PDA

View Full Version : Golf MK7 (GT 1.4 TSI) and the headlights

JDB007
26-05-2013, 05:29 PM
I have done only 700 miles since new and overall I am completely satisfied with everything in terms of comfort, finish, performance etc. and cannot fault anything. That is until I drove it at night time for the first time a couple of nights back. The internal white lighting system is superb and I still need to adjust the intensity but absolutely crystal clear. The dipped headlights seem to be reasonably good (Standard Halogen's) but switching to main beam I was taken back a little they don't seem to be that good !! There seems to be a black hole (at distance) where there should be a good focal point. ( I owned a Vauxhall Vectra 2.2 Elite which its Halogen lights were much better) so it leads to the question - Are the headlights set correctly (from new) or should they be upgraded to something a little more powerful, and that does NOT include any Xenon rated bulbs. Has any MK6/7 owners changed their H7 bulbs for something better? How about the Philips Extreme vision ? Thanks JDB007

Norbreck21a
26-05-2013, 07:45 PM
In my experience, the standard halogen bulbs used by VW are normally very poor to average at best. I've always upgraded mine to either Philips extreme vision as you say, or more recently, Osram Nightbreakers, and these made a massive difference.

Having said that, the main beam on my old MK5 Golf was way out from new, and when properly adjusted, in itself made a huge difference.

maisbitt
26-05-2013, 08:03 PM
Always been a fan of Osram nightbreakers, and they were very cheap on Eurocarparts when I had to buy a set for the car and a spare set to appease the French police in the even of being pulled over, last time I was on the continent. I will probably have an unused set going spare when my Xenon-equipped GTD arrives.

Norbreck21a
27-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Don't forget Maisbitt, the static cornering light in the GTD's Xenon headlight assembly, is in itself a standard H7, so that's where a couple of my Nightbreakers from the current Scirocco are going when my GTD arrives (eventually) ;)

Dolmen
27-05-2013, 12:28 PM
I'm always learning, I didn't realise that there was such a difference in bulbs! Been reading a bit online, only thing I didn't like was the shorter life span of these bulbs! As with my luck they would need replaced on the wettest night of the year!
However I'd like to hear more from folks with their experience of using them. My present car I've had for 14 years, and I know a bulb has blown at least once, perhaps twice....

JDB007
27-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Hi Norbreck21a I guess it might be a good idea to refocus the lights first (Garage wall job!!) marking the start point and moving the headlamps and testing afterwards. One thing I am pleased with is how simple it is to replace the bulbs on he MK7 - just peel off the rubber backing caps, twits the bub holder and its out ... Thanks for your reply

DW58
15-06-2013, 12:24 PM
As a matter of interest, are the main-beam headlamp bulbs on the Mk.7 the same fitting as the Mk.6 - the reason I ask is that I currently have Osram Nightbreakers on my Mk.6, and will swap them over to the Mk.7 when it arrives if this is possible - thanks.

JDB007
04-10-2013, 12:23 PM
I have been watching this thread since new and am finding the question of what replacement bulbs can be fitted to the GOLF MK7 somewhat of a nightmare. It seems to be a subject that has everyone has slightly different ideas. Firstly I am totally satisfied with everything about the car (performance/Comfort/Build quality etc. etc.) BUT the headlamps don't quite hit the spot! (pardon the pun) :D VW seem to keep it a secret to what they fit and I see that where LED's are added to the DRL's they can cause problems where the car reports bulb failures? Can any readers make a true statements of bulb upgrades and what they have fitted and work with some reasonable increase in vision? Are the MAIN BEAM bulbs H7 and the DIPPED BEAM with DRL combined H15's? I am looking at what seems to be the most popular replacements from either Philips or OSRAM, and the Philips X-Treme Vision seem to be the best (?). Anyone care to share their own personal experience of upgrading these bulbs and lastly the Owners Manual seems to indicate that bulb changes are fairly straight forward. Look forward to your responses out there. Thanks to all.

DW58
04-10-2013, 08:02 PM
Yes, H7 for dipped beam and H15 (twin filament bulbs) for combined DRL and High Beam headlights. I replaced the dipped beam headlights on my Mk6 with Osram Nighbreaker Plus and have already acquired the same for my forthcoming Mk7. I replaced the sidelight bulbs with Phillips W5W bulbs (again awaiting Mk7), however the matter of the Main beam/DRLs isn't so easy.

There are a couple of alternatives - one very expensive, the other Osram H15 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Osram-Original-Equipment-bulb-single/dp/B003A5ZS8G/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380913219&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=osram+h15+6000k) which run at just under £40/pair, but rumour has it these may be what VW fir as OEM, so I'm awaiting delivery to see what's fitted before I make any decision.

JDB007
05-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Came across this whilst doing some surfing .....
OSRAM H15 15/55w 12V OEM REPLACEMENT BULB - PART NO 64176 - HIDS DIRECT LTD Store (http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/osram-h15-15-55w-12v-oem-replacement-bulb-part-no-64176/)

See 3 more pictures (http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/osram-h15-15-55w-12v-oem-replacement-bulb-part-no-64176/)
OSRAM H15 15/55w 12V OEM REPLACEMENT BULB - PART NO 64176
RRP:
Price:
£18.95
SKU:
osram h15
Vendor:
Product Description
BRAND NEW OSRAM H15 15/55W 12V BULB
This a brand new original equipment replacement bulb made by Osram.
They're used for main beam headlamps and daytime running lights on German cars such as Audi & VW.

UV Filter (Filters out UV light - safe to use on Modern plastic headlamps)
Lead Free (safe to handle)
Osram original manufacture bulb
Made In Germany
Part no: 64176

Looking for an upgrade to enhance the look of this bulb? We stock H15 upgrade kits to convert these original bulbs to a whiter more aesthetically pleasing look. You can buy these in combination with the new H15 bulb using the drop-down menus on this page.

JDB007

DW58
05-10-2013, 07:41 PM
Yes, H7 for dipped beam and H15 (twin filament bulbs) for combined DRL and High Beam headlights. I replaced the dipped beam headlights on my Mk6 with Osram Nighbreaker Plus and have already acquired the same for my forthcoming Mk7. I replaced the sidelight bulbs with Phillips W5W bulbs (again awaiting Mk7), however the matter of the Main beam/DRLs isn't so easy.

There are a couple of alternatives - one very expensive, the other Osram H15 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Osram-Original-Equipment-bulb-single/dp/B003A5ZS8G/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380913219&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=osram+h15+6000k) which run at just under £40/pair, but rumour has it these may be what VW fir as OEM, so I'm awaiting delivery to see what's fitted before I make any decision.

Came across this whilst doing some surfing .....
OSRAM H15 15/55w 12V OEM REPLACEMENT BULB - PART NO 64176 - HIDS DIRECT LTD Store (http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/osram-h15-15-55w-12v-oem-replacement-bulb-part-no-64176/)

See 3 more pictures (http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/osram-h15-15-55w-12v-oem-replacement-bulb-part-no-64176/)
OSRAM H15 15/55w 12V OEM REPLACEMENT BULB - PART NO 64176
RRP:
Price:
£18.95
SKU:
osram h15
Vendor:
Product Description
BRAND NEW OSRAM H15 15/55W 12V BULB
This a brand new original equipment replacement bulb made by Osram.
They're used for main beam headlamps and daytime running lights on German cars such as Audi & VW.

UV Filter (Filters out UV light - safe to use on Modern plastic headlamps)
Lead Free (safe to handle)
Osram original manufacture bulb
Made In Germany
Part no: 64176

Looking for an upgrade to enhance the look of this bulb? We stock H15 upgrade kits to convert these original bulbs to a whiter more aesthetically pleasing look. You can buy these in combination with the new H15 bulb using the drop-down menus on this page.

JDB007

PLEASE READ MY PREVIOUS POST

That is the exact bulb to which I referred above, research has indicated (as has what you have posted) that this may well be the lamp Volkswagen fit as OEM for the DRL/Main Beam headlights in Halogen-light equipped Mk7 Golfs.

Therefore as I suggest above, please don't spend your hard-earned sheckels until you have confirmed what is fitted as standard to your car.

CHECK - CHECK - CHECK

JDB007
06-10-2013, 11:06 AM
OK, sorry missed the finer detail DW58 but I will certainly wait to see what develops - hopefully not to long. Thinking aloud, that fitting upgraded bulbs to the Dipped beam (H7) only at this stage, when switching from dipped to main (with standard H15 bulb) equals less light/range etc. could that be a little dangerous? Keep the forum updated if you see any updates/availability for H15 replacements. Thanks DW58 good talking to you.

DW58
06-10-2013, 01:51 PM
I already have Osram H7 Nighbreaker Plus bulbs ready to fit to my Mk7 when it arrives - the difference was so significant on the Mk6 that I'd decided on the same upgrade ages ago.

I simply don't know with the H15 set - I need to wait to see what is already fitted to the Mk7 but I'll advise as soon as I know.

jk88
07-10-2013, 07:02 AM
I replaced the H7s with Osram Nightbreaker Plus (£15 pair from Euro Car Parts) on our Mk7 last week and they make a real difference

JDB007
07-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Looks like to be a fairly universal answer to the dipped beams (H7) so I might venture out and buy a pair soon. It was a nice day today (7th) so I gave the Golf a thorough clean top to bottom and whilst I felt adventurous I took out the main Beam and DLR bulb out to see how easy it was. It could not be simpler (hats of to VW) for a great and easy access ..... THANKS TO ALL CONTRIBUTORS .... :beerchug:

DW58
07-10-2013, 08:51 PM
Did you happen to notice what make the main beam/DRL H15 bulbs were? That is my problem, I don't yet have my car (BW 42, i.e. next week), hence the fact I'm not buying a replacement until I know what's in there.

I can't emphasise enough how much of an improvement that you get from the Osram Nightbreaker Plus H7 bulbs, plus the W5W Osram sidelights at minimal cost. I bought mine from Amazon this time around ... ...

Osram Night Breaker Plus Gold Limited Edition H7 Twin Pack (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AQJBV80/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) @ £16.75
Osram Ultra Life 2825ULT-02B W5W/501 bulbs in a twin blister pack (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003A61V0O/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) @ £3.43

So there you have your up-rated dipped headlights and sidelights for a total of only £ 20.18

Now - if you could check and see what make your H15 main beam/DRL bulbs are please?

JDB007
08-10-2013, 07:28 PM
Hello DW58 - The bulb shows absolutely NOTHING !! :aargh4: at least no marking to show the manufacturer etc. Sorry. Maybe you will have better luck when you get the car. JDB007

DW58
08-10-2013, 07:40 PM
That's a bit of a bummer - here's a photo of the Osram twin-filament H15, how does this compare to the ones in your car?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/HighlandSniper58/905992ee446350e45ed8c0045c991ac8.jpg

I wondered if the coloured plastic base might identify it as Osam or otherwise.

JDB007
08-10-2013, 07:50 PM
I'll look again tomorrow (time permitting) for you and take a closer look and update asap. Cheers JDB007

C5Clive
09-10-2013, 04:34 PM
In the experience of people who've used nightbreakers, how long do they usually last?

DW58
09-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Mine have been in use for three years this month - still going strong.

JDB007
09-10-2013, 05:09 PM
Good point, so that raises another round of facts and figures - anyone care to contribute :dunno:

C5Clive
09-10-2013, 07:04 PM
That's pretty good, I'd heard the lifespan tended to be measured in months rather than years. I see there are some new nightbreaker unlimited bulbs due for release later this month, which promise improved performance and longevity so I might pick up a set of those.

amullo
11-10-2013, 12:12 PM
Ive hade Osram nightbreakers in my E46 BMW and they lasted 4years. I´ve got Osram Nightbreaker PLUS in my Ducati Multistrada and they are going strong after 2 years. There is huge diffrence in how well the bulbs perform. Tests in a local car magazine have shown that switching from stock bulbs to "high performance" ones can add 10 yards and 3-4 yards width to you lowbeam and up to 30 yards and 10 yards witdh on the highbeam by just that one change. The VW Golf Mk 7 lights where also tested in that same magazione and the lowbeam (xenon tested) got a 4 star rating, while the highbeam only received 1 star. The reason for this was that the higbeam was aimed to high when the lowbeam was properly aimed. Again.. This is for the xenon equipped golf Mk7. The lowbeam scored 81meter long and 21 wide, while the highbeam scored only 152m and 2meters wide (at 150meters) against a nominal range of 197 range by 16m wide for a 3 star rating. Basically the Mk7 needs auxillary highbeams or better bulbs depending on what you use the car for. Like this guys Golf Mk 7. The test (in swedish, but with pics, can be read here Ljustest: Hyundai i30, Honda Civic, Volkswagen Golf (2012) | Vi Bilägare (http://www.vibilagare.se/test/ljus/ljustest-hyundai-i30-honda-civic-volkswagen-golf-2012-38849)http://i40.tinypic.com/2641jsw.jpg

JDB007
11-10-2013, 05:11 PM
With those extra "beams" I bet I can see the sky light up at night here in the UK !!!!! Can't imagine what the airflow to the cooling system is like now. Car looks great in that colour - enjoy and the bulb technical details are interesting - Thanks. Let's wait and see what OSRAM or PHILIPS come up with regarding the H15 bulbs. JDB007

DW58
11-10-2013, 08:49 PM
I have to wonder what those three searchlights do for the fuel consumption - they must produce massive Parasite-drag, plus they don't look good.

amullo
30-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Dw58. Its the old argument.
Do you want to look good or see good?

Skickat från min GT-P7500 med Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

maisbitt
31-10-2013, 08:38 AM
Osram Nightbreaker Plus were going strong after 18 months in my Scirocco, then I traded it in. I put a set in my MK7 GTD for the static cornering lights (dipped/main is standard Xenon).

jv808
31-10-2013, 07:55 PM
I don't get it - why not spec the factory fitted bi-xenon's? I've visited Stockholm, beautiful city and great people but it isn't that dark :)

amullo
10-11-2013, 09:42 PM
Trust me. It gets plenty dark here for 6-7 months of the year. My mk 7 will have bixenons, but Im fitting aux lights aswell. Just found a great price on a set of rayzer auxlamps. Anyone seen those? Extra Xenon highbeams that glue to the inside ofthe windshield. I just hope they fit!

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk