PDA

View Full Version : Budget tyres urgent advice needed

ChA6dders
23-05-2013, 09:26 AM
Folks
I'm going to France on Saturday evening and want to change my tyres I'm still on winter tyres. Due to cost and being skint. I'm looking at budget tyres :( I'll be fitting 225/55/16W due to the fact that they are spec'd by Audi and they are cheaper and more readily available than the 205/60's

A local place does Mazzini tyres (never heard of them) £270 fitted for 4

Anyone heard of Mazzini ?? also can folks recommend some budget tyes makes they've used cheers :biglaugh:

Guest 2
23-05-2013, 09:29 AM
I'd be more pushed towards mid-range/premium part worns to be honest if I were in your situation!

Audi tried selling me Himmer 2 Effiplus back in January for £70 a corner (255/35/19) and I swiftly declined their offer.

Have a look thru this http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?132865-nankang-fullrun-or-neither&highlight=Premium+budget

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NickPicks
23-05-2013, 09:52 AM
If money's that tight, I'd be inclined to go for a decent brand part worn rather than a Ditchfinder 5000.

I know the usual worries about part worns - you don't know the history, why was the tyre removed from the previous car etc, but if you can inspect the tyres before you have them fitted, check inside and out for any bulges, cracks, splits or perishing, check the manufacture date, then they should be fine - certainly no worse than buying a used car with 4 tyres.

Or, just keep the winter tyres on for the trip - they'll probably still perform better than el cheapo budget tyres.

ChA6dders
23-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the replies guys (I'm a poet and didn't even know it) and the suggestions. I think I'll leave the winters on for now there's not much time to shop around. The best used branded seem to be on ebay, problem there is you can't really inspect them as much as I'd like to. I've been doing a search locally and there doesn't seem to be many part worn dealers near me, those I've called say the tyres size I'm after isn't that common, unlike 205/55 for instance.
Like Sir Alan my search continues :biglaugh:

JimC64
23-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Hey Cha6dders mate.........I think we're all skint at the moment, so feel your pain....lol

As far as the tyres go, have you considered the Barum Bravuris 2???

Myself and quite a few others have switched to these recently, on 19's a set of Conti's / Bridgestones or similar run around £1200 while the Barums are around £600 or less.
I've had mine on now for around 3 months or so, front and rear with no issues, in rain / dry / snow etc and they've handled really well.
They're made by Continental in Czech Republic, so a good brand behind them too

Looking at £343 for all 4 which I know is a little more, but I'd personally recomend against buying the ditchfinder brands out there, for your safety and your family's mate.
Worst case scenario, a good set of quality part worns after thoroughly checking them could be the answer.

Four (4x) Barum BRAVURIS 2 101W XL 225/55/17 R17 Set of Tyres | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Four-4x-Barum-BRAVURIS-2-101W-XL-225-55-17-R17-Set-of-Tyres-/370739397814?pt=UK_Cars_Tyres_RL&hash=item5651ca44b6)

I know its a little bit more again than perhaps what you want to pay, but might be worth considering?

They are through National Tyres which no doubt has a branch fairly near to you and could be fitted as soon as you like I'm sure

Hope you get sorted Cha6dders

Cheers

NickPicks
23-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Just had a look, Blackcircles will do a set of Kumho tyres for you (ChA6dders) for £390.80

Yes, it's £120 more than the Mazzinis, but I've always been happy with Kumho in the wet or dry.

They'll also do credit on them, so you could have the set for £33 per month over 12 months.

gupsterg
23-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Hi Chadders :) ,

As you know mate my car had 4 different manufacturer tyres@purchase all had 6-7mm, kept the 2 best (goodyear/hankook) then got part worns of same brand/depth and paired on axles :) ... cost = less £80 for change over & rubber, done so far 14K on them ;) ...

I would not fit el cheapo vs part worn branded tyres and as NickPicks says as long as inspected inside/outside and newish DOT marking all should be good :) ...

ATB
G

ChA6dders
23-05-2013, 04:43 PM
So seems the best to go for are good quality part worns I'll do some looking then as said in prev post it's just a matter of finding them.

gupsterg
23-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Mine were from ebay tyre shops ... looked for ones with 0 repairs :) ...

Guest 2
23-05-2013, 05:18 PM
Mine were from ebay tyre shops ... looked for ones with 0 repairs :) ...

x2 - My winter tyres for the A3 I bought on eBay from a well known dealer. 6.5mm all round, Conti Winter Sport 3D all for £235 including rims!

Winter Rims/Tyres - Did I get a good deal? (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?139900-Winter-Rims-Tyres-Did-I-get-a-good-deal&highlight=winter+tyres+good+deal)

chody
23-05-2013, 09:07 PM
try asda tires tey use halfords to fit I think and good price fitted or blackcircles for a decent set of midrange tires not something thats worth scrimping on imho depends how much you value your life and your family

HAWKS
23-05-2013, 09:43 PM
Anyone heard of Sunew tyres.
I think they are a secondary Firestone brand.??
Quite Cheap..
Any new tyre must be better than a part worn with no history...

Brycie
23-05-2013, 10:05 PM

I respectfully disagree, my part worns that I usually buy are Continental rubber in Continental tread pattern which has been developed by one of the best manufacturers - most of the time with minimum 6mm tread remaining. I'd trust second hand Continentals with 4mm left to stop me quicker than a set of brand new budget tyres in an emergency. I do understand your thinking though, each to their own.

NickPicks
23-05-2013, 10:42 PM

No, No, No! A new cheapo tyre might have a far inferior tread pattern and rubber compound. A part worn Michelin or Continental with 4mm of tread will still have the same rubber compound as when it was new.

What Car did a test of a variety of premium and budget tyres. While the Sunew performed pretty well in the dry (52.2m from 70mph against 48.5m for the Michelin), in the wet, it took 82.4m to stop, against the Michelin's 59.6m. That's 22m. That's 5 car lengths!

It's a bit sensationalist in reading but here's the link

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/tyre-test-why-budget-tyres-could-kill/251766

I know this video is by Continental, so partly it's justifying why they're more expensive, but a cheap tyre (which looks identical to a Conti) was tested against theirs in a wet braking test from 70mph. When the Conti had stopped, the cheap tyre was still doing 30mph!

Tyre Safety: Premium v. Budget Tyres Wet Braking Test - Continental Car Tyres - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2c9Ry0JfMw)

zollaf
23-05-2013, 10:52 PM
fitting 4 brand new chinese tyres (chinese is a must, nothing else is as poor) is a great way to get a quick cheap thrill, especially in a quick car. just throw it into a bend as you normally would and feel the tyres break grip. even better is to fit just one to a rear wheel and go for a drive, throwing it into some bends.
if you want cheap tyres, get a known brand, nexen or something else made in korea or india. if you want a mid range tyre that will out do anything else but wear a bit quicker, get an avon for not much more than a budget. if you want cheap, get a part worn example of something good. if you want to die, get something from china.
in the last few weeks i have nearly ended up in a mess thanks to an a3 and a golf both having chinese tyres on the rear offside. its a strange feeling bouncing across the road on a bend mrs z has just gone round in our 80 with no fuss. feels like a clapped out shock. 'they don't wear out' said one customer. no thats because they don't actually grip the road and are made of plastic.

Doctle Odd
23-05-2013, 11:43 PM
Chinese Junk is more that just a boat...
fitting 4 brand new chinese tyres (chinese is a must, nothing else is as poor) is a great way to get a quick cheap thrill, especially in a quick car. just throw it into a bend as you normally would and feel the tyres break grip. even better is to fit just one to a rear wheel and go for a drive, throwing it into some bends.
if you want cheap tyres, get a known brand, nexen or something else made in korea or india. if you want a mid range tyre that will out do anything else but wear a bit quicker, get an avon for not much more than a budget. if you want cheap, get a part worn example of something good. if you want to die, get something from china.
in the last few weeks i have nearly ended up in a mess thanks to an a3 and a golf both having chinese tyres on the rear offside. its a strange feeling bouncing across the road on a bend mrs z has just gone round in our 80 with no fuss. feels like a clapped out shock. 'they don't wear out' said one customer. no thats because they don't actually grip the road and are made of plastic.

HAWKS
23-05-2013, 11:53 PM
My point wasnt to stop what your doing an go out an buy these tyres.
or
Sunew are the dogs....
My point was that part worns are exactiy that.. Part Worn..There origin is mostly unknown.normally Germany.You dont no how many kerbs or pot holes they have bounced over.you can inspect as much as you like.its not the rubber i am on about.the tyres carcas cant be check visually.
So a new tyre should be better.its not had a hard life. So before you put your wife an kids in a car i would think twice before putting part worn rubber on your car....
End of rant...lol.

Whippy53
23-05-2013, 11:59 PM
Err, on a slightly different tack, whereabouts are you going??

Doctle Odd
24-05-2013, 12:17 AM
You can buy rubber mats for your car or you can buy cheap Chinese "rubber" mats that are actually plastic and slide around, curl up at the sides and are generally useless. The tyres are no better. I buy used tyres all pressure tested and checked min 4 mm tread on them. They last a lot longer than a new plastic tyre.
or
Sunew are the dogs....
My point was that part worns are exactiy that.. Part Worn..There origin is mostly unknown.normally Germany.You dont no how many kerbs or pot holes they have bounced over.you can inspect as much as you like.its not the rubber i am on about.the tyres carcas cant be check visually.
So a new tyre should be better.its not had a hard life. So before you put your wife an kids in a car i would think twice before putting part worn rubber on your car....
End of rant...lol.

zollaf
24-05-2013, 07:36 AM
or
Sunew are the dogs....
End of rant...lol.
the same thing happens if you buy a used car. you get 4 part worn tyres that you don't know the history of, so do you go straight out and replace those michelins with 5mm tread left or run them until you can't run them anymore ?
sure part worns are a gamble, but any serious damage that will make them dangerous will normally be visible, especially when they are inflated. if they bulge or have a cut, then they are no good.

Doctle Odd
24-05-2013, 08:35 AM
An excellent well made point Sir!
the same thing happens if you buy a used car. you get 4 part worn tyres that you don't know the history of, so do you go straight out and replace those michelins with 5mm tread left or run them until you can't run them anymore ?
sure part worns are a gamble, but any serious damage that will make them dangerous will normally be visible, especially when they are inflated. if they bulge or have a cut, then they are no good.

gupsterg
24-05-2013, 09:13 AM
My point was that part worns are exactiy that.. Part Worn..There origin is mostly unknown.

I was once in a situation where a front tyre was knifed, as the remaining tyre was 4mm I opted for 2x tyres with same depth on the front and sold the old one ...

My view is yes PW tyres can be from damaged vehicles but there are instances where people are selling genuinely good tyres ...

Even my local tyre shop has PW's from when he's done swaps of 2/4 tyres on vehicles, so that's why I would go to a tyre shop ...

you can inspect as much as you like.its not the rubber i am on about.the tyres carcas cant be check visually.

RE the "belt" in the tyre ...

i) if it was damaged a tyre would be mis-shapen a simple roll test would confirm this or the tyre fitter would notice ...

ii) if we are gonna say "oh an object may have perforated the belt ..." you'd know again as a puncture repair would have been done, plenty of people drive around on puncture repaired tyres?

HAWKS
24-05-2013, 10:21 AM
Fair points made.
I would still have New tyres to Part worns myself.
But everyone has a budget,i understand that.

I didnt realise this forum had so many expert tyre fitters on here:aargh4:

zollaf
24-05-2013, 10:35 AM
at last count there were 75 qualified tyreists on here. :p

Doctle Odd
24-05-2013, 10:57 AM
The Flame Rubber & Tire company of Qingdao City will sell you a new 195/65/R15 for 25 Yankee dollars and the Roadsun Tyre company of Shandong will sell the same tyre for $20.00 apiece. There are cheaper ones available but standards must be maintained! Mmmmm

zollaf
24-05-2013, 11:49 AM
i want some diw wung ditchfinders

gupsterg
24-05-2013, 03:46 PM
I would still have New tyres to Part worns myself.

My preference is the same mate :fing02: ...

But everyone has a budget,i understand that.

This was what had made me buy PW's ...

HAWKS
24-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Are you inerested in 2xSunew 225x45x17 PART WORNS 7.99mm tread then.going cheap... :biglaugh:

zollaf
24-05-2013, 06:31 PM
how much would postage to china be please ?

gupsterg
24-05-2013, 06:41 PM
are you inerested in 2xsunew 225x45x17 part worns 7.99mm tread then.going cheap... :biglaugh:

lol! :) ...

part worn branded tyres

HAWKS
24-05-2013, 06:52 PM
Have you moved or has pembroke moved.?

Doctle Odd
24-05-2013, 07:09 PM
You can experience the effect of Chinese tyres without spending a fortune. Simply glue children's plastic wellingtons onto bald tyres, fit them to your car and drive!

HAWKS
24-05-2013, 07:21 PM
I think you have a problem with chinese people.
I bet there is a few on here.
Take care next time you order a take away meal....

Doctle Odd
24-05-2013, 07:23 PM
Chinese people are great, hardworking and friendly. Chinese industrialists/sweat shop owners on the other hand....

zollaf
24-05-2013, 08:22 PM
hmm, all this talk has made me think a chinese takeaway is the order of the evening.
one of my all time hero's is a chap called Ip man. he trained Bruce Lee in the art of wing chun, the most graceful yet deadly form of kung fu.
As doctl odd says, the chinese are a fantastic nation of people just getting into their own industrial revolution. The reason so much stuff is made there is that labour is cheap, a few pence a day which is a few pence more than working the fields paid the exploited workers. They are great at taking an object, be it a honda generator or a bmw x5 and making a copy, not quite equal enough for them to get into trouble over copyrights, but a very close copy. not a very well engineered copy but a copy nevertheless. things might be smaller due to shrinkage as hot castings cool, but never mind, that won't matter. the bearings might be a bit soft, but what the heck, it doesn't matter. the tyres that look just like michelins might be a bit on the hard side and have never been tested, but heck, we sell them for 3 US dollars each and they keep buying them so we keep making them.
one day we will all be driving chinese cars.

zollaf
25-05-2013, 09:16 AM
you just cannot beat aromatic crispy duck. :) that was lovely thanks.
up until 6 months ago, the only chinese food outlet in the area didn't do aromatic crispy duck, saying it was not a popular dish in this area. i asked if any other restaurant did it and she said since she owned them all, then no.
then, a new place opened up in a local village and they do my favourite dish.
no chip shops do savaloys either ???

Doctle Odd
25-05-2013, 09:23 AM
Saveloys have gone the same way as double diamond beer and embassy red I fear. The beer was horrible but 10 embassy was bought every morning as an apprentice
Red puddings are almost identical and are popular in Dundalk, a large town fairly close to me.

Doctle Odd
25-05-2013, 09:33 AM
Rather eclectic car owners forum what?

NickPicks
25-05-2013, 10:04 PM
no chip shops do savaloys either ???
My local chip shop in Kings Langley do savaloys. It also used to be David Seaman's local chip shop, although I just thought it was a bloke who looked like him until I asked the owner it it was.

ChA6dders
04-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Right I'll bring this thread back on track! I bought 4 Maxxis ProR 1 tyres did a bit of research & liked what I read admittedly on the Maxxis website. I'd consider them mid range spec & the company have been around for quite a while I'll now shop around for a part worn for the spare

zollaf
04-06-2013, 08:25 PM
good tyres they are.