PDA

View Full Version : Question Sqeaky front Suspension

PCDoctor
17-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Hi All

Should the upper suspension arms entering the strut with the pinch bolt be greased or bone dry

I Have a terrible squeaking sound from when I move the steering and when bouncing the corner of the car

Last night I removed the pinch bolt and moved the steering and bounced the corner of the car and all was fine

So removed the 2 arms and greased up the pins and re inserted and thought everything was OK until this morning

Arms are on 12 months old and felt smooth

On thinking about it why would there be a pinch bolt in the are of greased up pins ??

The other side was replaced the same time and all is fine over there

Any thoughts please

I Thinking of stripping and removing all the grease

passat 130 tdi
17-05-2013, 01:57 PM
grease would of been used to stop the long bolt seizing in , cos they do seize in .... there is a chance whoever fitted the arms tightened them up without having the weight of the car on the wheels. ????????????

PCDoctor
17-05-2013, 02:47 PM
Hi

It was me who fitted the arms and all done with weight on :) as my previous local VW garage did it all without weight and look at me blank when I try to explain why

So do you think I should strip and remove all the grease from the 2 pins and holes now and try again...

Thanks in advance

passat 130 tdi
17-05-2013, 03:56 PM
noises are hard to diagnose , im sure youd agree , just keep at it and youll find whats causing it . im surprised someone hasn't said scan for fault codes :biglaugh:

PCDoctor
17-05-2013, 04:20 PM
That made me laugh ... But I know what you mean :biglaugh:

escobar.0797
17-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Hi,have you checked the anti-roll bar bushes yet?Also the lower rear control arms bushes squeak when worn or perished especially when the weather gets warmer because the bushes dry out and start being noisy.Hope that helps!