PDA

View Full Version : My A3 first impressions - what were yours?

james_tiger_woo
27-05-2013, 03:13 PM
I've just been to Harrogate and back in the A3 and I'm forming an opinion of it - mostly positive at this point.

Negative
It's not as economical as I would have thought, but time will tell - I need to drive it on my usual route to compare. +70 isn't a good speed to show proper consumption.
I filled up too and it didn't take as much as the Golf - I'll dig out the receipt to check
There is a storage draw under the drivers seat (storage pack) but not under the passenger one - there is, however, a big gap there :)
There's nowhere to put my sunglasses - there's no overhead storage - something I had been used to
Considering there's no manual handbrake, the centre tunnel takes up a LOT of room
I don't like the 2 layer boot option - I've lowered the shelf and that's where it will stay
I should have gotten Lumbar support - but that's my fault
It doesn't handle as well as the Golf, but that was a GT with lower/stiffer suspension on 18s

Positive
I found a pair of ISOFIX points in the passenger seat at the front - that WAS a pleasant surprise - I really hadn't expected that.
I love the handbrake, I've gotten used to it already
The AMI dial is just brilliant - I have to adjust to it properly but I am loving it and how it works with the car
Rear space is just astounding (apart from the boot)
It is quick - quicker than the Golf :)
It is comfortable and VERY quiet

All in, I'm liking it so far, I'll ramble on more later, but that's my first impression - A positive one. :)

JTW

james_tiger_woo
28-05-2013, 11:20 PM
Ok, a couple more gripes (sorry):
The boot just isn't big enough. It's smaller than the last A3 and a LOT smaller than a Mk6 Golf. The boot's side panels feel intrusive and I can't work out where the space between the side and the metal has gone.
The centre "tunnel" seems big. What exactly is taking up all the space in the centre? The cup holders aren't very big and the space behind them is tiny

There is good. Promise:
It's quiet. Very quiet.
And comfortable. The SE on 17 is a good ride - just don't hustle along. You'll find that ditch.
It wants you to go fast. I cruised home at 77/78. Felt like 50.
And at that speed, economy is markedly improved.

Guest 2
29-05-2013, 06:39 AM
Subscribed, interested to know how things develop.

KevTHC
29-05-2013, 08:55 AM
Thanks for starting this thread - I'll get my comments in as soon as I have time.

james_tiger_woo
29-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Oh, I have a massive gripe.

I didn't get an Audi cup! :( :( :(

Guest 2
29-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Oh, I have a massive gripe.

I didn't get an Audi cup! :( :( :(

I got one as a freebie when the car was in for servicing! ;)

icebun
29-05-2013, 09:08 PM
James,

Is the engine more quieter than the one in your mk vi golf at idle and under load ?

Thinking of moving to petrol next time as the clatter sometimes gets me down in my diesel engine.

Good to hear the road noise is low as well. Hope it stays that way when the tyres start to wear down.

james_tiger_woo
29-05-2013, 10:25 PM
James,

Is the engine more quieter than the one in your mk vi golf at idle and under load ?

Thinking of moving to petrol next time as the clatter sometimes gets me down in my diesel engine.

Good to hear the road noise is low as well. Hope it stays that way when the tyres start to wear down.

The engine is a lot quieter - the sound deadening is brilliant. It does give a satisfying growl when hustling along though.

It's so quiet in the cabin at 80 though - Better than the Golf, even with new tyres.

Guest 2
30-05-2013, 06:18 PM
Funnily enough I have a 8V 3dr 150bhp 2.0TDi out on loan until tomorrow. Same as James', its even Misano Red also!

Wow what a car! Very refined at speed, quick and easy on diesel too.

A cruise at 70-80mph this evening returned a MPG of 61.8mpg (engine has 4k on it). Engine is very responsive with excellent in gear torque and very quick in gaining speed when working the gears.

Dash is nice too, its a nice place to be. Seats are comfortable and generally the cabin has a nice feel to it, nice to touch materials and well laid out.

On this 3 door model, the boot is woeful and very very small compared to my 8P.

Will add a few more points later when I add some random snaps too.

james_tiger_woo
30-05-2013, 11:35 PM
I think you're following me :)

I'm not getting great MPG yet, but I'm only up to 500 miles.

But I am sorely disappointed by the boot space. Or is it just me?

Guest 2
31-05-2013, 06:20 AM
Boot space is very poor on this 3 door, not sure what its like compared to the SB.

I like it, nice comfy seats, nice driving position, quiet and miles ahead in everything compared to my 8P.

Should be dropping it back today, will add a few words later.

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz90/57_audi/Courtesy%20Cars/8VA3/e6b7365cce2d8ed9209fcf8ef370ad0c_zps724b386d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

james_tiger_woo
31-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Looks nice. Clearly a common spec theme as my friend had an 1.8TSI (I think it was) in S Line on test too :) -

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-LUZxCeU7n6o/UahuYkpYFeI/AAAAAAAAGB4/1JSuygkOZBY/w731-h548-no/20130507_123430.jpg

I don't quite get where the space between the body and interior panel has gone - I wonder if it's for options I didn't spec or Quattro I don't have... I may have a look under the car later....

Sam
31-05-2013, 10:49 AM
I don't quite get where the space between the body and interior panel has gone - I wonder if it's for options I didn't spec or Quattro I don't have... I may have a look under the car later....

While you're looking under there, see if you can see the exhaust pipe - that should answer the "why is the tunnel so huge and what is under there" question

The Americans call that part a transmission tunnel too, there's another hint for free :biglaugh:

james_tiger_woo
31-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Am sensing sarcasm and "JTW - Don't be silly" :)

The tunnel seems quite intrusive for a FWD car - I'm sure exhausts in the past have gone wherever the manufacturer damn well pleases, but if it's in the middle, I guess the flat floor will help aerodynamics and, ultimately, emissions.

Lying under the car might be a no-no as I might fall asleep :)

Sam
31-05-2013, 10:58 AM
No sarcasm here, I wouldn't have thought that simply removing a handbrake cable would mean a smaller centre tunnel though.

I know on all the cars I've owned (bar the rear engined ones of course) the transmission tunnel has always been bulky to allow the transmission/gearbox/etc to be as far away from the road below as possible.

I seem to recall Audi moving towards a flat underbody design a few years back too.

Have a search for images of the underside of A3s - (I'd do it but I fear I may too fall asleep :D) - that should give you a better idea of what's going on under there :)

james_tiger_woo
31-05-2013, 11:01 AM
No worries.

What I meant was that in the B6 Passat, there's a lot of space in the centre with the handbrake having been removed - I understand the MMI's there (which, I must say is just brilliant) but there's so little useable storage, I'm genuinely surprised.

Didn't know that about the flat underbody, but that makes sense. Hmm. You live and you learn.

james_tiger_woo
31-05-2013, 05:59 PM
Nice little touch - the car, despite not specing auto hold, has some kind of anti roll back on it. I pulled up to the junction which was on a slant and when stopped, the car held for about 5 seconds. Quite handy.

Guest 2
31-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Yep I noticed that too, also works if you release the handbrake manually too.

james_tiger_woo
13-06-2013, 03:09 PM
Forgot to add - I like that the boot interior and numberplate lights use white LEDs. Nice touch.

fairy100
06-11-2014, 07:20 PM
Please can you explain this post a bit more for the dense/ less technical posters like me.

fairy100
06-11-2014, 07:21 PM
Nice little touch - the car, despite not specing auto hold, has some kind of anti roll back on it. I pulled up to the junction which was on a slant and when stopped, the car held for about 5 seconds. Quite handy.

Please can you explain this post a bit more for the dense/ less technical posters like me.

fairy100
06-11-2014, 07:21 PM
Yep I noticed that too, also works if you release the handbrake manually too.

And this one too. Thanks.

james_tiger_woo
11-02-2015, 02:44 PM

Thought I'd replied to this - Sorry, I've been away.

On a hill, I come to a stop - handbrake OR footbrake. When I either take the handbrake off (with footbrake/button) or when I take my foot off the footbrake, the car remains stationary for a few seconds.

Whippy53
18-02-2015, 10:56 AM
T'missus has a new Jetta that has this, the system retains hydraulic pressure for four (or five) seconds, just enough time to take her foot off the brake and hold the car using clutch and throttle before it rolls back on the hill. Use full but basic.

Mac Kerr
18-03-2015, 10:19 PM
I have a 2015 USA spec A3 sedan w/225bhp sport package, and 18" wheels with Continental ProContact TX tires. Overall I love the car, but the navigation/electronics package is overcomplicated, and I hate the tires! I have about 5000mi on the car and am now on my 4th right front tire. Even hitting a minor pothole tears the sidewall. I am now driving a loaner as the dealer waits for a tire to be shipped 2500mi to replace mine. All the matching tires in the US have been sold to people with flat tires.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? We had a very hard winter in the northeastern US and there are a lot of damaged roads, but this is ridiculous.

Mac