PDA

View Full Version : Replacing A4 anti roll bar drop links 96 1.8T

rhencullen1989
30-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Hi, i have just replaced the anti roll bar drop links on my 96 1.8T, according to haynes, an easy enough job:D. The new links (FEBI) are rubber bushed as apposed to the original ball joints.First problem was not being able to get enough leverage on the nuts as you are working inside the wheel arch:(, also the suspension arm that the drop link is bolted to is rubber mounted so any effort through a ratchet handle is absorbed by the bushings:aargh4:, using a large adjustable on the arm to hold it still soon had the nuts undone:D, top bolt is seized into the arm and no way of hitting it with a hammer (NO ROOM):aargh4:, lots of penetrating fluid and a few good clouts soon gets it off, job done i thought, oh know, you cant pull the link out because it fouls the lower part of the strut, easy, remove the strut bolt, oh know, that fouls on the lower rear arm!:zx11:. Come on audi make it easier for the home mechanic!! Anyway out comes the hacksaw to crop 20mm or so off the ball joint thread, link out, new one in (held with a bolt and nut put in from the opposite way!:biglaugh:. 20 minute job takes 3 hours!:mad: Just to warn you not to take haynes as gospel.......

mr brightside
30-08-2007, 07:35 PM
welcome to the world of automobile maintenance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!