PDA

View Full Version : Folding Mirrors & Dipstick Queries?

Allmac
02-06-2013, 09:33 AM
One of the things I like about folding mirrors is the ability to fold them in if you are approaching a tight situation when they might get a knock. Most cars allow you to do this on the move but an Audi A4 that I previously owned inhibited this until the car was virtually stationary...an unnecessary 'safety' feature in my opinion and a bit of a pain as it also required you to turn a knob rather than just a quick press of a separate retract button. I assume that my Golf will be similar to the Audi but hope it isn't. Also does the 1.4 TSI ACT have a conventional dipstick? My previous two cars both had electronic oil level checking which required searching through menus to find it which was a bit of a faff and there was no separate dipstick provided, so I assume that these are gradually being phased out on all new cars....although I would actually prefer a proper dipstick but perhaps I'm just a bit of a Luddite!

algarve
02-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Still conventional dipsticks...the mirrors do fold in on the move but I do it normally when entering a garage or other tight situations such as this morning when a driver in a narrow overgrown country lane decided to try and squeeze through rather than reverse into a passing bay on her side a few yards back ! You still have to turn a knob by the way as there is no sophisticated retract button.

Allmac
02-06-2013, 11:10 PM
Still conventional dipsticks...the mirrors do fold in on the move but I do it normally when entering a garage or other tight situations such as this morning when a driver in a narrow overgrown country lane decided to try and squeeze through rather than reverse into a passing bay on her side a few yards back ! You still have to turn a knob by the way as there is no sophisticated retract button.

Thanks Algarve, good news about the dipstick and folding mirrors on the move, shame about the lack of button but it's not too much of an issue.