PDA

View Full Version : Static Cornering function duplicated with Xenons?

Allmac
27-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Just in the final stages of deciding my spec for a new GT 1.4 ACT DSG & trying to work out the options. I noticed that Xenons have static cornering lights but so do the standard fit fog lights! Does this mean that they both are illuminated or do VW alter the functionality of the fogs? On another issue what's the logic of the Satnav pricing? 'Discover' is a standard fit on the GT (a £735 option for the SE) but if I go for the 'Pro' version upgrade the cost is a whopping £1,650 with only a derisory allowance of £40 ....am I missing something:confused:

algarve
27-05-2013, 09:52 PM
Just in the final stages of deciding my spec for a new GT 1.4 ACT DSG & trying to work out the options. I noticed that Xenons have static cornering lights but so do the standard fit fog lights! Does this mean that they both are illuminated or do VW alter the functionality of the fogs? On another issue what's the logic of the Satnav pricing? 'Discover' is a standard fit on the GT (a £735 option for the SE) but if I go for the 'Pro' version upgrade the cost is a whopping £1,650 with only a derisory allowance of £40 ....am I missing something:confused:

If you are deciding on the spec for the GT the 'Discovery Pro' is a £1135 upgrade for all the additional functionalities, larger screen size etc. over the standard 'Discovery'

Xenons have a seperate H7 bulb lamp for the static cornering function not linked to the Foglight version.

maisbitt
27-05-2013, 09:53 PM

Can't say about the Xenon cornering function, but the satnav upgrade looks ridiculously overpriced for a slightly bigger screen and some hard drive storage.

Have you considered a GTD (67mpg combined) over the GT 1.4ACT if you're focussed on economy, or a GTI if you're not a Diesel fan (a very healthy 47mpg combined, considering the performance)? If you're running through solutions you can run one of these more expensive models for less than a GT due to their superior residuals (57% retained for a GTD, 55% for a GTI vs 47% for most of the rest of the Golf range, including GTs. Sounds like you value your satnav, which isn't standard equipment on the GTI/GTD, but Xenons are - speccing satnav on a GTI/GTD is cheaper than speccing Xenons on a GT. Well worth looking into. If you don't change your car regularly then you do end up paying more for a GTI/GTD as there's no escaping higher list price if you're not just financing the depreciation over 3 years.

I take it the reference to £40 is the difference between GFV on solutions for the car with and without the pro satnav? Almost all VW options are poor value on the used market, you won't get your money back so buy what you want for you and don't think about enhanced resale value. A golf with DSG (£1400) is worth about £300 more than a manual version at trade-in time, as is leather (£1650ish), most of the other options are worth coppers. The only "option" that doesn't cost you anything is 5 doors over 3 doors - 5dr costs £10 a month more than 3dr on solutions, but enhances GFV figure by about £400

Allmac
31-05-2013, 05:43 PM
If you are deciding on the spec for the GT the 'Discovery Pro' is a £1135 upgrade for all the additional functionalities, larger screen size etc. over the standard 'Discovery'

Xenons have a seperate H7 bulb lamp for the static cornering function not linked to the Foglight version.
Thanks Algarve, The price quoted in the price list (19th Oct) states £1,690 for the SE and £1,640 for the GT but I assume that this was a mistake...anyway it's academic as I don't think it's worth the additional money for the amount of use it will get...if I used the satnav every day then I might go for it.

Allmac
31-05-2013, 06:11 PM
Can't say about the Xenon cornering function, but the satnav upgrade looks ridiculously overpriced for a slightly bigger screen and some hard drive storage.

Have you considered a GTD (67mpg combined) over the GT 1.4ACT if you're focussed on economy, or a GTI if you're not a Diesel fan (a very healthy 47mpg combined, considering the performance)? If you're running through solutions you can run one of these more expensive models for less than a GT due to their superior residuals (57% retained for a GTD, 55% for a GTI vs 47% for most of the rest of the Golf range, including GTs. Sounds like you value your satnav, which isn't standard equipment on the GTI/GTD, but Xenons are - speccing satnav on a GTI/GTD is cheaper than speccing Xenons on a GT. Well worth looking into. If you don't change your car regularly then you do end up paying more for a GTI/GTD as there's no escaping higher list price if you're not just financing the depreciation over 3 years.

I take it the reference to £40 is the difference between GFV on solutions for the car with and without the pro satnav? Almost all VW options are poor value on the used market, you won't get your money back so buy what you want for you and don't think about enhanced resale value. A golf with DSG (£1400) is worth about £300 more than a manual version at trade-in time, as is leather (£1650ish), most of the other options are worth coppers. The only "option" that doesn't cost you anything is 5 doors over 3 doors - 5dr costs £10 a month more than 3dr on solutions, but enhances GFV figure by about £400 I agree that the price of the upgrade looks well overpriced and it doesn't appear to have much additional functionality that I would really use. My last four cars have all been auto diesels and the most recent being a 2.4L 205bhp but I've decided that as I do mostly short (non-business) runs these days (< 5 miles) and my annual mileage is low that petrol and a smaller car would be a better bet. I'm not sure if the 1.4TSI ACT would be much different for me than the equivalent diesel for short runs as I believe that diesels take longer to reach working temp over petrol...although I never seen any real research to back this up...and there's the particulate filter issue. I test drove both a diesel (dsg) and two petrols (one manual & one dsg). I liked them all but decided that the petrol was just little more refined, which was particularly noticeable when the stop/start function cut in.....the petrol was virtually imperceptible whereas the diesel started each time with a slight rattle & vibration not excessive but it would annoy me to the point I would switch it off. I'm intending to keep this car for five years and have gone for the additional 2 years warranty. I agree that its not worth spending too much on options as these add little to trade in value. I was looking also considering a Audi A3 SE but I would have to spend a lot to bring it up to GT spec and it will still be just an SE at trade in time...so the Golf is definitely a better bet........Anyway I placed my order yesterday and looking forward to driving it but delivery is looking like late Sept!