PDA

View Full Version : Question New Alloy Wheels

atmaytum
18-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Hi,

I have not long owned a 1998 A4 1.9TDI and I am looking to change from the original Audi wheels it was built with to some slightly newer Audi alloys. This is so I can have a set for winter and summer tyres. The current tyre size is 195/65/R15 and I was wondering if I would get away with 205/55/R16? Any advice. The new ones I am currently interested in are actually from a 2005 A4.

Cheers
Arron.

Guest 2
18-05-2013, 03:44 PM
New tyre size is fine - when your speedo reads 70mph, you will be travelling at 69.71mph

Do you have a picture of the ones you're wanting to fit.

After a quick search, the PCD (5x112) and bore (57.1) are the same on the B5 v the B7.

Just choose your offset.

atmaytum
18-05-2013, 03:50 PM
These are the wheels

What exactly do you mean by offset? I have only ever changed a wheel like for like so I don't know what you mean by offset.

Cheers

fourringsrus
18-05-2013, 09:59 PM
The off set dictates how far the wheel sticks out of the wheel arch or how far under the wing the wheel will hide.
On the back face of the wheel rim, or possibly in the area around the stud holes on the front face, you will see the offset stamped in the rim, it will be referred to as ET--, for example ET45,ET25 etc, just try to get the numbers on your old rims and your new rims to be as close to each other as possible or ask in a new thread if the ET numbers are compatible.
As a rule of thumb as both cars are on standard suspension etc ,I would say they probably fit ok but please get confirmation from somebody more in the know.
Or just try them on and if they dont rub against your brakes/suspension, or stick out like carlos fandangos, job done

Stuart

dreddfan
19-05-2013, 10:41 AM
I've got the 205/55/R16 on my A4 and theyre fine, I even managed to pick up an extra alloy as a spare (luck on my part)
I run Winter (M+S) tyres on the back and swap them to the front around October for the winter months with no probs. They dont wear excessively and last just as long as the front ones.
Your new aloys look good. Hope they work out well.