PDA

View Full Version : Passenger Window Switch

mrb333
07-05-2013, 11:08 AM
I learnt yesterday that if you take your eyes off a 4 year old for about 5 seconds then that's more than enough time for him to push an electric window switch through the plastic surround and into the door cavity whilst your car is sitting on the drive with the door open!!

The door in question is the front passenger side on my 2004 Highline Estate.

Can I release the plastic switch surround from the door card to relocate the switch (it seems fairly solidly attached) or do I need to remove the entire door card?

If I do need to remove the door card then any guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

OddBallBoy
07-05-2013, 01:59 PM
The door card is very easy to take off, if you have the right tools. Pop the cover off the grab handle (carefully so as not to scratch) using a screwdriver and you'll see two Phillips screws to remove.

Then look on the bottom edge of the door card and you'll see two torx screws - if you haven't got the right torx bit, you might find a small flat screw driver that will be tight enough to do the job.

Starting from the bottom edge, carefully pull the door card away from the door and the clips should all just pop out, then work your way round the card doing the same.

The card will then lift up giving you access to the back of the switch unit but you'll probably have reach down the back and unclip the latch cable and a few wires.

I think I'd try this rather than trying to get the switch assembly out as looking on mine, I think you could easily damage it getting it out.

mrb333
07-05-2013, 04:43 PM
Cheers OddBallBoy, if it's that straightforward I'll probably just take the whole door card off as you suggest.

passat 130 tdi
07-05-2013, 04:48 PM
theres 3 brass coloured screws and 2 torx screws to take out ... you will need to unhook the door latch cable , unplug the wires for the petrol flap and tailgate release switches, speaker wires and door light wires , tweeter wires and the mirror wires. its all easy really ... even easier for you with it being the passenger side ..

OddBallBoy
09-05-2013, 11:08 AM
I read it as meaning the passenger door (in which case my previous post still stands) but if it is the switch unit on the drivers door, you probably won't need to take the whole door card off after all - just pop the back off the grab handle (from underneath) then the whole switch unit will pull out.
That's assuming its the same as my B5, which I think it is.

mrb333
10-05-2013, 10:55 AM
Passenger door indeed, so your original advice stands. I'll probably try and sort it this weekend if the weather holds. Thanks again.