PDA

View Full Version : Question Sporadic Engine Fault Lights - but car still runs fine.

DresdenDiesel
06-05-2013, 08:21 AM
My 2007 Phaeton 3.0 V6 diesel recently flashed up a warning in the central display "Engine Fault - Workshop". This was accompanied by an audible "pinging" warning sound. Main dealer cleared the fault code from the car's computer, which they said related to an intake manifold "runner" but the warning came back again a week or so later.

Warning then moved on to a solid amber engine light in the rev counter, sometimes with a flashing amber glowplug light, and sometimes not. Main dealer read fault codes again, and says car needs a new flap motor and DPF sensor @ around £1,100.

The warning lights have since extinguished themselves completely!

I would welcome any thoughts and advice on what might cause this condition, whether any harm is likely to result if I just put up with the warning lights if they come back on, and is there a simpler cure than the major component replacement suggested by VW dealer. Mileage is around 52,000.

The puzzling thing is the has car driven perfectly throughout, and fuel consumption is steady at around 33mpg.

kite
06-05-2013, 08:27 AM
Manifold runner fault is common on the 3.0.
The fault is normally the linkage.
There is a repair kit available.
Search on here for "intake manifold runner".

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

DresdenDiesel
06-05-2013, 10:50 PM
Thanks for that. Although I'm unlikely to go the DIY route on this, it's really useful to build some understanding of how these things work to have an informed conversation with the garage I choose to deal with it.

Piddles
07-05-2013, 09:36 AM
I know you said you were unlikely to go the DIY route, but FYI it looks like the motor and manifold comes as one unit: VW Phaeton Inlet manifold (http://www.vwgenuineparts.co.uk/parts/vw_phaeton_intake_manifold.shtml).

Also, have you done any long runs recently (for the other error message)? VW DPF Regeneration (http://www.vwgenuineparts.co.uk/DPF_regeneration.shtml)

DresdenDiesel
07-05-2013, 10:27 PM
Thanks. Car is in daily use - 50 miles a day round trip minimum, mainly rural up to 60 mph, occasional Motorway and dual carriageway to 70 mph. DPF light (with the dotted pattern in the link) has NEVER lit up. VW dealer said from reading fault codes to replace the DPF sensor and one flap motor with manifold. I'm unconvinced that the car has any significant mechanical malfunction as it drives so well, but something is occasionally upsetting the cars's computer to flash up these warning lights. Started seven times today (in very warm weather) and covered 85 miles in total, with no engine warning light or glowplug light flashing at all. Does anyone else have any success from replacing the mechanical linkage alone as suggested by "kite" above?

kite
08-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Have a look in the audi A6 section for comments on the linkage kit.

bloody interweb phone.

we44
11-02-2016, 02:19 PM
Mine has similar problem. The fault light has come on twice in past 6 months. First time the engine went into "safe mode" and I limped home at 25-30mph unable to go any faster. Called AA and they tested and couldn't find any problems. Happened again last week. Turned engine off and on again and fault disappeared ... again. Car runs fine and no issues with acceleration, braking etc. I am concerned it may re-occur or whether I need to get it checked out again if it happens whilst in the vicinity of a VW dealership.

we44
07-04-2016, 03:27 PM
Update: Still happening randomly. About 7/8 times in total now. Been back to VW dealership twice but they are saying that no faults have been logged? They've done an engine regen twice now too.