PDA

View Full Version : I'm back with the Golf

dcdick
15-05-2013, 04:50 PM
Last Golf was a 1.4 TSI Mk 6 that although I was happy with was getting difficult to get in & out of so I swapped it for a Qashqai that I could hop in & out of easily:(

However I now have a nice shiny new hip replacement & so could splash out on a nice new 1.6 TDI a few days ago :D

Only done a few miles so far (about 150) so very early days as they say..............

Performance is great, but mpg is worryingly low as displayed by the computer :(

Is there an issue with these models ? .................... the garage assured me that the cars they ran (2.0 150bhp diesels) were all doing "high 50's" with people seeing 70 + on long runs, the demonstrator I drove was showing 53mpg since last fill with 4k mileage

The car feels & runs great & it only took a few miles to get used to the DSG box (my first auto)

I'll have to have a look around the forum now to see what's changed in the last couple of years

dcdick
15-05-2013, 04:51 PM
Ooops...will have to change "tag" to current car :o

Guest 2
15-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Your brand new engine will still be tight so after a few hundred or thousand, it will loosen up ;)

dcdick
15-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Your brand new engine will still be tight so after a few hundred or thousand, it will loosen up ;)

Not so sure I go with that Chris.

Modern engines like this are made to very good tolerances & while there will be an improvement in things after the "running in " period I would be amazed to see a 30/35% improvement in economy :confused:

Previous Golf (1.4 TSI) showed very little improvement after say 2k & the diesel QQ I have just been running was also very similar with only a very minor improvement noticeable in mpg/performance after the first 2k miles.

I'll fill it up in a few days & do an accurate check & see what is going on.............the mpg was a significant factor in choosing the TDI & was discussed at some length at the dealers

Accepted tolerance on these "official" mpg figures is 90% I believe............ so if I'm not in the low 60's in normal driving ( "boy racer" days have long gone for me) there is something that needs to be addressed.

Hmmmmm

Gerryf
15-05-2013, 08:06 PM
Good to hear your hip replacement means you can now enjoy regular cars :) .....believe me ...you'll love the DSG mated to a frugal TDI. I'm from the school that believes your mpg will improve when everything beds in.....your returns thus far are excellent for Brighton's hilly terrain.

dcdick
15-05-2013, 10:15 PM
Good to hear your hip replacement means you can now enjoy regular cars :) .....believe me ...you'll love the DSG mated to a frugal TDI. I'm from the school that believes your mpg will improve when everything beds in.....your returns thus far are excellent for Brighton's hilly terrain.

The DSG works for me, wish I'd had this years ago. :D

Hip is good..............next up for the butchers table will be the left one, followed by the left knee. Then I will be able to walk around in straight lines without doing my Popeye impression :cool:

Current mpg is 47 over a mixture (50/50) of M.way/Dual carriageway town miles...........highest seen so far was 56 on 40 mile run the return leg of which was in heavy rain at night that dropped the overall mpg to 51.
Seems to have settled at the current figure for the time being.

I live in Co Durham Jerry (although I have been to Brighton) it's a fair old way to travel to try out the hills, don't remember posting any mileage figures. I am looking for 60 mpg in "normal" driving based on ................

90% achieved of published figures with the computer on board lying to me to the order of 5%..........................85% of 72 close enough to 60 (without bothering to work it out properly)
looking for 75 or so on a decent run ( I tend to average about 65 on M ways)

Pommyboi
17-05-2013, 04:02 PM
Why don't you start a Fuelly.com account and track your MPG for a few months so you are not relying on the onboard display for figures? You can also take account of the types of trips (town vs motorway), fuel used etc etc

I'm also of the belief that the MPG will improve as the miles add up.

dcdick
17-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Why don't you start a Fuelly.com account and track your MPG for a few months so you are not relying on the onboard display for figures? You can also take account of the types of trips (town vs motorway), fuel used etc etc

I'm also of the belief that the MPG will improve as the miles add up.

I've signed up to fuelly although it does seem a bit "over the top" however will give it a go for a while :D

I expect to get 85% of the published 72mpg & as part of that I usually take the on board display readings as 5% optimistic ........... so I should be able to see 61/62 mpg............. currently reading 47 since fuel up/ 43.6 total average & 51 for last journey with 174 miles driven.............yes I expect these figures to improve with miles & it will be interesting to see how much by

My driving style is relaxed but I'm not a "dawdler" & I have the driving mode set for eco on drive & acc with sport for steering. I also use the sport option on the button for nipping out of junctions & overtaking:drive:

How do you paste the fuelly panel in to posts please ?

Pommyboi
18-05-2013, 03:50 PM
I've signed up to fuelly although it does seem a bit "over the top" however will give it a go for a while :D

I expect to get 85% of the published 72mpg & as part of that I usually take the on board display readings as 5% optimistic ........... so I should be able to see 61/62 mpg............. currently reading 47 since fuel up/ 43.6 total average & 51 for last journey with 174 miles driven.............yes I expect these figures to improve with miles & it will be interesting to see how much by

My driving style is relaxed but I'm not a "dawdler" & I have the driving mode set for eco on drive & acc with sport for steering. I also use the sport option on the button for nipping out of junctions & overtaking:drive:

How do you paste the fuelly panel in to posts please ?

To add the fuelly panel to your Signature on this forum follow these instructions FAQ: How do I use a Fuelly forum signature/badge? | Fuelly (http://www.fuelly.com/faq/23/Fuelly-forum-signature-badge)

dcdick
22-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Fuel consumption now around 51/52 for mixed journeys best described as "light urban"

Average consumption since new (245 miles) is 47mpg

I checked the consumption against the fill up today & the trip computer is reading 2% optimistic which is close enough for me so no need to bother with "fuelly"

I'll give it until it hits 1K then see what is happening consumption wise before deciding to take any action against whoever I have to

Had my first encounter with the "regen" today, very noisy with the fan running what seemed like "flat out" strangely enough after coming back from a short motorway run (75/80mph) of 10 miles or so ??

So the fuel economy needs to be 30% better to meet claimed figures & 20% better to meet my "realistic" expectations................60mpg local...........70 cruising on Mways