PDA

View Full Version : Question Metallic crunching sound from front left

frr8dog
11-05-2013, 05:52 PM
While driving my 2001 S8 with 84000 miles on the clock today a metallic crunching sound started from the front left. Don't believe it is a cv joint.With the wheel off I rotated the hub and drive shaft and it seems the noise is coming from where the drive shaft is connected to the gearbox. I was driving only about 30 mph at the time and as I was 1/2 mile from home I drove home very slowly. Any ideas of what it could be before I drop it off to the Audi Dealer. Only have the car 6 months!
thanks in advance for any input.

EG-4.0TDI
12-05-2013, 09:56 AM
Sincerely hoping it's a wheel bearing gone and that the noise is travelling down the drive shaft. Otherwise, you may be looking at a diff carrier bearing which may be somewhat more expensive...

Is there any play in the wheel?

EG-4.0TDI
12-05-2013, 10:00 AM
Actually, in re-reading that, it looks like I am wishing a wheel bearing failure on you! Which, is, of course, not what I meant - merely that I sincerely hope it's the cheaper/easier option to get sorted!

Best of luck and keep us posted...

JimC64
12-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Actually, in re-reading that, it looks like I am wishing a wheel bearing failure on you! Which, is, of course, not what I meant - merely that I sincerely hope it's the cheaper/easier option to get sorted!

Best of luck and keep us posted...

Everyone knew what you meant EG.......Of course, I would hope its a wheel bearing too, I'm sure it'll be much cheaper.

Fingers crossed its not overly expensive and a reasonably easy / quick fix for the OP

Please keep us updated

frr8dog
12-05-2013, 07:15 PM
Hoping it is just a bearing also, haven't had a chance to further investigate the problem but have the day off work tomorrow and intend to get a good look at it and report back. I'm just hoping it is not the transmission.

frr8dog
13-05-2013, 11:07 AM
Great news! With a visual inspection it must be the wheel bearing or the CV joint at the wheel. The CV joint is rubbing off a circular bolt head that needs a torx bit or triple square bit. This bolt has worked loose due to the turning motion of the CV joint. Now to take it apart and find out exactly what is broken.

frr8dog
13-05-2013, 12:05 PM
Better news again. Looks like it was just the hub bolt that had worked loose and was rubbing against the metal part of the outer CV joint.
As I had the hub apart the bearings look like they could do with a bit of grease so a new bolt from Audi, a new triple square socket to fit the bolt and a bit of grease and I should be back on the road:)

frr8dog
13-05-2013, 07:14 PM
My local Audi Dealer here in Portimao even gave me a replacement bolt free so happy days.
Just one question. After removing the centre bolt of the hub that keeps the drive axel attached to the hub, the outer hub came of with no resistance. Is this normal? As I have seen guides online saying you need a hub puller or separator to do this job. Is this loose hub a sign of a worn bearing? I think I may replace both front bearings soon as a precaution.