PDA

View Full Version : Retrofit Bluetooth Low

cjoseph
15-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Hi there,

I'm soon to take delivery of a nearly new Q5, oct 2012 facelift model. I've seen the spec list and it doesn't have bluetooth low, which if I understand correctly means it won't have an external ariel or connection for a cradle in the armrest.

Does anyone know if these can be retrofitted?

Guest 2
15-05-2013, 06:27 PM
I though Bluetooth handsfree was standard? No?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjoseph
15-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Chris,

My understanding (but could be wrong) is that basic bluetooth is standard. However to use an external ariel and have charging cradle in the armrest you need Bluetooth Low.

The issue is that these cars tend to be very well shielded, so you may not always get a great phone signal inside, hence why you can have the low system with use of the ariel.

Guest 2
15-05-2013, 07:31 PM
What phone do you have?

iPhone doesn't support rSAP so the Low is basically a large, expensive charger.

That is of course, you have an iPhone ;)

cjoseph
15-05-2013, 07:38 PM
Thanks Chris,

I didn't know that. I have Low on my A5 and I previously used a cradle for my old iPhone 4S, I had no idea it wasn't using the ariel. I always thought I was benefiting from better signal strength and charging. Oh well.

I have the iphone 5 now, so I thought the universal cradle (which doesn't charge) could work in my new Q5. But if it doesn't use the ariel, then there's absolutely no point in getting the Low, unless I move away from iPhones, which I doubt I'll do for a while.

Guest 2
15-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Yep, it's been a long discussion on here regarding High on the A6 where you can't use the iPhone with the Live Services as it doesn't have rSAP.

The 5 doesn't have it either so be happy with your BT Handsfree for now! ;)