PDA

View Full Version : Sat Nav Update

porty
25-05-2013, 08:03 PM
I have just paid £162 to have my Sat Nav Updated by my Audi Dealer, although I have just been out in then car today and there are some major new roads near me not on it. The roads have been in place for a number of years now and so I wonder if there is a way of checking that the update has been correctly installed by my dealer. I bought the MMI3G update (2013 Version) for my HDD MMI3G Sat Nav on my 1.9.09 registered car which my dealer installed. I never wrote down the map version that my car had prior to the update, but my car shows that the current Nav Database Version is 8R0060884E_ECE 5.8.5 (and software version HNav_EU_P0022_D1). I just wondered whether anyone knows if I've got the up-to-date version before I go back to my dealer after the bank holiday weekend. Any help would be much appreciated.

Guest 2
25-05-2013, 08:28 PM
A map pack will use the previous years database.

Ie - a 2013 map pack will actually use a 2012 road database.

Not sure if that helps but it might clear something up.

porty
26-05-2013, 04:11 AM
Thanks for the post. The documentation does say that the 2013 Update will be 2012 data (!!!!), but the new roads in question have been there for several years now and I can't help thinking that my Sat Nav hasn't been updated properly.

Soot1e
26-05-2013, 06:41 AM
Just been and checked the versions on mine (2013 with tech pack)

HN+_EU_AU3G_PO612

8R0060884AR ECE 6.15.5

Hope it helps.

porty
26-05-2013, 07:51 AM
Thanks Soot1e for going to the trouble of looking up your version - it is much appreciated. Even without knowing how they number the database versions, your number seems to be higher/later than mine is showing and so I do suspect that the update wasn't installed correctly. It must be an electronic process as the 'case' I was given by my dealer didn't contain a DVD or an SD card or anything - I wish it had as I could have had a go at re-installing it myself!

cactusgreen
26-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Common problem missing roads, as its down to the local council to inform the map builders of their exsistance!! Just been asking my dealer about updates to mine...your price is low, I was told they are 200! Also, can only be done at dealer as it needs to doal up to germany to activate the updates....a few have found ways to skip that but defo not for the faint hearted!! What nav system is yours running? I've got the mmi 3G HDD I think - lol but not even sure of that, but do know there might be a tech update available...gonna ask that Q Tuesday

porty
26-05-2013, 08:33 AM
Thanks cactusgreen. The updates are normally £200, but there's a promotion running until 1 June where it is only £162. This is a national offer advertised on the Audi.co.uk website under Owner's Area, Spring Accessories, Spring .pdf. I have the 3G HDD MMI Tech Pack High system on my 2009 S4.

cactusgreen
26-05-2013, 10:55 AM
Nice find!! Dealer never mentioned that yesterday, makes it a slightly less bitter pill lol....did you just pay that, or an install fee ontop....been told its a few hours to do?

porty
26-05-2013, 08:47 PM
cactus green - £162 is the price I paid including installation and VAT, although I remain convinced that they haven't installed it properly!!!

cactusgreen
26-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Have to agree.....mine is on 5.11.7 and mine is an August 10 S4.

troc
27-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Nice find!! Dealer never mentioned that yesterday, makes it a slightly less bitter pill lol....did you just pay that, or an install fee ontop....been told its a few hours to do?

When I had my maps updated a year or so ago, they failed to update them properly and it took a lot of hassle from me to get them to check and see what had gone wrong.

The issue is that the MMI 3G (HDD) map updates will only work if they are verified with Audi in Germany - i.e. the car has to be plugged into the dealer network and the serial number of the map they are installing is associated to your VIN. This is fine but, at least in my case, lead to the dealer mistakenly assuming that the connection to Audi also updated the maps. It doesn't, the maps have to be updated on site using the SD card that is in the package with the card holding the serial number to your new maps.

If you install the new data without connecting to Audi, they won't work - you just retain the old data and (what's worse) if you connect to Audi and input the new serial number, your car will INSIST it has the new maps but will still only use the old ones (because the new ones were never installed.........)

Check they installed the new maps with the SD card and that the associated and verified the install with Audi.....

porty
27-05-2013, 09:30 AM
Thanks troc - that is very useful information.

porty
29-05-2013, 12:58 PM
Dear All, I spoke to my dealer yesterday about my Sat Nav update having not worked and they readily ordered a new activation code (which arrived today) and it is booked in again tomorrow for the update. Whilst inconvenient, I'm just pleased that it should all be sorted by tomorrow!

cactusgreen
29-05-2013, 05:05 PM
cactus green - £162 is the price I paid including installation and VAT, although I remain convinced that they haven't installed it properly!!!

So after much searching....that offer was for old satnav data for some specific cars from 2009 only. Have you got the invoice with the part numbers on it? My chap says if they just added any old update that will be why its not worked - S4 is specific...well partly, as its the HDD version we have.

He suggests the next update may be August too....and said wait for it...then added i can have 10% off when i do order it.

He asked what dealer it was that may have messed up too.....

porty
29-05-2013, 06:34 PM
The invoice shows part 8R0060884AR NAV3G EUROPE and the booklet I was given says Europa MMI Navigation Plus (MMI3G) Version 2013 and has the 8R0060884AR number on it too. This would appear to be the correct product. The Audi website did quote a discounted price of FROM £162 and so it could be that the MMI3G price was supposed to be higher, but I thought perhaps it was the cheapest as there was no physical media (no DVD/CD/SD card), but I may be wrong about that. In any event, my dealer is going to sort it out for me one way or the other and so I'm happy with that. Your offer of 10% off the August 2013 update sounds good!

cactusgreen
29-05-2013, 07:25 PM
Yup, that's the right one, must have not got through to germany properly with the pins.... Hmmm what dealer did that for 162 then, as mine won't!

porty
29-05-2013, 07:51 PM
Well I live in Hull ........

porty
30-05-2013, 11:38 AM
And the saga continues ..... Having ordered a new activation code, my dealer attempted to reload the Map Update to my car again today, getting the message that it had been successful, only for the car to revert to the old map when they disconnected it. My dealer now understands (from a technical release that came out only last week) that the MMI Software needs to be updated first before the Map Update will be accepted. My dealer has now ordered the MMI Software Update and shall be trying again tomorrow - not sure if there's normally a charge for an MMI update, but it is being done for free. As you can imagine, I'm starting to get a bit frustrated with how long this is dragging on.

cactusgreen
31-05-2013, 04:13 PM
well 4 dealers near me refuse to do the update at the price audi advertised....and cust serv said its down to each dealer to set a price for the update and if there is any install charge...as its an update not a recall..so optional!!!

After much arguing the best i got was yes we can do that price but will charge to install.....min labour of 122!!!!!

So i went back to my own dealer and pushed them on the firmware update...so its booked in wednesday. This info is great...sounds like it might just go through as a warranty item...and the new maps a bonus...well i can dream lol

iI'm on HNav_EU_P0029_D1 atm

porty
31-05-2013, 07:51 PM
The dealer has had my car for 2 days this week and it had it for 2 days last week. A master technician spent 6 hours on it today and I still haven't got my new map. The firmware has been updated from HNav_EU_P0022_D1 to HNav_EU_K0253_D1, but the new map update still won't take. I'm on map 5.8.5 and they're trying to load 6.15.5. They are waiting for further advice (by email) from Audi Technical Support. My car will have to go back next week. If they can't load it next week, I will be asking for a refund and will sell the car - I'll get a sensible car where you take the SD card out of the car, put it in your computer and get four map updates per year for c.£25.

cactusgreen
31-05-2013, 07:58 PM
That doesn't even sound like the right firmware!!?? Mmm they have moved to google maps anyway, with real photo 3D anyway so I doubt any car will have an off-line system for long now...

ScottyUK
01-06-2013, 09:13 AM
Once Audi launch a new system focus on previous issues goes out the window. Audi UK told me they couldn't get any focus on my Nav issue so I got £1k back in settlement. Since it was not major I accepted. I don't think I'd have got it fixed regardless :-/

porty
01-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Knowing that I wasn't happy, my dealer have referred my issue to Audi UK on my behalf and they will be ringing me on Monday. As my car is a year older than ScottyUK's, I fear that they might not be able to update mine either. As cactusgreen has said, things will be so much easier when all cars are on-line and we won't have these issues with updates.

cactusgreen
04-06-2013, 11:49 PM
Once Audi launch a new system focus on previous issues goes out the window. Audi UK told me they couldn't get any focus on my Nav issue so I got £1k back in settlement. Since it was not major I accepted. I don't think I'd have got it fixed regardless :-/

So just to be clear....they failed to update your sat nav, can't fix the issue....didn't swap the unit but gave you 1K as a goodwill....and am i right in thinking yours is just out of warranty??

Mines in tomorrow.....

ScottyUK
05-06-2013, 12:02 AM
I had all the updates possible and a free map upgrade (in case it was related). I still had occurrences where on some roundabouts it would tell me the correct instructions on approach but when on the road about would say "take the second exit" when you was just passing one and hence it should have said "take the next exit".

I video'ed it, provided GPS co-ordinates, demonstrated it to Audi techs etc etc. In the end Audi UK said they couldn't get focus on the 3G SatNav as Germany was now focussed on the next system. Most peoples satnav on MY2010's works fine after the software is updated but mine didn't. I thought they'd swap the unit but I'd rather have £1k and a few dodgy instructions.

porty
06-06-2013, 07:11 PM
The Sat Nav was finally sorted today. All now updated to the latest version. My dealer gave me a 4.0V8 S6 Avant as a courtesy car and are organising me a weekend in an R8 (with a full tank of fuel) to apologise for the couple of return visits to the dealer I had to endure. All-in-all, I'm very pleased with the outcome!

cactusgreen
06-06-2013, 07:14 PM
Yay!! Waiting on mine to come back, they say it went fine so I'll see lol. So what versions are you now showing and I'll compare to mine.

porty
08-06-2013, 08:55 AM
cactusgreen - mine is now showing HNav_EU_K0253_D1 8R0060884AR ECE 6.15.5.

cactusgreen
08-06-2013, 07:27 PM
Now i'm confused!! Mines had the 'latest' update...but its not what you have?? Is yours the MMI 3G HDD...or the DVD based one then...My dad picked up a 2012 A5 yesterday, with the DVD based one, and that fimware matches yours, if not the maps lol

I'm pushing Audi for a map upate too now, based on an error i can reproduce leaving home....it did fix the iffy TMC signal so thats a plus...but....it also wiped out all my tweaks and extra functions i'd VCDS'd in....took a while to get the TPMS running again grrrr.

porty
09-06-2013, 07:44 AM
cactusgreen - I have the MMI 3G HDD. Everything works fine. As you know, they had quite a problem updating my car and they got quite a lot of advice (by email) from the Audi UK Techincal Team. I presume it has been done correctly!!!!

cactusgreen
09-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Its no wonder so few have this done!! Mine is also apparently on latest versions....and i now have HNav_EU_K0031_3_D1...which matchest all other 3G MMI HDD units i can find.....and yours matches my dads 2012 DVD based one:confused:

Maybe its something to do with the map update that they didn't do.........im pushing for a goodwill on that one after all the messing about. Mine did fix the TMC issue...which is mostly what this update is listed for, but it seems mad that so few dealers seem to know what to do on these HDD systems!! 3 wanted sell me a DVD....

ScottyUK
09-06-2013, 10:32 AM
When I was going through this with Audi UK etc I had to return all my VCDS settings to standard before they'd consider anything. Easy enough to do and unlikely to be related but I understand why. As it turned out it made no difference and they couldn't resolve it so they paid me out. Strangely I've never had any TMC problems even from day 1 (Sept 2009).

eonbkuk
13-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Hi Guys

New to this forum only picked up my car last week 2013 SE Technik 2.0 TDie 163 how do you find out what maps you got and any idea what is the latest

and before anyone asks i have the MMI so presume it is the HDD model

lots of toys and not enough time to sort things out but really please with the car first audi

cactusgreen
27-06-2013, 05:33 PM
If you can play a dvd and have the joystick in the middle of the mmi knob, I think that's the hdd version....but I'm not 100%

ScottyUK
30-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Yep.

cactusgreen
30-06-2013, 05:59 PM
Waiting on a call from cust serv....dealer has now had my S4 for 4 days....and still no better on my maps....they can see it doesn't work..or rather gives a duff instruction....but still won't even try a map update for me grrr..........and just looked on dads new A4..with the dvd sat nav....same error there too........what did ya do to get your settlement...just be firm and keep conplaing to dealer or to Audi uk....who claimed....we've never seen this issue before!!

porty
26-07-2013, 11:03 AM
cactusgreen - did you manage to get your Sat Nav updated in the end? It's such a shame that this is not an easy thing for the dealers to do. My wife has a Renault Megane with an integrated TomTom Sat Nav and you just put the SD card into a PC and it automatically connects to the TomTom website and you can update your map, speed cameras etc very easily yourself, at a fraction of the cost of an Audi update.

cactusgreen
26-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Nope......they have had the car for 5 days so far, see the issue, audi tech are 'aware' of the problem...and today I get a call to book it in again so they god knows what!! Service chap told me he hasn't a clue what they hope to find out, they have seen the error, can reproduce it on my car, a 2011 car and a brand new 2013..so that proves its system wide yet they still mess about!! Apparently they are trying to get authorisation to do the map update....lol ya know the one I asked them to do weeks back!!!! Told them they can have it monday as long as they bring one to use.......don't need it but may as well have it and fly about in whatever they bring

eonbkuk
01-08-2013, 08:08 AM
was initially impressed with mine but when going to nottingham last weekend i went down the A46 and the new bit of the road around Lowdham which is at least 2 years old, wasn't on it. Took the car to audi on monday and they said it has the most upto date maps so waiting to see if any other roads not on there