or something rattling yet.

Will investigate further and report.

JDB007
06-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Hi Kevlarpantz - Interesting I have a GT 1.4 TSI (800 miles) and I too can hear that "clonk" going over slow speed lumps in the road eminating somewhere at the rear. Would it be that the your GT and mine has lowered suspension and therefore slightly harder springs ?? Keep us informed Cheers

kevlarpantz
06-06-2013, 09:39 PM
Hi, i was thinking the same regarding the GT lower suspension. I hate these noises because they are rarely from where you think they are coming from.
It is very low but annoying as the car is so quiet normally.

pcr
09-07-2013, 02:04 PM
Did you guys resolve this noise ? My GT makes a hollow muted rear suspension noise when pattering over a rough road. It is only a slight noise but not what I expected, given how quiet the rest of the car is.

JDB007
09-07-2013, 04:59 PM
No further update as yet, but what I did find is the ALL the tyre pressures have been wrong since I picked up the car several months ago. The wide tyres should be set to 29PSI and not 34 and 36 PSI as I just found out yesterday when I took the car in for a slow puncture to the offside front (screw jammed in the centre). That has made the rear end thump just a little more acceptable, but I am certain that the problem must be the rear suspension itself and that the GT is a little more harder than a standard SE version - unless anyone can prove otherwise.

Dolmen
09-07-2013, 05:38 PM
Our car came with tyres at 38psi, I thought I'd read they should be at 35, I'd need to check that again, so I dropped them to 36psi. Perhaps they need to go lower, but thankfully we haven't noticed any disturbing noises yet!

pcr
09-07-2013, 06:04 PM
I read on another forum that this is a known fault which is under investigation by VW, let's hope so. Funny thing is, my car has been replaced for a different reason and this noise was present on the first car, although not as noticable.

JDB007
09-07-2013, 07:04 PM
Hi Dolmen - No, that is still to high your GT has the wider tyres fitted and they should be at 29PSI (Check inside the fuel filler door and the pressures are indicated there) Rgds JDB007

JDB007
09-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Hi pcr What forum was that ? Cheers JDB007

kevlarpantz
09-07-2013, 08:00 PM
I set all my tyres as per the sticker on filler cap.
Noise is annoying even as low as it is.

Our 2010 Polo is very quiet.....

Still have to update garage on wiper issue as its back after new blade too.

pcr
09-07-2013, 09:27 PM
Reference to this problem is towards end of this thread..... what annoys you about your mk7! - GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum (http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148)

Dolmen
09-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Hi Dolmen - No, that is still to high your GT has the wider tyres fitted and they should be at 29PSI (Check inside the fuel filler door and the pressures are indicated there) Rgds JDB007

Just had another look and mine reads different! 29psi isn't mentioned anywhere, wonder what others are finding? I've found over several cars that those plates are really only a guide, and I never found them to give you the best wear rates.
Cheers

algarve
10-07-2013, 09:03 AM
Just had another look and mine reads different! 29psi isn't mentioned anywhere, wonder what others are finding? I've found over several cars that those plates are really only a guide, and I never found them to give you the best wear rates.
Cheers
So what is your flap reading showing for 17" wheels & normal load ?
Mine reads 33 PSI

Dolmen
10-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Cars not here just now, but from memory I think it reads 35/38psi for light loads, hence me opting for 36psi.

Togsie
04-09-2013, 01:20 PM
I read on another forum that this is a known fault which is under investigation by VW, let's hope so. Funny thing is, my car has been replaced for a different reason and this noise was present on the first car, although not as noticable.
I too have noticed a rumble going over bumps at low speed in my 1.4 DSG Golf GT. I wasn't sure at first if I was imagining it but I'm now convinced that it's there. Which forum was it that said that VW were aware of the problem? I spoke to VW customer services today but they were unaware of any problem. The car is going to the garage on Monday to see if they can find anything amiss but I'm sure that they'll just say that it's a "feature" of the car.

pcr
04-09-2013, 02:45 PM
It was just a mention in the thread I posted earlier. Do let us know how you get on at the dealers.

JDB007
09-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Hello Togsie - keep us up to date on this as there does not seem to be a firm answer from VW as yet

Brian H
19-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Our Golf Mk7 1.4 GT has had rear noise over uneven surfaces from Day 1 in Feb. At first VW garage thought it was the brake calipers which were changed (after a long wait for supply) - result noise still there. Next theory was that there was an internal fault in the exhaust box which was changed (again after a long wait for supply) - result noise still there. At this point VW garage said that nothing more they could do for me and VW Mothership were looking into it as a recognised technical problem. Today VW customer services have called to confirm Germany engineers have identified the problem with the new 'four point' suspension design. From the messages below it looks likely to me that this only applies to GT models (which of course have a different suspension set up).
Good news is that VW have said engineers are 'very close' to having a fix. They are communicating with VW garage to make sure they notify me when problem fix advised to them. My advise is to ensure your garage knows about this and looks out for technical instruction and contact you to get this really annoying fault corrected. I am amazed that VW failed to drive a GT model over a rough surface before taking our money!

jk88
20-09-2013, 07:02 AM
Hello Brian,

Very interesting, thanks for the post, please keep us up to date with developments. Can you try to describe the noise you are experiencing? Where abouts is the dealer who is helping you with this?

maisbitt
20-09-2013, 08:10 AM
I have the opposite problem - front suspension noise. It's like a rubbery squeak with a change in direction or going over speedbumps. Early days yet with about 330 miles on the clock, but if it's still there at a thousand i'll be off to the dealership.

Brian H
20-09-2013, 08:16 AM
The noise is rattle-like and is initiated by driving over uneven road surfaces. It does not occur over smooth roads and sharp bumps do not seem to cause any kind of thump. The explanation of the suspension being the cause appears quite plausible.
I would rather not mention the VW dealer who has been dealing with this (who are not the garage where I purchased the car!). Throughout several visits they has consistently lied to me and given all kind of stupid reasons ' well of course it's making a noise - it has done over a 1,000 miles' !!! On the advise of VW HQ I will be taking it back there for the last time for the final remedy when known.

Togsie
20-09-2013, 05:44 PM
I have been quite pleased with the response from my garage in dealing with my Golf's suspension noises. They had already seen a Golf with the same problem so were aware of the problem. In the previous instance they had replaced the shock absorbers and some other components which failed to fix the problem. They were waiting for an answer from VW Germany for a solution before trying to fix mine. I had a call yesterday asking me to bring my car in and a further call today asking if they could keep the car until Monday so that they could thoroughly test it. I was expecting the garage to be dismissive and pass it off as a "feature" of the car so like I say it's good that they're taking it seriously. Fingers crossed that it's fixed when I pick it up.

JDB007
20-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Hi Brian, This is a good response to the original problem posted and looks like VW are on the case at last. Please keep the forum posted of any answer that involves a fix and I for one will take the opportunity in contacting my local VW service. GREAT STUFF thanks.

pcr
24-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Any updates on this ? How did you get on at the dealers Togsie ?

Togsie
25-09-2013, 11:34 AM
I got the car back yesterday and after 3 days at the garage it still isn't fixed!

pcr
25-09-2013, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the update Togsie. Did the dealer offer any sort of explanation or change anything ? I hope I'm wrong but I'm starting to think VW are going to keep quiet about this because of the cost of repair. They must know what is wrong after this much time.

Togsie
25-09-2013, 04:08 PM
They changed the shock absorbers and some other bits and bobs. Sorry to be vague about the bits and bobs but I'm not exactly sure myself. I did ask for a report on the work carried out and they agreed to send it to me so I should have some more details soon. I also understand that this work was carried out at the behest of VW UK. It looks to me like the current approach is suck it and see. I also learnt that it's not only the GT version that's suffering from this problem. It would be interesting to know how many cars are affected by this problem or are we a very small unlucky minority!

pcr
12-10-2013, 02:45 PM
It seems take various people are having this problem and VW are yet to fix it. I read that VW has issued a Technical Product Information sheet 2034188/2 to the dealers which tells them to postpone any attempts to fix it.

JDB007
12-10-2013, 04:06 PM
Hi PCT - looks like you may have found an answer

Togsie
12-10-2013, 10:38 PM
It seems take various people are having this problem and VW are yet to fix it. I read that VW has issued a Technical Product Information sheet 2034188/2 to the dealers which tells them to postpone any attempts to fix it.

PCR. interesting. Where did you read about this?

JDB007
15-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Hi Brian H Has anyone tried taking out the spare wheel and tools etc. (just a thought) :dunno:

maisbitt
16-10-2013, 07:42 AM
Cannot believe for a minute it would be the spare or the associated tools - they are so tightly packed. The tools are encased in a blown plastic (like a higher density polystyrene) sandwich and are wedged in so tight under the lower boot lip, you have to get the spare out first to get to the tools. There's nothing moving there.

JDB007
17-10-2013, 10:15 AM
My local VW dealer has confirmed today (17th Oct) that there is a fault/problem identified by VW and that a technical bulletin has been issued. So it looks like we are on the right track to getting it fixed as soon as they identify what needs to be done - so stay tuned. :beerchug:

droplip
21-10-2013, 08:14 PM
My local VW dealer has confirmed today (17th Oct) that there is a fault/problem identified by VW and that a technical bulletin has been issued. So it looks like we are on the right track to getting it fixed as soon as they identify what needs to be done - so stay tuned. :beerchug:

Hi JDB007, :1zhelp:

Is there anyway you could get the bulletin technical number? or further info on it at all?

I have my car booked in on Friday and the dealer is already talking to me like a kid saying its the exhaust....

Thanks!

parikp1
21-10-2013, 09:23 PM
Hi JDB007, :1zhelp:

Is there anyway you could get the bulletin technical number? or further info on it at all?

I have my car booked in on Friday and the dealer is already talking to me like a kid saying its the exhaust....

Thanks!
hello droplip
i can just confirm that vw issued TPI regarding this on 2nd og

parikp1
21-10-2013, 09:28 PM
[QUOTE=parikp1;852858]hello droplip
i can just confirm that vw issued TPI regarding this on 2nd of August TPI number 22034188/2
i have last update from 29.9.2013 with following statement

Nothing obvious was found, but on last occasion dealer communicated with VW and received the following response.

"Technical product information.
Running gear noises from rear of vehicle when driving on uneven roads (PR number 0N4) Release date 02-Aug-2013

Measure
Postpone repairs. At the moment an effective repair is not possible. We will inform you as soon as an effective repair is available.

A replacement does not fix the problem."
Hope it helps you greetings from Prague keep us inform

Brian H
21-10-2013, 09:50 PM
As previously posted when I spoke to VW customer manager mid Sept. I was told that the engineers were 'very close' to having a fix. I will probably try calling my garage later this week - will update with their response if any.
Regarding JDB007 comment - my exhaust was changed (baffles loose/broken they said) but didn't fix the noise problem.

Togsie
21-10-2013, 10:36 PM
My garage told me that VW UK have taken in some customers cars that are affected by this problem with a view to testing a fix over the weekend. I was told that they would ring me today and let me know the results, they didn't. I'll chase them tomorrow and see if there's any news.

JDB007
22-10-2013, 10:28 AM
HI droplip - afraid not my dealer phoned me to confirm that there will be a "fix" but no dates etc. However there are other replies to this below.

padraic01
22-10-2013, 02:20 PM
I took delivery of my new MK7 Golf GT TDI two weeks ago. Pleased so far with the car. Had the radio turned off this morning and noticed a "clunk" sound from the rear as I passed slowly over speed bumps etc. I checked the boot for untethered items but all ok there. Phoned the supplying VW dealer who confirmed that there was a TPI bulletin from VW about this very issue, but at the moment there is no fix. What I find incredible is that in all the months of Quality Control testing that nobody in VW 's vast Quality Control team has spotted this issue. Don’t they have any bumpy roads in Wolfsburg? I had a VW CC saloon before this one which had a persistent rattling dashboard. I thought as this car was a new build they would have eradicated all these quite frankly unacceptable faults. I will check in again with VW in a month's time, and hopefully the culprit will have been identified by then and a remedial solution provided. So much for build quality! My second last car a Toyota Avensis which I had for 9 yrs never rattled or squeaked once, in all its years of service. I thought that VW CEO Martin Winterkorn was a stickler for quality? Hope its not a "feature of the car" If so the lease company can have it back. Now where did I leave my Motorhead CD?

GTwebb
25-10-2013, 04:51 PM
No such suspension issues on my MK7 GT TDI. Only issue I have is a dashboard rattle drivers side near the air vent. hoping to be resolved shortly

pcr
26-10-2013, 06:56 PM
This is taking a long time to fix. The noise sounds to me like the suspension problem refered to as the "loose lumber noise" on the internet, basically a design fault or tuning setup in the suspension around the shock absorbers. It's looking more and more like a characteristic of the car.

pcr
09-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Still no fix VW ?

Togsie
09-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Latest that I heard (yesterday) was that they're waiting for a redesigned shock absorber from Germany. I've been reading all I can relating to this problem, sometimes refered to as "loose lumbar" noise, and I'm now wondering if this could be an unforseen consequence of the MK7 having shed quite a bit of weight.

algarve
09-11-2013, 05:20 PM
No suspension noises/issues with my Mk7 GT TDI (January build)

Believe you me I would have been onto VW if there had been.

Good luck though..

Barb351
09-11-2013, 06:11 PM
My GT TSI which I took delivery of in October does not suffer from rear end suspension noise, but there does appear to be a little low speed noise like a creak from the F/N/S/ suspension. This can only just be heard, but is there when going slowly. Am keeping eye on it in case it gets worse.

JDB007
09-11-2013, 06:20 PM
Hi Togsie, that's good news at least "something" is moving. I'll wait until we see fixes actually being carried out under warranty. GOOD REPLY thanks

JDB007
21-11-2013, 07:28 PM
REAR SUSPENSION UPDATE..... Just got this Email from my local VW dealer .....

"Just looked at the bulletin which unfortunately still says postpone repairs, I am sure Volkswagen are working on a
rectification, I will continue to monitor the progress and inform you should a fix be released."

That's it

JDB007

Togsie
21-11-2013, 07:37 PM
JDB007, thanks for the update. It would have been a bit more reassuring if they'd have said "when a fix is released" rather than "....should a fix be released". Out of interest which part of the country are you in?.
REAR SUSPENSION UPDATE..... Just got this Email from my local VW dealer .....

"Just looked at the bulletin which unfortunately still says postpone repairs, I am sure Volkswagen are working on a
rectification, I will continue to monitor the progress and inform you should a fix be released."

That's it

JDB007

JDB007
21-11-2013, 07:41 PM
North Hampshire.

lee007
21-11-2013, 09:54 PM
My 1.4 gt got built last week I hope they have fixed the problem on the new builds now that they obviously know there is a problem. Will update when I get it.

JDB007
21-11-2013, 10:10 PM
Yes please keep the forum updated - but how will you know that the "fix" has been done on your new car ?

lee007
21-11-2013, 11:17 PM
Well I was hoping that if there was no noise that they would have solved it, hence their should be a solution on the aftercare side.

pcr
22-11-2013, 02:44 PM
I guess we will know it's been fixed when they start fitting modified rear shock absorbers, probably on the Mk8.

pcr
07-01-2014, 06:05 PM
Any updates on this problem or have we all given up on VW ?

JDB007
07-01-2014, 06:56 PM
Hi pcr - My local dealer is still looking at any detail from Germany but nothing exists yet, and I read somewhere that VW Germany don't see the same problem. This could be a long wait and don't feel that any action is taking place. Sorry.
JDB007

maisbitt
08-01-2014, 08:33 AM
I thought that front suspension mount bearings were a far bigger issue on the MK7 right now. Plenty of people across the frums I frequent have had replacements, myself included.

pcr
08-01-2014, 06:56 PM
I agree the front suspension is a big issue but the cause is known and VW are fixing it. It appears that the rear suspension problem
is being ignored by VW who I believe have told dealers not to attempt to fix customers cars, leaving them high and dry.

JDB007
08-01-2014, 10:24 PM
Mmmm don't like the sound of this. What was done and how did VW contact you for the replacements?

JDB007
09-01-2014, 12:42 PM
This the latest from VW UK ......

We have revisited the technical handbook to see the status of rectification of the noise from the rear, currently it still says postpone repairs.

As for the noise from the front, clonking from the front suspension is not normal and we will need the vehicle in to diagnose the issue. When could we book you in for?

lee007
16-01-2014, 11:47 PM
Hi had my car for 6 weeks and Love it.I would inform all that vw have not fixed this problem. Like you have all said it's likea small clunk When going over some but not all bumps. It's not bad but you know it's therei will wait and see what comes of this on Here before going to the dealer.

JDB007
17-01-2014, 02:16 PM
I think this subject will drag on for some time as VW Germany don't see the problem over there ?? My car will be up for its first service in 2/3 months so I will make sure they check out the suspension at the rear at the same time.

lee007
10-02-2014, 11:22 PM
Anyone had any news on this don't want vw to get of this one.

JDB007
11-02-2014, 11:59 AM
No, absolutely nothing since my last reply ...............
JDB007

nav2608
11-02-2014, 04:14 PM
Finally got some news out of VW Cust Services that Germany have found a fix and going to hopefully manufacture by Mid March 14...

JDB007
11-02-2014, 07:17 PM
Good news indeed. 10 out of 10 for that - please keep the forum updated with any further detail (like the number that VW have issued to the case).

pcr
12-02-2014, 12:08 PM
Fingered crossed.

lee007
13-02-2014, 11:38 PM
Great please keep us all updated. Don't want to let my local vw dealer take my car apart unless they have clear direction from vw.

lee007
04-03-2014, 05:47 PM
Finally got some news out of VW Cust Services that Germany have found a fix and going to hopefully manufacture by Mid March 14...

All getting closer to mid march so if anyone hears about the fix please update us all. My Vw dealer said they new about it but that was all. I did have a weird rattle coming from somewhere on the front passenger door but when I took the technician out in the car it vanished and has not come back since. .. Very strange.

JDB007
12-03-2014, 08:19 PM
My car had its first service yesterday. No problems found just the oil change and general inspection carried out. I asked to have the SAT NAV checked for updates and also the rear suspension clonking as well: Here are the replies from the dealer .......

(1) The SAT NAV is ONLY updated if there is a fault on it and they confirmed mine had the latest version installed anyway (Over a year old - that's a bit strange)
(2) Technician took the car out for a road test and found nothing unusual ( I bet he was just listening to the radio on full blast ??) - and the service receptionist didn't seem that interested anyway. She said just bring the car back if it gets worse and prove it to the technician!

So no further forward on the rear suspension problem

jk88
13-03-2014, 08:45 AM
I think there is a degree of confusion regarding the free map upgrade and how to get it. I recall the sales brochure makes a vague mention of it, but the web site is quite clear in that it is up to the owner to perform the upgrade if they want it. More info can be found here on the main VW UK website along with the current versions of the software. Discover Navigation : Volkswagen UK (http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/navigation-and-entertainment-systems/discover-navigation)

As of July 2013 the latest available map packs are versions;

Discover Pro; V03.959.800.GP 0078 ECE 2014
Discover Media; EU 5G0.919.866.F 0036 ECE 2014

The next update is expected May 2014.

You can easily check which version you have installed to see if a newer version is available. I did ours recently and it took 30m on a Mac start to finish including downloading the maps. It's very simple as you just replace the contents of the SD card with the downloaded files.

As far as not sorting the rear suspension noise, now that's another story ...

JDB007
13-03-2014, 05:35 PM
Hi JK88 - Thanks I'll download what appears to be the latest and load up the SD card if appropriate. Is there a way I can check which version I have installed as the info you have provided shows that there IS a later version ??

JDB007

jk88
13-03-2014, 05:55 PM
Within the navigation screen, select SETUP then VERSION INFORMATION to display the current version code. I think ours was version 0034 before the update to 0036.

algarve
13-03-2014, 06:22 PM
My car had its first service yesterday. No problems found just the oil change and general inspection carried out. I asked to have the SAT NAV checked for updates and also the rear suspension clonking as well: Here are the replies from the dealer .......

(1) The SAT NAV is ONLY updated if there is a fault on it and they confirmed mine had the latest version installed anyway (Over a year old - that's a bit strange)
(2) Technician took the car out for a road test and found nothing unusual ( I bet he was just listening to the radio on full blast ??) - and the service receptionist didn't seem that interested anyway. She said just bring the car back if it gets worse and prove it to the technician!

So no further forward on the rear suspension problem

Regarding your Sat Nav response from your dealer there was a map update in November 2013 so you may not have the latest maps .
Details on the NavTeq website.

JDB007
13-03-2014, 06:31 PM
Ok just checked the current installed version and it is 5G0919866D 0021 ECE 2013 so it looks out of date (I'll inform my dealer that they have made a mistake !!)
I Will download the latest EU 5G0.919.866.F 0036 ECE 2014 update as soon as I can.

Thanks to you and "algarve" for your prompt and accurate replies.

JDB007

jk88
14-03-2014, 08:56 AM
When the dealer (Martins by any chance?) says the software is up to date, they are most likely referring to the firmware (or operating system if you like) rather than the map content. I expect the firmware is current as there weren't any updates done on that at our recent service. So technically the dealer is correct in what they said, although less than helpful in explaining it.

JDB007
14-03-2014, 03:11 PM
Yes it is Martins. I downloaded the new "map" s/w (It took 1.3hrs through a very slow VW website !)

Thanks

lee007
17-03-2014, 11:34 PM
Looks like everyone has gone off the original discussion of the rear suspension problem. Can we get back on track. A resolution was meant to be out mid march from Germany and here we are in mid march. . Anyone with any news yet ?

JDB007
24-03-2014, 04:36 PM
I just got an Email from my local VW dealer(supplier) when I re-registered the fact that I am still not happy with the rear suspension noises!
This is their reply ....

"I (the dealer) have been constantly monitoring this issue as I have a number of customers with the same issue, and still frustratingly we are awaiting a fix."

So we appear to have recognition of the fact there is a problem and that VW Germany are coming up with a solution - but when is another question.

JDB007

pcr
24-03-2014, 05:38 PM
Thanks for that update. I think it is time we all let the dealers know what we think and ask for compensation. Let's face it, VW are not going to fix it, I'm not convinced they have even tried.

JDB007
24-03-2014, 05:53 PM
Hi pcr - if this drags on although I am very pleased with the car in terms of comfort/performance etc. - they can have it back !!! not just compensation.

JDB007

lee007
26-03-2014, 11:47 PM
Hi pcr - if this drags on although I am very pleased with the car in terms of comfort/performance etc. - they can have it back !!! not just compensation.

JDB007

Hi has anyone on here actually emailed Vw customer service in the UK. ...I think I will give this a go and see where I get. .

JDB007
27-03-2014, 01:34 PM
The guy dealing with my concern is the After Sales Manager and is very aware of the problem with my car and many others ....
JDB007

pcr
27-03-2014, 05:54 PM
I feel stuck with this car, I don't think it will sell privately and the dealers know about the problem so will not want it at the right price.
I will be in touch with VW customer services after one final try at the dealers in about a month.

lee007
20-04-2014, 11:56 PM
Well I got a response from Vw UK and they have asked me to take it to my local vw dealer and it goes in on Tuesday let's just hope they can hear the noise ! Also my entire informant system kept shutting down yesterday, 1st the sat nav would stop then the sd card would stop reading then the phone stopped charging and everything just turned off, I then held my finger on the power button and it seemed to do a full system reset. .. Let's hope they can fix all my items ?

pcr
21-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Please do let us know how you get on Lee.

lee007
22-04-2014, 11:05 PM
Well got my car back today and the technician whom was to busy to come and talk to me reported despite an extensive test drive failed to hear the issue ! So it's going back again but this time I will be taking him out so I can actually point it out, I fail to see how he could not have heard it. My sat nav turning off, all they have done is download the software and send it to Vw for analysis (will I ever get an outcome on this ?). Also when your fan vent is directed to the feet setting do all cars then still blow air out of the vent on the dash nearest the windows ?

Ka420
23-04-2014, 11:26 AM
Hello guys,

I am sorry for writing in the UK forum, I live in Prague.

Does any have any further info about this issue ? I have noticed this noise since the beginning, I used to think that it is normal :S

I am getting too frustrated with the car, Im feeling like I am driving old Renault r11 . I really regret buying this thing :/

I don't know what to do

I have Golf VII 1.4 TSI 140hp ( Not GT)

Ka420
30-04-2014, 11:31 AM
Guys,

VW decided to change the shock absorber ( Rear suspension). I will get my car next week wednesday. I just received the call today.

crossed finger !

lee007
30-04-2014, 07:41 PM
Guys,

VW decided to change the shock absorber ( Rear suspension). I will get my car next week wednesday. I just received the call today.

crossed finger !

Others have tried this and it never worked so I hope it does for you. Please keep us updated.

TT14
07-05-2014, 09:50 AM
Hi Guys,

I've been following this post with interest as I took my 4 mth old GT 2.0 TDI back to the dealers 2 mths ago for the same fault. Phoned them today (7 May 14) to be told that VW are still investigating the issue, but have yet to come up with a solution. Until this happens the garage will not carry out any work on the problem. How much longer do VW need to find a fix?

JDB007
07-05-2014, 12:44 PM
Hi TT14 - Looks like were all in for long wait on this so I guess there's little that can be done. I wondered if this problem for the MK7 GT is showing up anywhere else on the continent? Do we have any owners in Germany etc. etc. that could shine more light on it?

Togsie
07-05-2014, 04:05 PM
Very latest from VW UK customer services "VW Germany have a modified shock absorber which has been road tested and fixes the problem. Should begin shipping to the UK at the end of May"

Makes you wonder what on earth they've been doing for the past 12 months but fingers crossed.

JDB007
07-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Good news and progress at last - well done Togsie

Ka420
09-05-2014, 03:24 PM
Hello guys,

I got my car and I really cann't see the difference yet. I heard the clunk but I had to try it on deep holes. I was told I am the first one in the czech rep with the new shock absorber. They couldn't give me the reference of the new parts for now. So I really don't know if they really put new ones.

My dealer said that it is not an official fix but it should improve it !

Can anyone please tell me how I can check If they really change something ? I am suppose to receive an email om monday with the reference number of the new shock absorber.

JDB007
09-05-2014, 04:44 PM
Hi Ka240 - I have been informed by VWUK that they are waiting for the official fix to be approved and that takes a little while to come through their system. That won't be until the end of this month (May). Keep the forum updated of any information you get from VW in Czech Rep.
Thanks

Ka420
10-05-2014, 07:40 PM
Hi Ka240 - I have been informed by VWUK that they are waiting for the official fix to be approved and that takes a little while to come through their system. That won't be until the end of this month (May). Keep the forum updated of any information you get from VW in Czech Rep.
Thanks

You're right, I don't think i will get the reference of the new part. I will only receive an email as confirmation that they really changed the shock absorber ( with no reference). He said they have no numbers on their system. The old shock absorber will be returned to Germany.

My problem now is that I really don't know if the issue improved or no. I don't remember how loud was the clunk noise :S. I couldn't find any video on YouTube to be compared to the noise I hear.

JDB007
11-05-2014, 03:10 PM
Hi Ka420 - I guess there will be a few replies from all concerned as soon as VW decide to get on with the job. Keep us posted cheers.

mcmaddy
19-05-2014, 07:32 AM
Is this just affecting normal shock absorbers or DCC equipped cars too?

lee007
19-05-2014, 09:21 AM
Well just got out of my local Vw dealer who is going to take the car in stating there is a repair available. It goes in mid June so will update all when I get it back. Also they tell me there is an update for the informant system to stop it shutting down.

nav2608
19-05-2014, 11:30 AM
Finally had an update from VW HQ that they will be replacing my rear shocks to stop the "rattle". Dealerships can order parts from this week onwards I been told ... will keep you all posted.

JDB007
19-05-2014, 02:08 PM
Excellent, keep us posted.

rpps
21-05-2014, 09:34 PM
I have a Golf Mk 7 90TSI and here in Australia all the models come with the independent suspension, my car is just 12 months old and the rear suspension noise is starting to get to me. It's noticeable when going slow over speed humps or rough bumpy or uneven bitumen roads. I have taken the car into the dealers once and they said that they re-tensioned all the suspension nuts and everything is OK but the noise is still there. It sounds like an old car with worn shock absorber mounts. The car has to go into have new software installed for the Auto Park Brake and I'm insisting them to come with me for a test drive so I can point out the noise and I will be pointing out to them these posts in this Forum about this problem.
So I will be eager to hear on here about any fixes for this problem.

lee007
21-05-2014, 09:38 PM
I have a Golf Mk 7 90TSI and here in Australia all the models come with the independent suspension, my car is just 12 months old and the rear suspension noise is starting to get to me. It noticeable when going slow over speed humps or rough bumpy or uneven bitumen roads. I have taken the car into the dealers once and they said that they re-tensioned all the suspension nuts and everything is OK but the noise is still there. It sounds like an old car with worn shock absorber mounts. The car has to go into have new software installed for the Auto Park Brake and I'm insisting tem to come with me for a test drive so I can point out the noise I will be pointing out to them these posts about this problem.
So I will be eager to hear on here about any fixes for this problem.
Well as you say you have to get them out to let them hear it. They took mine out on there own and said there was nothing wrong. It looks like there is an official fix out not so when mine gets done it a couple of weeks I will update everyone if it works. Good luck in getting them out.

rpps
21-05-2014, 09:52 PM
Well as you say you have to get them out to let them hear it. They took mine out on there own and said there was nothing wrong. It looks like there is an official fix out not so when mine gets done it a couple of weeks I will update everyone if it works. Good luck in getting them out.
I will be eagerly waiting or your post. One thing I noticed when I looked under the rear of my Golf was that there is a metal heat shield fitted above the muffler attached to the boot well, this on mine is very loose and I wonder if this could be a source of the noise, would be interested if others have noticed this.

JDB007
22-05-2014, 10:43 AM
Hi rpps looks like were going globally on this thread - good to see.
Your symptoms are identical to all those with MK7 GT's across Europe, and as you can see we are now waiting for the modified rear shock absorbers to be shipped and fitted. my local VW dealer is scanning their system for updated regularly.

JDB007
22-05-2014, 10:44 AM
Mmm I don't think that fits the problem we have but interesting.

rpps
22-05-2014, 11:03 AM
Mmm I don't think that fits the problem we have but interesting.
Yeah it's not that your right but it certainly is pretty loose and rattily on my Golf. Today it was raining and I went into the city and I drove over the same road with the speed humps and the rough bitumen, the car was much quieter and I could hardly hear the rear shockies making any noise at all. It started me thinking maybe the noise is caused by the bottom bushes which are attached to the shocker absorber being too dry and causing the noise by friction.
I mentioned this to a mate who is a mechanic and he suggested the noise is probably coming from the rubber bushes on the bottom of the shock absorber, he suggested packing these bushes with some Graphite Grease. He said when they are dry they will be noisy but when wet or packed with some grease this should stop the noise.
I will mention this to the Service Manager tomorrow when my car goes in to have a software update for the Auto Braking system and ask if they could try this remedy.

are

Brian H
12-06-2014, 07:16 AM
It's been over a year since I first posted the rear noise problem on our GT TSI. We have received a call yesterday from VW garage and the car is booked in next week (20th) to have the problem fixed. I will post again afterwards - hopefully confirming noise gone.
would be interested to hear from anyone confirming the fix works.
good luck to all - it's been a long long wait.
brian

lee007
12-06-2014, 07:27 AM
It's been over a year since I first posted the rear noise problem on our GT TSI. We have received a call yesterday from VW garage and the car is booked in next week (20th) to have the problem fixed. I will post again afterwards - hopefully confirming noise gone.
would be interested to hear from anyone confirming the fix works.
good luck to all - it's been a long long wait.
brian

Mine was in for 2 days to have new shocks fitted, window seals, and informant update. They done two items and then told me the shocks were on a back log from Germany wish they had told me that before I bothered to take time of work and take it in. Booked in again in 3 weeks.

nav2608
12-06-2014, 09:15 AM
Finally sorted with VW, they installed the new Shocks, the dealer was told they were on back order as the system had not been updated i am being told but a phone call to the VW HQ soon got that sorted...Car drives much better now and does not skid in the rain.

JDB007
12-06-2014, 12:43 PM
Good news Brian. My local dealer has emailed me to say that he is still pushing the fix (I suspect he knows that there is a a fix on its way) and hopefully we'll get there soon. I'll keep the forum updated.
JDB

Togsie
12-06-2014, 06:39 PM
I've had "the call" too. Fingers crossed that this is the fix we've been waiting for!

JDB007
12-06-2014, 09:27 PM
But did it cure the rear rattle ??

rpps
12-06-2014, 11:12 PM
Mine was in for 2 days to have new shocks fitted, window seals, and informant update. They done two items and then told me the shocks were on a back log from Germany wish they had told me that before I bothered to take time of work and take it in. Booked in again in 3 weeks.

At least you guys in the UK are getting something done with this problem, all I get from my local dealer is that they haven't hard anything from Germany regarding this, I too a new Corolla for a test drive yesterday and it was so quiet in the suspension compared to my Golf, the Corolla is staring t look tempting.
I had a look under the rear of my car and notice that there's a metal heat shield between the muffler and the bottom of the boot, this is very loose and rattles. I squeezed some small kids tennis ball n to take up the slack so there was no movement and the noise or clunking sound has gone

Ka420
16-06-2014, 12:08 PM
Hello guys,

After long investigation with different resources, I was told that the fact VW is sending out shock absorber is for calming the customers. You may get the shock absorber changed but the issue will still persists ( May improve for a while but comes back).

The issue comes from the rubber which is the point of contact between the shock absorber and body of the car. The knocking you hear is result of direct contact of the shock absorber with the body of the car ( Metal to metal). The rubber boot somehow gets disconnected and lets the metals touch each other when there is a shock.

I have been in contact with many dealers around EU, and noticed that most of them they are not aware of VW offering to send new shocks absorber to test !

As you can see from the picture posted in the topic, the date on them if 2013 or Dec 2014 !! ( While VW dealers say that it is still under production ).

I didn't get any official answer from VW to say if they're working on the problem of the rubber thing.

Brian H
19-06-2014, 01:56 PM
Golf was booked in for tomorrow (Friday 20 June) for new shocks to be fitted but just received a call from garage saying they can't order the new shock absorbers as the system has put a block on ordering them. A bit late to tell me - guy was just checking up on tomorrow's jobs.
Sounds like VW have got sudden cold feet on this fix!
Has anyone had new shock absorbers fitted? and if so have they cured the noise?

Ka420
19-06-2014, 07:03 PM
Golf was booked in for tomorrow (Friday 20 June) for new shocks to be fitted but just received a call from garage saying they can't order the new shock absorbers as the system has put a block on ordering them. A bit late to tell me - guy was just checking up on tomorrow's jobs.
Sounds like VW have got sudden cold feet on this fix!
Has anyone had new shock absorbers fitted? and if so have they cured the noise?

I have the new shock absorber and the noise is still the same. I haven't use the car for almost one month now just to avoid getting nervous cause of the clunk noise ! I HATE VOLKSWAGEN !! this is my first and last car from them.

Brian H
19-06-2014, 07:27 PM
Horrified that new shock absorber has not fixed the problem. After being told by VW garage that they can't order new parts I contacted VW HQ to ask what was going on. Within 15 mins my garage was back on the phone saying that they did in fact have a set of new shock absorbers for me - a mix up in their parts department and my car is in tomorrow for replacement. (I now know not to believe a word they say!).
If this does not work I will consider taking legal advise about returning this car. I have previously owned several new VWs - this will be the last.

Ka420
19-06-2014, 07:49 PM
I have been in contact with HQ and they have always tried to throw my problem on the dealership side.

If they changed the shock absorber make sure you test drive the car many times, don't rush your judgement. Plus The dealer will try to miss around to make you believe that the issue is fixed !

Please let us know.

Brian H
22-06-2014, 06:07 PM
New shock absorbers installed on Friday; after a lengthy drive over rough surfaces that usually generate lots of rumbles I am pleased to report all quiet. Car now is cured of problem - what a difference!
For those of you who are still waiting for replacement components do push your dealers, and if they are not responsive then contact VW Customer Services who should do some pushing for you.
What a pity it has taken over a year to sort this out.
:beerchug:

pcr
22-06-2014, 06:50 PM
Hello Brian, pleased that the fix worked for you, what type of golf do you have ,GT, GTD, GTI etc. Thanks.

Brian H
22-06-2014, 07:01 PM
Our golf is a 1.4 TSI GT with ACT (2 cylinder control) 150bhp. Has lowered 4 point suspension which is different from standard golfs.

lee007
22-06-2014, 07:48 PM
New shock absorbers installed on Friday; after a lengthy drive over rough surfaces that usually generate lots of rumbles I am pleased to report all quiet. Car now is cured of problem - what a difference!
For those of you who are still waiting for replacement components do push your dealers, and if they are not responsive then contact VW Customer Services who should do some pushing for you.
:beerchug:2

Please let us know how it is in say a week or so. Looking at some of the posts the issue seems to come back.

Ka420
23-06-2014, 12:09 PM
:beerchug:

Happy to hear that the fix worked for you !

I received a call from the dealer to put new shock absorber again. ( They have already replaced them but I didn't notice any difference)

My car is booked for tomorrow, I am really hopping it will change something this time :/

newgolfgt
24-06-2014, 08:31 AM
Hi Gents, my cabriolet contract is up and I'm returning to a hatch for practical reasons. The cab is a lovely car (albeit horrendous on fuel) but hardly used as I am commuting by train and the wife won't leave it in places like public car parks (quite right too). Anyway to get back on track, at low speed over speed humps there is a metallic rattle/tinkle from the underside. Not all the time but noticeable with the hood down. When a mechanic looks at it, its like calling out a telly engineer in the old days - everything is perfect. As pointed out in earlier posts location is indeterminate, I think its the front and it almost seems like a loose exhaust or something to do with the super or turbocharger, but could be the shocks - very similar noise was made by the front shocks on a mk1 Capri I owned 40 odd years back (that couldn't be cured either). In conclusion I wonder if the rattling experienced is simply a loose fitting somewhere (quality management) and this is why VW are unable to cure the problem at long range.

lee007
21-07-2014, 10:32 PM
Pleased to report that 1 week after my new shocks have been installed all appears to be ok. I will update again in a month to see if it really did resolve the issue. .. It's quiet for now. ..

JDB007
14-08-2014, 08:05 PM
Ok my car has been fixed (2 weeks back). The After Sales manager picked the car up from my home and delivered it and stated that he could noticed the problem within 100yds of my house !! I have since driven the car and can confirm how quite the car now is.
JDB

G0rdon
26-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Car was in for its 2nd service today so mentioned the rear suspension. Took the technician out for a drive in order to let him hear what I was on about and, thankfully, he confirmed that it wasn't right. New replacement rear suspension now on back order so will update when fitted.

JDB007
26-08-2014, 08:44 PM
You need to push VW for the fix as will definitely cure your problem.

rpps
04-09-2014, 11:41 AM
I had my new shock absorbers fitted today the part No 5Q0513029DP according to the service invoice, on the way home I went slow over the same bumpy roads that use to give me grief and I was rapped the suspension was so quiet. In fact as soon as I started driving the car from the dealers workshop I could tell straight away that the suspension was so much quieter at last I have peace and quiet I just hope it stays this way. Must add I have been complaining about this problem for over 12 months now. http://vwclub.co.za/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

MadUKDiver
04-09-2014, 12:45 PM
My 2013 1.4 GT TSI BMT was updated 2 months ago and it's a dream to drive again. I mentioned it to the dealer during the second service and they booked it straight away for the change. Had to wait a month as the parts were on back order. I notice a slightly harder ride and perhaps feels a little less stable in the wet though.

Does anyone know if the Audi A3 is also affected? My wife has a 2013 A3 1.8 Sport TFSI and I think this is REALLY LOUD on the back end too. I presume these are the same chassis so likely to have the same awful shocks out of the factory, can anyone confirm this?

rpps
04-09-2014, 09:09 PM
My 2013 1.4 GT TSI BMT was updated 2 months ago and it's a dream to drive again. I mentioned it to the dealer during the second service and they booked it straight away for the change. Had to wait a month as the parts were on back order. I notice a slightly harder ride and perhaps feels a little less stable in the wet though.

Does anyone know if the Audi A3 is also affected? My wife has a 2013 A3 1.8 Sport TFSI and I think this is REALLY LOUD on the back end too. I presume these are the same chassis so likely to have the same awful shocks out of the factory, can anyone confirm this?

My car is only the 1.4 TSI, here in Australia the base models come out with full independent suspension, I would be interested to find out the part Number for the shock absorbers they fit to the UK models.

G0rdon
10-09-2014, 04:39 PM
New shocks fitted today. What a difference: cured in its entirety!

Fuelboss
05-10-2014, 06:28 PM
Hi,

I have just purchased an ex-demonstrator MK7 GTI performance with DSG. I do not have the dynamic chassis control fitted. Wheels are 18 inch. Tyre pressures as per manual.

The rear shocks were replaced last Friday with part number 5Q0513029 GL. Unfortunately I don't know what the originals were.

It was very apparent after driving the car for a couple of days that there was a kind of bobbling noise, plus as others have described, like a load of logs knocking around in the boot when going over sharp depressions or sunken manhole and other service covers in the road, particularly at low speeds. As others had reported this issue and as VW were trying to do something about it I thought I should report the fact that I had an issue.

Within one week the local dealer and VW agreed to change the dampers, but in my mind though there may be a marginal improvement, the sound from the rear over the same surfaces is little changed which is disappointing.

While I realise that the car is a high performance sports car with quite a firm ride I none the less would have expected less or none of this noise given the high value of the car.

I would be interested to hear from G0rdon or anyone else if they have had success from the damper change. The date of any change plus part number (on a label on the damper seen through the wheel) would be of interest as VW will not tell me if my replacement dampers are the latest revision.

I have the feeling that if I placed a few bags of cement in the boot that the ride may be better. I say that as today I had a passenger with me weighing 224 lbs and the sound from the rear appeared less of an issue and felt better controlled over poor road surfaces.

G0rdon
05-10-2014, 08:59 PM
My replacements were 5Q0 513 029 DQ on a 1.4 GT TSI if that helps.

Fuelboss
06-10-2014, 08:34 AM
My replacements were 5Q0 513 029 DQ on a 1.4 GT TSI if that helps.

Thank you for your quick reply.

Your replacement part numbers are the same as mine, apart from the last two letters. I have been given to understand that the last two letters indicate the particular production type.

As my car was the 2L GTI then the dampers may be different from yours but that I will try and establish direct from VW today.

It is very interesting to read that various models within the Golf range appear to have a similar noise issue. Originally I thought it was just related to a GTI but that is clearly not the case.

Li_Greeny
29-10-2014, 07:23 PM
Just found this after a google search for the same issue. Seem's like my car has the same fault, which seem's to be getting worse! I have a March 2013 2.0L SE model and it has been doing it for sometime now, though is generally tolerable it starting to sound like something is about to come off the car. I have checked the underside and nothing seems to be loose or damaged, though it is dark out. Otherwise handling and driving seem fine. The noise is only at about 20 mph or less, but it's becoming a real annoyance.

Despite the other issues with the car, I do wonder whether anyone had these replaced under warranty? Or are they going to hit me with a bill. Something I wouldn't expect of a car this age, that's for sure.

Fuelboss
29-10-2014, 10:21 PM
What I cant understand is the fact that owners have reported this rear suspension sound for a very long time on the MK7 and yet there are reports of dampers being changed, sometimes twice and for some people there is no change in the noise. I had mine changed about 3-weeks ago and essentially the peculiar "bobbling" sound is very evident at low speeds over certain uneven surfaces no matter how gently I drive. This hollow "bobbling" sound has a vague sort of plastic or rubbery sound to it. The sound of logs rolling around as many have reported is equally as irritating and remains the same when going over very uneven surfaces despite the damper change. What is the issue, is it dampers, poor sound insulation, the tyres or quite what. Come on VW have you really gotten to the bottom of this of this issue?

My dealer contacted me the other day and I suggested to him that if it were me I would remove the shock absorbers and try it, then fit a smaller set of wheels with appropriate higher profile tyres and try it and just keep going until I could eliminate the component that creates the noise. Are VW just guessing its the shock absorbers and what real world tests have they carried out. If they think they have fixed the issue then I can say that in my case they haven't. The Bridgestone Potenza tyres fitted to mine do not have good reviews (http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk)in terms of noise, so are these to blame when travelling over a certain type of road surface, though I have to say that on a good road surface the car is extremely quiet with regard to tyre noise.

A week or so ago I drove from UK to Portugal and on one 15km stretch of road the top layer of tarmac was broken up. No big ruts or bumps but just a thin broken top layer and the racket that came through was intolerable. I appreciate my GTI with performance pack is essentially a sports car but for £30,000 I never expected this rear end noise.

I have removed everything from the back including spare wheel, parcel shelf, boot floor, tools and then laid the backseats down and the noise was in my view unacceptable. Just a word of advice for those who have a space saver wheel with a low profile Tyre. Place a straight edge across the Tyre and you will see that the actual wheel rim is touching the wheel-well floor and there is isn't much between rim and the metal floor. I have now laid cork/rubber pads under my spare and there is now a gap of 15mm. One other thing I noticed and that was the wheel retaining nut works loose no matter how hard I tighten it so do check that the wheel isn't bouncing around because that wheel well is just a big amplifier.

My car is with me in Portugal for nearly 6 months and therefore the case is currently closed with VW though they have promised to investigate further on my return to the UK. Regarding Li_Greeny and his dampers - amazingly VW only guarantee the damper for 6 months if you look at their terms & conditions and that is absurd as no other manufacturer I have looked into offer such a pathetic warranty. I think this is a VW policy that even dealers are unaware of. Why a 6-month or 6000 mile warranty, is that all they think they are good for. Its hardly a consumable item like a Tyre, brake pads or wiper blade. A 6-month warranty hardly gives you much confidence in the component. What do they think we do with these cars, throw them around a rally or race track every weekend.

If you car is under warranty then the dealer should deal with it under warranty. I also urge any others who feel they have rear suspension noises to get back to the dealer. Its easy enough to turn up the volume on the radio but that doesn't solve the issue. Apparently VW have a sound recording of the noise and I would be very interested to hear that so at least we all know what VW considers to be the fault.

Would I have purchase this model if I had initially been made aware of this rear end noise. Certainly not not unless I could be guaranteed that I would only ever have to drive on smooth road surfaces. If anyone takes a test drive then turn off the radio, tell the salesman to be quiet and take it for a run over a variety of roads and just listen. Dont be just impressed with its performance and gadgetry because you will have at some time to drive slowly over poor roads and you don't want to have a surprise like I had. If you like what you hear that's fine but if not then look at another make.

Li_Greeny
29-10-2014, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the post Fueldboss. Sounds like you have had more trouble than me with it.

I have had loads wrong with the car since day one, as it's a lease car I have made the leasing company very aware of any issues though I don't seem to get very far with it.

If it's the case that it's out warranty then I will probably just leave it as I only have a year to go before it goes back, though I will probably argue the points of mileage with the leasing company as I'm slightly over anyway. I have reported the issue to them, though given it took 6 months for our VW dealer to sort out an air conditioning fault then I don't expect it to go anywhere (it stank of dank socks which was down to bacteria and a rotten pollen filter).

It's such a shame this model has had such particular problems with (on my car anyway) suspension, wipers, radiator leaks, ill fitted panels, incorrectly fitted rear window and poor economy... I really like the Golf but I will be looking elsewhere when renewal comes up in the future.

pcr
30-10-2014, 06:09 PM
My shock absorbers were replaced under warranty and the noise greatly reduced, by say 80%, but did not disappear completely. It's tolerable now but I won't be getting another VW.

rpps
02-11-2014, 10:20 PM
My shock absorbers were replaced under warranty and the noise greatly reduced, by say 80%, but did not disappear completely. It's tolerable now but I won't be getting another VW.

Same here, my car is a lot quieter after the shock absorber replacement but I can still here he noise a bit and it sounds like the LHS shocker. When my car goes in for it's 30,000klm service I will be getting them to look at the noise again.

Fuelboss
08-11-2014, 11:45 PM
This issue with rear suspension was first reported on this forum in January 2013, nearly two years ago. Its reported on forums in the UK, Australia, US and Germany. This evening I read on the rforum that rear suspension noise is an issue there with the new golf R. Let’s face it, nearly two years have gone by and still VW cannot produce certain golf models without this hollow rattling, knocking or call it whatever you like noise that is very evident at lower speeds over certain road surfaces.

My car is a so-called 2015 GTI without DCC and though the shock absorbers were replaced just over a month ago I still have an issue. My car was registered in June this year and I purchased it as an ex demo car with less than 2k on the clock.

At this moment and for the next 5 months I am using the car in southern Portugal where the roads are generally very good but we have many pedestrian crossings and roundabouts just as elsewhere and on the approaches to these there are rumble strips. Now each and every one I drive over creates the knocking sound. Obviously there are some poor roads and over certain depressions, ridges etc the knocking also occurs.

My dealer in the UK, Bath VW, has been very good with this issue and in April next year they will investigate further. That’s fine but as Volkswagen have known of this issue for quite a long time I am not convinced they have taken this seriously or they really don’t have a definitive solution and therefore a change of dampers was no doubt the cheapest way in trying to resolve the problem on what may clearly be a design fault with the rear suspension.

I have published on YouTube the audio file of this knocking (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_1cLNtr75Y). It doesn't really represent what you hear inside the car as I have used a high pass filter but the knocking is quite clearly heard. Turn up the volume for best results. It was recorded simply on an iPhone and I will try and get a better example of this noise to publish.
VW take this seriously and get this sorted or do we have to wait for a MK8 Golf?

Fuelboss
19-04-2015, 05:33 PM
2015 GTI Performance DSG with Standard Suspension 3rd set of shock absorbers to be replaced within 6 months and with 6000 miles completed. This is an update to advise others who have the "Rolling Lumbar" noise from rear suspension just what can be achieved by being persistent.

17/04/2015 I had a meeting with a Technical Representative from VW Milton Keynes. The meeting was held at the local VW dealership.

Initially we discussed the issue and the failure of VW to come up with a solution to the rear suspension noise that VW says is caused solely by the shock absorbers and nothing else. Well after two changes of these parts then what else can they do mechanically. This question initially left them with no answer to my question.

Now another question that I put to them was this. Is this an issue with standard dampers only fitted to various models within the MK7 range or does it affect cars fitted with Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC). There was no answer as no one really knew but certainly that is something I am sure they will be aware of if they check there records. In my view it is only an issue with standard suspension.

After the initial discussion where I learned that VW had appeared to do nothing else other than issue new dampers we agreed to have the VW rep sit as a passenger in my car while I drove over a road in Bath City Centre that I knew would produce the noise. The VW representative acknowledged there was an issue and that it was the same as other owners have reported and that he had witnessed previously.

We then drove a more recent GTI that was a demo car several months old and with 6000 miles on the clock. The representative drove and I was the passenger. We concluded that the noise was still apparent but somewhat less intrusive with less of the higher frequency rattle.

Finally we drove a GTI with Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC) with just 2000 miles covered and with the DCC mode set to comfort, the ride quality was immediately and noticeably improved, with any odd sounds from therear suspension all but eliminated. Over many sections of the same stretch of road that previously gave rise to the noise there was no sound at all and the ride was exceptionally good. On returning to the Dealer the VW representative was asked by the master technician and the Service Manager as to the outcome to which the technical representative used the expression “like chalk and cheese”.

The situation as is currently stands is that next week another set of shocks will be fitted along with new top suspension mounts. If this is not successful then is agreed that the car will be swapped for one fitted with Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC). At this stage I have no idea how that will be arranged as ideally I wish to have exactly the same specification GTI as I currently have though the same colour may not be possible which would be a disappointment as I have mine in Sunset Red which I like very much as opposed to boring black or grey that is so common place these days.

I conclude that this meeting was successful and that whatever happens next week I will eventually have a car that is without the noise that has been such an issue for the past 6 months. All parties that I met with today showed concern and an understanding of the noise issue that appears to be present on so many MK7 cars in various countries worldwide even on the MK7 E car that is common place in Iceland.

What does disappoint me is that the German manufacturer appears to believe that shock absorbers are the creator of the noise and all they do is design another component and yet, like me, there are other owners that have had two sets fitted but it does not cure the noise problem. After two years in production VW have had ample time to come up with a 100% guaranteed solution but in my view they have failed. Are VW hoping that we will just live with the noise and hopefully just give up and go away. I am not going away as I have pushed hard and I believe I will get what I want. From the discussion today I see that VW are sympathetic toward my case and will be doing their best to satisfy me.

My advice to anyone who is in a similar position to myself and who feels that they have a genuine complaint regarding the rear suspension issue is to take the stance that I have taken and that is to reject the car if they can’t fix it or request a replacement with DCC fitted. VW admit they have this problem and so they are liable. Do request a meeting with a Technical Representative from VW UK as a dealer can only do so much for you.

If they are willing to offer a change of vehicle for me then they should do it for others in a similar position. Also do things to help your case. Use your mobile phone and lay it on the back seat of the car and record the noise. Write to customer services at Milton Keynes, write to your Dealer and if on finance then write to the finance company. If you paid cash then you still have rights.

Make sure you keep records of discussions and work that has been carried out so far. Too many owners are dissatisfied and deserve to have their issue resolved once and for all. They deserve to be compensated for their wasted time, inconvenience, expense in going to and from the dealers and for the general dissatisfaction of driving a new car that has a reported worldwide issue that has been formally acknowledged by Volkswagen.

I will advise you on the various stages that I now will go through over the next few weeks.

Please post a message on my Youtube video if you would as the more VW see this then the more likely that they might sit up and take more notice.
VW Golf GTI MK7 Rear Suspension Noise - Update 04/15. Car now rejected - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_1cLNtr75Y)

Send me a PM if you would as I would like to gather more information on whether only cars fitted with standard shocks have the problem or has it affected those with DCC.