PDA

View Full Version : Parking Brake Fault - on 2 cars!!

VWfrust
30-08-2007, 11:25 AM
:1zhelp::1zhelp:Any help as i'm going insane!!!:1zhelp::1zhelp:

Brought an ex-demonstrator back in Jan 07 - 06 2.0 sport FSI (150PS), with all the extras added!! - from a VW dealer

In March 07 after its 1st service the computer displayed 'parking brake fault - see owners manual', all the warning symbols on the rev counter & speedo were flickering at the same time as the the warning alarm.
Took the car back to 3 different dealers a total of 9 times over the last 7 months!! every time being told the fault had cleared. Had the main ECU changed, convenience pack changed, parking brake switch changed and countless re-codes all to no success.

To cut a long and painful story short, the dealer agreed to replace the car - I now have the 2.0 sport FSI (200PS) - however this too has now come up with 'parking brake fault - see owners manual' (only 2 warning lights showing - 'P' with circle and diagonal line through it and 'EPC' warning light).

Does anyone know if there is a common problem with these Passats or have I just managed to replace my car at random with another dodgy one? The dealer has recommended to monitor the car and possibly change the parking switch - arrrghhh not again!!!

VWfrust
05-09-2007, 07:31 PM
:aargh4:It just gets worse......

Been told by the dealer that the throttle was at fault and that they have changed the part - all OK! Car on its way back?

No....

Got a call this morning to say the fault has come back when they moved the car. They are now going for a software upgrade relating to over sensitive parking brake module (something to do about volt drops?)

Has anyone come about this before?

Have sent a personal letter of complaint to Paul Wills - do you think he'll reply (hasn't to any of my emails)

Can I be the only one??

philkincey
06-09-2007, 06:00 PM
SORRY IF THIS IS LENGTHY-
A)I have recently bought a Passat 1.9tdi 06 105ps model and have had trouble with the "parking brake auto release" not releasing.
I was told by the dealer I bought it from (not close to where I live) that the auto release automatically released when you applied the clutch & accelerated in a normal manner however, some times it would not release & I thought it had developed a fault so I went to a dealer (close to where I live) who checked it and said it was working OK & that you have to operate the foot brake first before carrying out the normal moving off procedure (this is not safe practice- ever tried doing this on a hill?) we phoned round and the majority of dealers said the same thing but they were wrong!! VW customer services technical department were amazed at this error as auto release is standard on all Passats with parking brake button- you just need to make sure 1) all doors are closed. 2) occupants have their seat belts on. 3) you depress the clutch sufficiently and 3) you apply sufficient throttle to move off on level or incline. and if you meet that criteria the auto release will work.
B) My car was subject to a re-call job last month which involved a new control unit and steering column- this meant that the software was updated including the remote FOBs- since the work was carried out I have had constant intermittent problems with starting the engine- have had it back to the same local dealer who kept it for a week and reported no fault found!
IS anybody else out there having the same problems with starting since this re-call or any other problems similar to mine?

Cheers Phil.

VWfrust
08-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Our 1st Passat had this recall work carried out on it. The dealer told us it wasn't within the range that was recalled but they carried this work out anyway to try and fix the parking brake fault that was constantly appearing on the multi function computer. When I picked the car up I had to take the spare key to get it reprogrammed. When I actually got to the car and attempted to open the boot via the handle on the boot this made the petrol flap open!!
Somehow the programming of the spare key managed to screw the car's coding - they couldn't fix it there and then and had to get the car reprogrammed from Germany. Needless to say this £600 piece of warrantly work didn't fix the problems we were having with the car!! As for any further problems with the car? I don't know as I never took the car back and had it replaced with another Passat (which went faulty as well!)

Perry
23-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Scarry stuff, I will be picking mine up on Wednesday.

It's used but only 5500 miles.

After reading that, I'm pleased I took extended warranty.

Spiceman
24-09-2007, 01:49 PM
Hi,

Just booked my 06 1.9tdi in to sort out the parking brake fault.

Every morning it displays parking brake fault, and won't release. I have to keep hitting the button to realese it and drive around with the display showing a fault.

Have spoken to the dealer it would seem that some models have been recalled for a fault but not mine, this is really spoiling a decent car!!

:confused:

johnloaderuk
12-07-2008, 09:21 PM
I had this fault showing on my car for the first time yesterday, exactly how you describe it in your first post. After stopping the car and starting it again the fault was still there. Got home and decided to take it to my supplying dealer first thing this morning. The fault was still there when I left home, but within less than three miles I suddenly noticed the fault had gone. I then stopped the car a further two times to try to replicate the fault but it never re-appeared, and all seems back to normal - for now anyway. I've had this car from new and it's now got 99k on the clock, so can maybe expect a few problems. Hopefully all's now well - time will tell.

gamichea
13-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Hi,

Just booked my 06 1.9tdi in to sort out the parking brake fault.

Every morning it displays parking brake fault, and won't release. I have to keep hitting the button to realese it and drive around with the display showing a fault.

Have spoken to the dealer it would seem that some models have been recalled for a fault but not mine, this is really spoiling a decent car!!

:confused:

I had this, but only once. Got the fault message in the display and maybe the parking brake lamp in the speedo., nothing more. Called my dealer straight away. He said "Its almost certainly a problem with the dashboard button. Bring it in and we'll diagnose it". Took it in 8 o'clock next morning. Button confirmed as culprit and replaced there & then. Two hours and some software upgrades (unrelated??) later and I was on my way. No probs.since.

gazmic
26-08-2008, 05:27 PM
I'm currently enjoying "parking brake fault" problems intermittently, however my car is due to go in for a warranty repair for the boot opening when I unlock the car - very frustrating and will get the garage to look at the brake problem at the same time.

I will post any info if available, hopefully good news.

Quatrelle
26-08-2008, 08:49 PM
I just know I'm going to regret saying this, but mine just seemed to get better.

I really can't fault it, and I don't think I'm doing anything different - it's almost as if it reads my confidence.

RIDGMONT61
26-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Got the same dreaded message "Parking Brake Fault" and symbol on the speedo as I pulled up to the car park at work. The hand brake would not apply.

For a couple of days prior the parking brake did not apply after a first touch of the button - I just thought that I had not pressed it firmly enough - so it would appear that there are some early signs.

My local dealership wanted to come and collect the car on the back of a lorry - I told them not to be so daft - I would drive it in.

The button has been replaced under the warranty - time will tell if the problem is fixed in the long term.

richard t
27-08-2008, 02:01 PM
we had to get the VW service van out to one of our Crafters yesterday and while talking to the guy he said I should keep a 10mm spanner in my 08 passat to disconnect the battery to release the hand brake as it would almost certainly fail at some point

Quatrelle
27-08-2008, 05:26 PM
That's good advice. I keep one in mine - imo there are too many of these gizmos to go wrong in modern cars.:(

steve_c
22-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Parking brake has failed on my car with the brake stuck on. Can't go anywhere. :mad:. Glad i'm able to work from home.......

Like other posts, this happened a few days ago and thought nothing of it. Will be calling my local VW Dealer in the morning.

Quatrelle
23-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Parking brake has failed on my car with the brake stuck on. Can't go anywhere. :mad:. Glad i'm able to work from home.......

Like other posts, this happened a few days ago and thought nothing of it. Will be calling my local VW Dealer in the morning.What would have happened, I wonder, if you had disconnected and reconnected the battery? I ask only because it works for other things on these cars, and I carry a suitable spanner just in case.

steve_c
23-09-2008, 10:27 PM
What would have happened, I wonder, if you had disconnected and reconnected the battery? I ask only because it works for other things on these cars, and I carry a suitable spanner just in case.

I actually got a call back from the service manager at VW on an unrelated ongoing issue and asked him the same question. He said the first thing that the dealership would do is as soon as it's towed in is disconnect the battery to reboot the computer.

Have just given it a go and although the fault still exists, the first thing that happens is the parking brake released itself. Also, if done quickly enough, (2 seconds from disconnecting to reconnecting), the Radio didn't need the security code. Happy days.......

Now I can move it, I can take it to the dealership and get the problem fixed under warranty without the hassle of breakdown cover.

Will report back on what the fault was ......Cheers.

steve_c
03-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Parking brake switch was at fault. Switch replaced, computer reset and software upgraded.

Switch cost (covered under warranty) was £14.41

thngbfht
10-10-2008, 02:31 PM
I can't see why they insist on having the handbrake as a push button, the old handle was fine and never lets you down.

See my thread "handbrake failure" if you think this issue was bad!

Keith

VWfrust
19-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Sorry, haven't been online for a while now as its been fault free for over a year. I had a software download due to over sensitive voltages on ECU??

Well its come back!! Had it back to the dealership twice and they just haven't a clue what the fault is, just simply plugging in the computer and following their procedures - where did the good old mechanics go to??

Warranty runs out in the next week and although the fault still comes back, I've been told that I will eventually have to pay when I'm out of warranty.

Yes, VW Das Piecen Auto Crap!

http://mail.google.com/mail/?attid=0.1&disp=emb&view=att&th=123d356e7495c2f9

Quatrelle
19-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Also, if done quickly enough, (2 seconds from disconnecting to reconnecting), the Radio didn't need the security code. Happy days.......

It seems you don't need to worry about the radio code - the car recognizes the radio when you reconnect the battery.

Quatrelle
19-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Warranty runs out in the next week and although the fault still comes back, I've been told that I will eventually have to pay when I'm out of warranty.
Make a note of your visits to sort (or not) the fault out, and have a word with your local trading standards office asap. It could be argued that the dealer's inability to fix your car within the warranty period is their (and not your) responsibility.

JSH
22-09-2009, 09:54 AM
I had the same issue with my previous Passat estate exactly as described. It was looked at by a dealer who claimed is was caused by moisture in the wiring connection on the rear caliper. It was fixed and never reappeard.
might be worth checking. Hope this helps
John

nick.king
16-03-2015, 02:26 PM
Just started happening on my 2007 Passat yesterday, releases ok when I drive off (seat belt on and slowly accelerate) as it always has done.

I get the error as soon as I start the car, hitting the button a few times works and releases the parking brake.

Hopefully just need to replace the button......

DMitch16
18-03-2015, 12:18 AM
Good luck, hope it is just the button.

Replaced mine with the improved button version, then replaced the left caliper which seized due to water ingress within the motor (as a result of the infamous cracked motor casing which was poorly designed and not strong enough to resist the torsion created by the motor), then the right caliper...same issue. No problems since replacing them.

If you have the old caliper version still on the car there is a high risk that the motor casing will or already has split letting moisture into the motor gearing.

The EPB subject has been covered to death on this forum and on Martin1810's web site so you should find much information regarding the reasons behind the EPB faults that a great deal of B6 owners have experienced.