PDA

View Full Version : 115bhp Gttdi Golf Turbo / Intercooler Upgrade

davey_boy
30-08-2007, 10:08 AM
Hi does anyone have any information on upgrading the turbo / intercooler setup on the Golf GTTDI 115 PD. I have purchased a set of 150PD injectors to go on soon but am interested in further possible upgrades??

Thanks, Dave

rpbartlett
30-08-2007, 11:16 AM
How much did you pay for the injectors mate, do you know the performance gains. Can the injectors be bought for the 150PD as well.

i have an 150PD, remapped to 195bhp, and would also be interested to know what other upgrades are available.

ini
30-08-2007, 12:20 PM
The 115 uses the stock side mounted intercooler, similar to the earlier TDI's.

Change to the PD150 front mounted intercooler, or a good efficient aftermarket fmic.

I would go for a cooler with as large as possible frontal surface area, that is not too deep, and that does not have too large an internal volume. (an intercooler that is too large for the car can give 'lag' effects)

This should give a little more 'pep', and keep you on the power longer.

davey_boy
30-08-2007, 02:13 PM
Thanks INI, been looking at FMIC's but wasn't sure which one was best. I've also been looking at upgrading to the VNT17 turbo from the 130/150, have you any experience of this?

RP, I'm sure that the injectors you have are the best you can get for the PD engine, OEM wise that is, as they are the one's used in the big V10 engine on the Touareg. KermaTDI, (I think its spelt like that) do some racing injectors, but I think you're gonna be talking silly money for them. I picked my set up for £150, I believe they are £1400 new.

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to push your 150 further than 195BHP, I'm no expert but you might want to look at an exhaust then a custom re-map, with before and after rolling road tests. There's a load of lads from this site going to ChippedUK for a special offer rolling road day which includes the re-map, organised for 16th Sept, its £250, might be worth a visit mate. Check my posts for details.

ini
30-08-2007, 03:34 PM
The vnt15 'GT1749V' turbo that is on your car can be upgraded to a 'GT1749VA' from a 130PD Golf.

This turbo should bolt straight on. (many of the VNT17's from VW, AUDI, SEAT, SKODA will work with a little modding)

You need to check a couple of things first though:

1. Some of the vnt15 turbo's had an integral manifold, but yours should have the seperate triangular 3 bolt connection.

2. Does the turbo's compressor outlet to the intercooler point straight down, or sideways. If it points down you need the 130PD turbo from a Passat. (the same turbos have different variations for inline and longitudinal engines etc)

You can use the 150bhp GTTDI turbo 'GT1749VB' with integral manifold, but may have to alter an engine mount slightly (not sure).

Whichever upgraded turbo you installed, you would have to alter the ECU mapping to see a power increase, the 150 turbo would definitely not run right without a remap, as the spooling/AR/trim is different etc.

If you want to have big boost pressure (over 1.5bar / 21psi) you may also need to use a 3bar MAP/pressure sensor, as your car probably has a 2.5bar type. This will allow the ECU to be mapped to monitor higher charge correctly.

Installing a 3bar map without remapping for it, will increase boost pressure without the ECU knowing (not a good idea without careful setup or monitoring)

davey_boy
30-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the info ini