PDA

View Full Version : A6 Heated Door mirror doesn't

audinut
29-08-2007, 11:33 AM
When I bought the car the driver's door mirror glass was missing. The dealer had it replaced before I picked it up. It looks the part - tinted with a curve built in. This morning I used the rear screen heater for the first time and the driver's door mirror didn't de-mist. Passenger one did. Also both mirrors move ok when controlled electrically.
Is the heater part of the mirror (and he fitted one without it) or is it part of the mounting ? I'd like to take it off to look but haven't approached it yet.

Sam
29-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Does the mirror adjuster switch have a central position or is just L and R?

My Passat has three positions, Left, Heated and Right and works independently of the rear screen heater.

To remove the mirror adjust it all the way to one side and carefully prise the glass out with your fingers. It could be that the new glass wasn't plugged in properly. There are two wires with two spade connectors on the end.

The glass itself has a small heater element on the back of it that has to be replaced at the same time as the glass.

audinut
29-08-2007, 12:01 PM
The mirror adjuster switch has left, centre and right positions.
I adjusted the mirror all the way to one side and tried to prise it out but it seems to be in there pretty tight. I'm concerned about breaking it or the mounting. I also have two screws underneath which I assume allows the casing to be removed. Perhaps that will allow me to see what's connected (or not). It's in an underground carpark right now and the light is awful (it also looks like I'm nicking the car ....)

Sam
29-08-2007, 12:14 PM
The centre position on my adjuster is marked as heated.

The two screws underneath the mirror allow you to remove the lower black/coloured plastic section of the mirror after you have removed the upper/back casing.

The glass is fairly tough and should (he says) just prise out. Obviously don't give it any more pressure than you feel it needs but it is quite resilient. I'm not telling you to go at it with a crowbar, and I don't want you to blame me when you break it but....!

As for looking like you're nicking it, take your balaclava off and you should be fine.

EDIT: This may or may not help you - http://www.audipages.com/upgrades/chromemirrorold.html - towards the foot of the page is a how to. The plastic thing is a little OTT, good old fingers work just as well.

audinut
29-08-2007, 12:22 PM
:p Balaclava off then....

So prising it forward and it should "pop" out ? No up/down/circular/face northwest and stand on one leg movement ?

Ahhh - great link - will try it out Thx :-)

audinut
29-08-2007, 01:54 PM
OK - managed to get it off and the two cables were tucked away in the mirror back instead of pushed onto the spades!!
Pushed 'em on and replaced the glass. Wasn't able to tell if that fixed it as it's so warm I can't feel the temperature change on the glass, but will know for sure tomorrow morning.
Top bloke mycarsavw - Thanks VERY much:beerchug:

Sam
29-08-2007, 02:01 PM
No worries buddy, glad to be of service.

They obviously replaced the broken mirror glass on a Friday ;)