PDA

View Full Version : Does this seem a good deal?

mongoose88
08-05-2013, 01:39 PM
Hi, new to the Forum and seriously considering getting an A6 Avant S-Line.

I'm getting offered the following from a dealer:

A6 Avant S Line in Silver
62 plate registered October 2012
Done 5000 miles
Manual transmission

for

£24,400.00

Reasonable deal?

Whippy53
08-05-2013, 01:59 PM
It's six months old and ten grand off, seems like a plan to me! Any extras? See if you can squeeze him for a free service or free gap insurance, try to get him to sweeten the deal.

mongoose88
08-05-2013, 02:04 PM
It's six months old and ten grand off, seems like a plan to me! Any extras? See if you can squeeze him for a free service or free gap insurance, try to get him to sweeten the deal.

Cheers, I will do.

Forgot to say its a 2.0 diesel.

boof
08-05-2013, 03:06 PM
Seems reasonable. That was the sticker price for mine (1 year old, 20k miles) from the audi approved scheme. I got a little bit off in addition and, the one thing you've not mentioned, is mine also had a few extra options ticked which were most welcome / I'm sure bumped up the price.

In summary - looks ok but also ensure it has any options you want on it.

mongoose88
08-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Seems reasonable. That was the sticker price for mine (1 year old, 20k miles) from the audi approved scheme. I got a little bit off in addition and, the one thing you've not mentioned, is mine also had a few extra options ticked which were most welcome / I'm sure bumped up the price.

In summary - looks ok but also ensure it has any options you want on it.

Thanks boof.

From what i can gather it has all the s-line spec stuff on it, which is fine with me, but i will clarify all of this when i speak to them tomorrow.

boof
08-05-2013, 04:08 PM
Sure - the s-line spec is generous (and one of the things that got me into an A6 instead of a 5 series. Much easier to find one with all the boxes ticked I wanted) but there are many more options on top of it. So if you have any in mind..

If s-line by itself is enough then see if you can squeeze them a bit more on price or extra chucked in but it looks good!

Good luck, let us all know how you get on.

mongoose88
08-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Cheers again boof.

What's the s-line suspension like? Heard a few reports that its a bit firm, but i would prefer that to a soft suspension which i believe you get with the SE.

I think this car is coming with the standard 18" s-line alloys as opposed to the 20" monsters.

retired99
08-05-2013, 04:39 PM
Via 'Drivethedeal' you can get a new one for about £27k. So about £2.5k off for a 7 month old car.

If it's got a big spec that might make it look more attractive and you might be able to negotiate a few quid off the asking price.

boof
08-05-2013, 04:43 PM
I haven't driven an SE so I can't comment specifically on the differences there.

I also find the firmness quite relative / personal. I've had far firmer cars which didn't bother me.

Anecdotally my last car was a 1 series m-sport with 17" wheels and run flats. I found that fine (despite many people telling me it must be horrendous / spine breaking) but then I've driven far firmer!

The A6 with the 18's and the S-Line suspension rides better than the 1 series did on the summer run flats it had or the winter 'normal' tyres and I have no complaints at all. I believe the current ranges S-Line setup is 'softer' than the previous generations but that's not based on personal experience.

Not as good as my M5 though! Go figure.

boof
08-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Via 'Drivethedeal' you can get a new one for about £27k. So about £2.5k off for a 7 month old car.

If it's got a big spec that might make it look more attractive and you might be able to negotiate a few quid off the asking price.

Yes this was tempting when I picked mine up - but ultimately you have a factory lead time. So it's notionally 2.5k off and having it now rather than in 6 or so months.

mongoose88
08-05-2013, 04:53 PM
I haven't driven an SE so I can't comment specifically on the differences there.

I also find the firmness quite relative / personal. I've had far firmer cars which didn't bother me.

Anecdotally my last car was a 1 series m-sport with 17" wheels and run flats. I found that fine (despite many people telling me it must be horrendous / spine breaking) but then I've driven far firmer!

The A6 with the 18's and the S-Line suspension rides better than the 1 series did on the summer run flats it had or the winter 'normal' tyres and I have no complaints at all. I believe the current ranges S-Line setup is 'softer' than the previous generations but that's not based on personal experience.

Not as good as my M5 though! Go figure.

I've had both extremes in the last few years. I used to have a Honda Accord which was so soft it was like driving a couch, and currently have a Mondeo titanium x sport which is pretty firm and can be a bit of a boneshaker on rough surfaces. So I'm used to a firm suspension.

retired99
08-05-2013, 05:25 PM
Yes this was tempting when I picked mine up - but ultimately you have a factory lead time. So it's notionally 2.5k off and having it now rather than in 6 or so months.

Not necessarily so. DTD cars will often, but not always, be sourced from dealers who have unsold stock either in the form of a physical car or an order they have placed that has no buyer as yet. These latter orders can be in an amendable state if there is about a month or more to go to build date or un-amendable if within about a month of build.

The thing to do is spec up a car on DTD, and maybe others such as Orange Cars, and find out how soon you can get one. Nothing to lose by finding out.

boof
08-05-2013, 06:46 PM
Not necessarily so. DTD cars will often, but not always, be sourced from dealers who have unsold stock either in the form of a physical car or an order they have placed that has no buyer as yet. These latter orders can be in an amendable state if there is about a month or more to go to build date or un-amendable if within about a month of build.

The thing to do is spec up a car on DTD, and maybe others such as Orange Cars, and find out how soon you can get one. Nothing to lose by finding out.

That's interesting and useful to know - thanks!

It will make next time round a very different prospect..

ukgroucho
08-05-2013, 09:18 PM
hmm and a new car has not been "carefully run in by 15 interested parties"

If you plan to keep a vehicle for some time and you cannot find a vehicle with a known history then used is buyer beware. Yes 5k is low mileage but in reality a lot of the 'long term' damage (demand for oil etc.) can occur in those first 5k miles (someone who does not care, rags it from new and lets all his mates have a go). Demonstrators are in the same league in my mind.. OK if you plan to move on quickly but a gamble if you intend to keep for 3+ years.

Do you know if it is an ex demo.. if not, why did someone chop it in so soon?

Personally.. for a £2.5k difference .. I'd buy new.

The only monkey in the wheel is whether this one is loaded with other toys

mongoose88
08-05-2013, 09:47 PM
hmm and a new car has not been "carefully run in by 15 interested parties"

If you plan to keep a vehicle for some time and you cannot find a vehicle with a known history then used is buyer beware. Yes 5k is low mileage but in reality a lot of the 'long term' damage (demand for oil etc.) can occur in those first 5k miles (someone who does not care, rags it from new and lets all his mates have a go). Demonstrators are in the same league in my mind.. OK if you plan to move on quickly but a gamble if you intend to keep for 3+ years.

Do you know if it is an ex demo.. if not, why did someone chop it in so soon?

Personally.. for a £2.5k difference .. I'd buy new.

The only monkey in the wheel is whether this one is loaded with other toys

It might be an ex-demo. Will check.

I actually know the guy who works in the dealer, hence he is doing me a "deal" on this car.

fernar
09-05-2013, 08:26 AM
I have a S-line Avant on 18" wheels and find the ride ok.... although I had a lift in a 5 series with VDC (Variable Damper Control) on 17" wheels and thought the ride in the BMW was better... at the end of the day all cars have positives and negatives - I think the overall package that the A6 offers is very good (hence why I went with a A6 rather than a BMW 5)

Whippy53
09-05-2013, 09:31 AM
I'm driving a s line on 18's at the weekend and I'm a fussy old bear about my ride, I'll let you know.

mongoose88
10-05-2013, 05:22 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys.

Took the plunge today. Didn't get anything off the A6 price but did managed to get a few hundred quid onto my part-ex.

Should be getting the car next weekend. Can't wait!

boof
11-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys.

Took the plunge today. Didn't get anything off the A6 price but did managed to get a few hundred quid onto my part-ex.

Should be getting the car next weekend. Can't wait!

Well done! You found the ride ok then?

Whippy53
11-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Just back from test drive in an s line and the rides fine!