PDA

View Full Version : Non vag black box dash cams?

Dolmen
10-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Just wondering if anyone has any experience of these? We were in an accident where an ambulance hit us while we were stationary, and they never admitted anything more than 75/25 which was a joke... Having a dash cam would certainly have proven us to be completely innocent.
i don't want to spend silly money, but there is some good quality devices out there for under the 200 mark, and I think I might just be tempted to put one in the new golf when it arrives. tia

Dolmen
10-05-2013, 07:20 PM
To save folks trouble searching, here's the type of thing I'm on about...

Blackvue DR500GW-HD Car Dashcam Camera Review & Demo - YouTube (http://youtu.be/Mwjf-XEXCYo)

cheers

Guest 2
10-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Blackvue and Roadhawk I've heard good things about.

Considering getting one myself.

skinso
14-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Ive been thinking about these myself but unsure of which 1, I read today that the suction type is illegal in the uk

Allmac
02-06-2013, 12:30 AM
Blackvue and Roadhawk I've heard good things about.

Considering getting one myself. I've bought a Roadhawk camera about two years ago which I fitted on my Volvo XC60. It came with a mount and I stuck it on the screen (with the 3M sticky pad provided) near the 'Citysafe' sensor and I intend to place it in similar location when my Golf GT arrives in Sept. Quality isn't HD and could be better but adequate to record most incidents. Recording is directly onto a SD card which overwrites when full. Software provided shows footage plus position of car on Google Earth map (camera records geographical location via built-in satellite positioning). Also shown is speed of vehicle and intensity of any abnormal events other features are also included so it's quite useful. I'd recommend it but there may be better or similar cameras now available at a lower price. The main reason I use the camera is that much of my driving is done in country lanes and I've had many near misses with idiots coming the other way on my side of the road. At least with the camera you can challenge a claim when it was the other driver's fault...and if you point out to them you have a camera fitted they might be less inclined to make a fraudulent statement in the first place (although the police could always seize the evidence and use it against you.....not a problem for me of course :naughty: )

Gizmo68
02-06-2013, 03:49 PM
I have had my Blackvue fitted for over a year now, it is out of sight when in the car (behind the mirror) and gives an amazing picture quality… even at night, well worth it IMO.

Guest 2
02-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Any pics of the camera location and any videos? :)

Gizmo68
02-06-2013, 03:57 PM
I don’t think I have a photo of it fitted to the car Chris, but here is a clip at night when the car went in for some warranty work to be done (the fitter was driving the car… not impressed with his actions TBH)

http://youtu.be/A3beyfzCRDw

Guest 2
02-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Shocking!!

Did you show that to your dealer?

Gizmo68
02-06-2013, 04:06 PM
Oh yes, words were said.
As for not having a photo… well thats not really acceptable so here you go:

Guest 2
02-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Very neat indeed.

I take it it's hardwired? Feel free to PM me details as it's something I'm interested in getting.

maisbitt
02-06-2013, 05:09 PM
Very effective piece of kit on the move. Would it record when parked up in case someone clatters you in a supermarket car park? I'm sure that driver would've been speeding too if that Peugeot 107 hadn't been strictly following the speed limit.

Gizmo68
02-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Yes I have it hard wired (sort of).

I added an additional cigarette lighter socket to the fusebox (I used a ‘fuse tap’ to supply the power feed to the socket) then ran the power cable behind the roof lining and down the A panel trim to the fusebox.

I used an ignition fed live as I did not want it to be recording permanently (the Blackvue has the option to go into a parking mode which IIRC records when it detects movement), but it could just as easily of been powered by a permanent live feed.