PDA

View Full Version : Mk7 Golf 2.0 TDI GT broken :(

sootymk7
13-05-2013, 11:39 AM
My 3 month old Golf has been at the dealers now for 10 days due to a fault with the electronic parking brake and auto hold system. To cut a long story short, it would randomly not release when I tried to pull away. Both annoying and dangerous when at roundabouts and junctions with the risk of being rear ended. New ECU being fitted today but dealer cannot release the car until Volkswagen UK clear the error code as they told the dealer initially that there was a fire risk if the braking system locked on. Very little information being given to me unless I constantly chase. I have emailed VW UK but have had no response yet. Currently not a happy customer as no one can tell me when I am likely to get the car back :(

sootymk7
13-05-2013, 04:53 PM
Update - spoken to dealer and they are waiting for Volkswagen UK to call them once the engineers at the factory in Wolfsburg are happy to clear the error code. Until this is done my car cannot be released back to me. Volkwagen customer services also called me and will update me further on Wednesday once they have spoken to the technicians in Milton Keynes. So for now I have to just keep waiting and driving round in a Skoda Rapid replacement car which isn't quiet the same as my Golf. Who knows, I may save you all the pain if they discover an issue with the epb system.

dickt
13-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Nasty. Not a safe car! Hope you get it resolved, and that if there is a generic issue that VW own up about it.

Maybe they will own up in 4 years time. That's how long it took them to admit to injector problems in Mk 5 Golfs. Many folk paid for new ones before VW owned up to the issue.
The Rapid could be a nice car, but I guess they are too worried about cannibalising Octavia sales.

G0rdon
13-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Interesting you should highlight this as, only last week, my missus said that when she went to go out in ours, it reported something along the lines of: "Fault in parking brake" or something similar. She didn't note exactly what it said, nor has it occurred since, but will keep an eye out for it. Had the rear offside fail on a 2006 Passat but that was after 7 years with no prior warning; not quite like getting a warning after 3 months of ownership of a brand new car!

sootymk7
13-05-2013, 07:14 PM
I had the fault message flash up once when starting the car and twice when it actually failed when at a junction. The problem was initially just with auto hold but then the epb would not release after parking and had to press the brake pedal and then release the epb by pressing the switch. When this happened on a hill it was a frantic manoeuvre to then get the car in gear before rolling backwards.

sootymk7
15-05-2013, 07:00 PM
It's back home! Auto hold and epb both working fine and seem to be releasing a lot smoother than they ever did (before the fault). Car seems more responsive than before both in steering and acceleration although that may be just that I have been driving around in a 1.6 Scoda Rapid TDI for the last 2 weeks. No detailed info on what the fault was just an apology for the length of time taken to fix it from the dealer. Also received a call from VW uk asking me to call them direct if there are any further issues.

Gerryf
15-05-2013, 07:53 PM
All's well that ends well Sooty :)

dickt
16-05-2013, 02:59 PM
A slightly different issue. When I park my GT tdi 150 dsg in the garage overnight, for some reason it sometimes (but not always) turns on the elec handbrake, whether or not I have asked it to. I'm not bothered by that, as if I try to go anywhere with the handbrake on, it bings me to remind me. My old Passat with elec hold never did that, but the software appears to be quite different.
Any ideas why it might do that?