PDA

View Full Version : A8 Armrest Phone Advice

tangerineshep
01-05-2013, 08:59 PM
My A8 has the pop out Nokia holster in the front armrest but has no phone in it.

2 Questions:

It doesn't seem to plug in anywhere - just pops out of the bottom of the armrest and is sat there - does anyone know where this should go?

Can this be adjusted to work with a modern phone as I don't fancy the Dom Joly model :biglaugh:

Thanks in advance

Guest 2
01-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Try pressing TEL on the MMI.

If it left you search for a phone then all the better ;)

tangerineshep
03-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the reply Chris; I don't have an MMI though!!! lol

Would this be something I could retrofit though; would really like a bluetooth or handsfree option in the bus as it would really finish it off.

Any/all advice appreciated.

Guest 2
03-05-2013, 08:50 PM
Does it have NAV or just a radio?

Micha_elD
03-05-2013, 09:04 PM
Would help if you gave us a clue what car you have.

There are three very different models of A8, if yoiu don't have MMI then you must have a D2?

Guest 2
03-05-2013, 09:08 PM
Thats what I was thinking.

It's a D2 without nav, just radio

Hello everyone (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?145411-Hello-everyone&p=807309#post807309)

tangerineshep
04-05-2013, 04:12 PM
Yes, sorry about that, it is a D2 with symphony head unit so no nav I'm afraid.

Don't suppose I can perform this sort of upgrade then no?

Thanks

27litres
15-07-2013, 08:01 AM
There's a couple of options, but neither use the existing phone cradle:

- XCarlink / Yatour / Grom are little MP3 USB media boxes which have looms specific to Audi and plug into the CD changer port on the back of your existing radio.
The three mentioned here have an adapter loom which enables retention of your existing external CD changer.
They also have Bluetooth adapters, with A2DP music streaming, and included Mic's (recommended to not use factory installed hidden Mic) as options (not very expensive).
They have a choice of Auxiliary or iPod-specific models.
Phone calls must be answered in CD changer mode on the radio.
A few blokes will swear by Dension Gateway. I don't, as all Dension models I've encountered do not allow retention of external CD changer.

- Fiscon Basic and Basic Plus may work (but they never state compatability with A8's and upon asking will say no - I reckon it'll work though, as it's compatible with Symphony and Concert radios and the NavPlus units, and the CanBus).
If they do work, they offer the most integrated way to install Bluetooth phone capability, incorporating DIS and existing car telephone buttons (if installed)
A little bit expensive (nearly double the price) compared to the Media boxes above, and you don't get an MP3 player or USB/Aux/iPod connectivity.
You do get A2DP music streaming via bluetooth though.

Hope this helps