PDA

View Full Version : Smearing wiper? common issue?

andyo33
25-05-2013, 10:49 AM
my drivers side wiper leaves a tiny smear on the return wipe down, nothing on the blade or under the blade. its almost like a 'film' of polish etc. i have washed it, used autoglym on it etc. still there. i went to vw and they told me its a known issue and cant be fixed yet, but it does dissapper eventually. they have the same issue on there demonstrator and 2 of there staff cars.

has anyone else got/had the same issue.?

ept55
25-05-2013, 11:45 AM
my drivers side wiper leaves a tiny smear on the return wipe down, nothing on the blade or under the blade. its almost like a 'film' of polish etc. i have washed it, used autoglym on it etc. still there. i went to vw and they told me its a known issue and cant be fixed yet, but it does dissapper eventually. they have the same issue on there demonstrator and 2 of there staff cars.

There,s a thread on another forum that says VW are aware of the issue and are in the process of a re-design of the drivers side wiper blade so it,s just a matter of wait and see for now.

andyo33
25-05-2013, 12:11 PM
There,s a thread on another forum that says VW are aware of the issue and are in the process of a re-design of the drivers side wiper blade so it,s just a matter of wait and see for now.

thanks, pretty much what the guy at vw said, but he didn't mention (or didn't know) of the redesign. it seems to be the area in alignment with the arm / blade attachemnt point. could you point me in the direction of the other forum, jsut so I can follow the feed?

thanks

Andy

ept55
25-05-2013, 12:34 PM
thanks, pretty much what the guy at vw said, but he didn't mention (or didn't know) of the redesign. it seems to be the area in alignment with the arm / blade attachemnt point. could you point me in the direction of the other forum, jsut so I can follow the feed?

thanks

Andy
Hi Andy it's www.golfmk7.com the thread is things that annoy about the mk7 hope it,s helpful to you.

Ceber
25-05-2013, 07:44 PM

Inoticed this in the heavy rain last saturday, i,d like to try a different blade, i think someone has fitted a bosch blade with some success!

saints7
26-05-2013, 12:30 AM
Yep - same problem

Dealer has changed blade but, if anything, it now seems slightly worse.

They told me they had not come across it before and VW did not have any knowledge of the problem. Someone's not being completely honest it seems.

They've gone back to VW and I'm waiting to hear what the fix suggestion is.

maisbitt
26-05-2013, 02:41 PM
I had the exact same issue with my Scirocco. Smear on the drivers side around the middle of the swept blade area, at the hinged knuckle. I had a few replacements done by the dealership (they will only cover you for a few thousand miles before they blame "fair wear and tear" so let them know early that they're not performing correctly), but same issue. It's the crappy Valeo wipers they fit as standard. Went to Bosch Aerotwin wipers and never looked back.

Hughmungus
27-05-2013, 01:00 AM
I have been tweeting VW and they did call me be back several times and made sure I was booked in with a dealer. They are aware of the issue but not aware of a blade design. They do however think they have a fix and VW dealers have been issued with a screen paste and a "special cloth" but she said it was the cure. I am waiting for a courtesy car so it will be a couple of weeks yet to see if it does what it says on the tin.

Gerryf
27-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Pratting about addressing symptoms isn't going to be a permanent fix......we're talking potential MOT failures so VW best get their skates on before they're forced to issue a recall.

jk88
23-08-2013, 05:27 PM
Has anyone managed to change the OEM wipers for Bosch Aerotwin ?

The reason I ask is that I ordered a set from wiperblades.co.uk with the universal fit (including push button), but low and behold they don't fit ... Seems VW now use a narrower and shallower version of this type of fitting on the Mk7. WB very helpful and sent out another set of Aerotwins with a slightly different version of the push button, but these don't fit either. Keen to solve the problem, they then sent out a set of Lucal push button fit wipers, which are narrow enough, but, you've guessed it, not shallow enough (maybe just as well as Lucas don't do too well in any test I've seen). So back to the drawing board with WB.

If anyone has managed to source some decent replacement wipers, I'd love to know what they are.

dickt
23-08-2013, 05:56 PM
I have the same problem. I do not believe that VW are designing a fix. My dealer has never heard of this problem. Everyone with the problem needs to routinely pester their dealer on a frequent basis. It is the only way to get VW to respond.

mcmaddy
23-08-2013, 11:11 PM
no point buying Bosch blades as according to etka the standard blades are made by Bosch. unless some early cars came with valeo or some other brand blades?

DW58
24-08-2013, 09:40 AM
There's a huge difference between Bosch Aero Twin blades and those fitted as standard by Volkswagen. I'd also be willing to bet that the blades fitted as standard aren't actually made by Bosch, but most likely by an overseas sub-contractor.

maisbitt
24-08-2013, 10:49 AM
Assumed Valeo were standard MK7 fitment as they've long been the OEM wipers of choice for VW. Had wiper issues on both MK5 Golfs and both Sciroccos I have owned, all of which had Valeos and all of which were resolved by Bosch Aerotwin wiper. Bosch need to pull their finger out and get an Aerotwin replacement out in the marketplace.

DW58
24-08-2013, 11:13 AM
Hear hear to that - didn't someone say they'd be with Volkswagen dealerships in September.

To be honest I'd have put AeroTwins on my forthcoming Mk.7 in any case as I did with my current Mk.6 very soon after taking delivery.

mcmaddy
24-08-2013, 10:37 PM
I'll check etka tomorrow and post up part no's for blades but they are made by Bosch.

DW58
25-08-2013, 12:40 AM
Are the part numbers for the blades which are already causing the problem going to help anything?

You say the current blades are supplied by Bosch, but that doesn't stop them smearing, as I've already suggested these could well be the product of a sub-contractor. Whether the current OEM blades are Bosch or not, they're clearly no damned good. Bosch AeroTwin blades on the other hand, are a premium product which I'll have no hesitation in fitting as I had planned to anyway.

jk88
25-08-2013, 06:50 AM
Assumed Valeo were standard MK7 fitment as they've long been the OEM wipers of choice for VW. Had wiper issues on both MK5 Golfs and both Sciroccos I have owned, all of which had Valeos and all of which were resolved by Bosch Aerotwin wiper. Bosch need to pull their finger out and get an Aerotwin replacement out in the marketplace.

I checked the Bosch website listing for AeroTwin compatibility, but I can only find a pdf for their 2011/12 application guide, which only goes as far as the Mk 6. Anyone know for sure when/if they will be available for the Mk7?

DW58
25-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Someone posted a month or so back that Bosch AeroTwins ought to be available for the Mk.7 via dealers in early September according to a correspondent on the Golf Mk.7 board.

jk88
14-09-2013, 02:26 PM
Interesting - a couple of days ago realised that the driver's side wiper on my A7 is the same size and fit as the dodgy one on the Golf. Swapped it over and it works perfectly, no smearing at all. Not sure who the OEM is for the Audi, but the blade is a slightly different design, with a slimmer profile to the blade body. So no doubt that the Golf blade is faulty, I'll pop into the dealer when I get a chance in the next week or so to claim a replacement (along with the Audi blade to demonstrate if required). If all else fails, I'll just get a replacement A7 blade for the Golf.

kevlarpantz
14-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Have posted my wiper issue on several threads but today had another fix from dealer.
Another modified blade........but it actually looks really good so far.
The obvious difference this time is a small 2" or so plastic strip under the fixing/pivot point.

hopefully that's it. Dealer have been fantastic in trying to sort this including several visits from mobile tech.

jk88
15-09-2013, 06:40 AM
Have posted my wiper issue on several threads but today had another fix from dealer.
Another modified blade........but it actually looks really good so far.
The obvious difference this time is a small 2" or so plastic strip under the fixing/pivot point.

hopefully that's it. Dealer have been fantastic in trying to sort this including several visits from mobile tech.

Can you identify and share the part number on the blade, might help speed up the process of getting a decent replacement. Which dealer was it by the way?

Thanks

Boost
24-09-2013, 09:15 PM
I have lived with the smearing issue since January and finally got sufficiently annoyed to buy these now that the weather is turning - VW GOLF VII 2012-Onwards HEYNER AEROFLAT WINDSCREEN WIPER BLADES 26"18": Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike (http://www.amazon.co.uk/2012-Onwards-HEYNER-AEROFLAT-WINDSCREEN-BLADES/dp/B00DY58ZQ4). Apparently they sort it all out, so fingers crossed. Delivery due any time soon. For me, not worth wasting time with the main <removed> me about cleaning the glass or other fob offs. Happy to give £18.99 to a company that has actually got off it's and designed some replacement wipers that are able to clear water off the windscreen.

With regards to the above "Dealer have been fantastic in trying to sort this including several visits from mobile tech." I can't see what is fantastic about having to make several visits to your dealer before the windscreen wipers on a £20k car are able to wipe water off the windscreen properly, but then again I admit to being a grumpy sod who expects to live in a perfect universe.

kevlarpantz
25-09-2013, 08:42 AM
The code on the new blades is tiny but will try and get numbers if poss.
Boost - The reason i praise the dealer is for NOT making me visit the dealership and sending out the mobile tech instead.

gary_99
07-10-2013, 12:17 AM
I have the same issue my drivers side wiper judders across windsceen and leaves a smear on the return wipe down, nothing on the blade or under the blade, been back to dealers and had new wiper fitted and wiper arm ajusted, but it still smears on return wipe, now dealer has ordered a new wiper arm and told me they will be in touch. I know a he wiper arm is not going to sort it,so i need a wiper blade that works can anyone please help or tell me where can i get a replacement for drivers side wiper blade ??

Thanks

Gary_99

gary_99
07-10-2013, 12:28 AM
Did the new windscreen wipers sort the smearing problem ? I am about to order the ones you listed in your last message..

I have the same problem with my 63 plate golf gt tdi 150 !!

Gary_99

jk88
07-10-2013, 07:04 AM
Audi A7 driver's side blade works perfectly (see my earlier post in this thread)

gary_99
07-10-2013, 11:39 PM
Has anyone managed to change the OEM wipers for Bosch Aerotwin ?

The reason I ask is that I ordered a set from wiperblades.co.uk with the universal fit (including push button), but low and behold they don't fit ... Seems VW now use a narrower and shallower version of this type of fitting on the Mk7. WB very helpful and sent out another set of Aerotwins with a slightly different version of the push button, but these don't fit either. Keen to solve the problem, they then sent out a set of Lucal push button fit wipers, which are narrow enough, but, you've guessed it, not shallow enough (maybe just as well as Lucas don't do too well in any test I've seen). So back to the drawing board with WB.

If anyone has managed to source some decent replacement wipers, I'd love to know what they are.

Firstly thanks for getting back to me so soon, with your message about getting Audi A7 blades, i went to halfords this morning and managed to get a wiper that fits, got a set couldnt get a single wiper (Halfords Set143 Drivers side Flat Blade 650mm/26" Passenger Side Flat Blade 450mm/18") £29.99. I have tried it with screen wash and its not smearing, It will get a propper test tomorrow its going to rain i will let you know if i have any problems but it looks good.

Gaz

Leeconvery
20-10-2013, 07:59 PM
Hi all, I am in the rather rare situation where I have had a 13 plate and a 63 plate mk7, the first I only had for a month before somebody decided that they would like one without paying for it. I have just received the second mk7 and can confirm that the first one was a pain in the backside for smearing right in my line of sight. The second one however has not / does not smear at all. There are a number of little things that are different to the 13 plate, mostly cosmetic / visual, and I can only assume that VW have acknowledged the wiper issue and resolved it.

ept55
20-10-2013, 09:15 PM
Hi all, I am in the rather rare situation where I have had a 13 plate and a 63 plate mk7, the first I only had for a month before somebody decided that they would like one without paying for it. I have just received the second mk7 and can confirm that the first one was a pain in the backside for smearing right in my line of sight. The second one however has not / does not smear at all. There are a number of little things that are different to the 13 plate, mostly cosmetic / visual, and I can only assume that VW have acknowledged the wiper issue and resolved it.

What do you mean by little things that are different examples please if you would be so kind, thank you.

Dave B
20-10-2013, 09:34 PM
What do you mean by little things that are different examples please if you would be so kind, thank you.No problems with smearing but I've noticed the ACC radar sensor has changed on my 63 plate

Leeconvery
21-10-2013, 09:01 AM
Nothing Major - I agree with Dave B, sensor has changed, its less like a dalek eye and more like a fingerprint scanner. Other things are very minor, a few of the icons within the mfd have been tweaked and bizarrely my MPG seems a little better, although its early days it does seem to be creeping up a little quicker than the first one. This may be more to do with the fact that I have left it in normal mode from the start, with the first one I did a lot more in Eco.

ept55
21-10-2013, 09:22 AM
OK, Guys thanks for the update.

Barb351
26-10-2013, 08:23 PM
I took delivery of a 63 reg 1.4 GT on 24/10/13. Used it today in drizzle and the drivers side wiper judders really badly at the top of its stroke. Not much of a problem smearing though. Yet to use it in heavy rain. The car has only done just over 100 miles. I will be speaking to dealer next week and let you know the outcome.

Evil Dan
24-01-2014, 10:11 PM
I got fed up with the dealer claiming there was no fault with the wipers and that VW had no service bulletins out for the fault. I've bitten the bullet and ordered the Bosch Aerotwin blades: A864S Bosch Wiper Blades (https://www.windscreenwipersdirect.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=A864S) - will let you know how I get on.

My recommendation is do not under any circumstance take your car to JCT600 in Sheffield as they were as useless and communicative as the rotting corpse of a long dead donkey.

Evil Dan
29-01-2014, 09:03 AM
I can confirm that the Bosch Aerotwin front blade set A864S solved the smearing problem for me. Shame the dealer had no interest in helping me.

maisbitt
29-01-2014, 09:32 AM
How much did you pay for your set?

At windscreenwipers direct they are £26 for the set and claim to be the cheapest prices for Bosch wipers in Europe. +£2.95 postage = £28.95. There are other places around teh same price - either 50p more or less, but with the postal differences making up the same price give or take a few pence.

Evil Dan
29-01-2014, 09:34 AM
How much did you pay for your set?

At windscreenwipers direct they are £26 for the set and claim to be the cheapest prices for Bosch wipers in Europe. +£2.95 postage = £28.95. There are other places around teh same price - either 50p more or less, but with the postal differences making up the same price give or take a few pence.

I got them from there for the price you mention - to solve the problem it was money well spent. 1st class delivery was well worth it as I ordered Friday night and they were with me by 10am Monday (Royal Mail 1st Class). Very happy with the service from Windscreen Wipers Direct.

cdgthreesalmons
02-02-2014, 02:13 PM
Took my car to the dealer (South Hereford Garages, Hereford) to have a few issues fixed - including smearing wipers.

They acknowledged there has been an issue with Golf 7 wipers smearing, especially on the drivers side - and duly replaced them both - no questions asked!

I have just been to the car - in between the showers - to make a note of the part number.

Drivers side: VW AG 5G2 955 426 CH6 R 13
Passengers: VW AG 5G2 955 425 CH6 R 13

I cant see a make in them.

Hope this helps with others when dealing with their dealers.

phil.boyes
01-02-2015, 04:30 PM

I'm having the same issue, I've had the VW "fix" of cleaning the windscreen, and have just had to buy a Bosch wiper from Halfords. Really poor performance from VW not to get a grip of this problem by now26865

phil.boyes
01-02-2015, 04:33 PM
What was the outcome of the Heyners? Bosch ones made it loads better but not totally cured it.