PDA

View Full Version : Premature DMF Failure - Should I stick with Audi

ees3dc
30-04-2013, 09:00 PM
I have an A4 B8 170 TDI. After 18 months and 16K miles of very careful driving (not riding the clutch, not resting foot on clutch, no hard accelerations) I started to notice a judder pulling away. I even press the clutch in when turning the engine off. The time of day I drive (0500) there is no traffic on the road so I don't crawl in traffic jams.

DMF and clutch failures are all over the internet and a known issue on Audis. I won't harp on about them. Its currently being replaced under warranty by Audi.

I have now lost my faith in Audi and thinking of moving to a Mercedes C Class auto (no DMF I think and MB seem to have way less transmission faults). Thing is I really love the Audi interiors.

Am I right to be contemplate moving?

zollaf
30-04-2013, 09:18 PM
no, stick with the audi.

Dieseldoos
30-04-2013, 09:36 PM
All car makes have there issues. +1 for sticking with the Audi.

fat controller
30-04-2013, 09:37 PM
MB have their own problems, just as any manufacturer does. I had my clutch and DMF replaced a couple of months ago now, and it transformed the car - and despite the initial disappointment and hassle caused by it failing, it has not put me off the A4 one bit.

in fact, I am pretty sure that I read somewhere that the replacement parts being fitted are modified/improved, so if that is the case, hopefully you/we will see no future recurrences at least until we have put a substantial chunk of miles under our wheels :)

zollaf
30-04-2013, 09:39 PM
i would rather push my audi than drive a mercedes.

Dieseldoos
30-04-2013, 09:42 PM
I quite like the brand new SL65AMG though! :biglaugh:

ees3dc
30-04-2013, 09:45 PM
DMFs are a known weak point (regardless of manufacturer) my thinking is to simply avoid them by going the auto route (out of the frying pan into the fire perhaps....) Audi S-Tronic with DSG uses a DMF so thats no good. No sure I want multitronic either.

I'm not sure that the replacement parts are any better. I hear that there are only 2 manufacturers of DMFs (LUK and Sachs)?

Whats mystified me is that I'm a really timid driver (I'm the politest Audi on the road I like to think). Maybe I'm driving too slow :)

zollaf
30-04-2013, 09:48 PM
solid conversion. solids have been used for a few years with no problems. my 80 has one in fact and thats not undriveable because of it.
i am sure luk and sachs are doing very well out of it though, i wish them all the best luck in the world.

ees3dc
28-07-2013, 09:50 PM
So, 2 months in on the new DMF and clutch. When changed it was immediately noticable. A few days ago the car had 4 passengers and a boot full of luggage. I swear that when stop-starting on the M25 I felt the lightest judder. I'm not really paranoid about gear changes and don't engine brake anymore. Despite having the car for 2 years I still cannot get what I consider an optimum pull away from 1st. I'm using more revs now (my thinking is that there is less torque) but think i am releasing clutch for too long. If I release too soon I get a horrible engine dip (presusmably doing the DMF no good at all). I heard that the 170PS was remapped at low revs to avoid DMF wear. I LOVE everything else with the car but hate the manual transmission / rubbish pull away.

I am seriously considering changing the car. I want to avoid manuals but an S-Tronic also has a DMF (at least wear cannot be driver error). I am very seriously thinking about a Mercedes C Class auto (and that does not have a DMF). Problem is that the interior is so DULL compared to the Audi - not sure I could live with it knowing I had an A4 interior. (My A4 is black and I now regret being a cheap skate and a. not getting S-Line, b. not getting grey/silver).

Perhaps I'd be changing one known problem for another - though Mercedes comes consideraably higher than Audi in terms of overall reliability (how many Audi taxis do you see).

I'd be a bit miffed at selling the car after 2 year - but I just don't know what to do..........

Comments anyone

Brycie
28-07-2013, 10:20 PM
A remap would help with the first gear getaway & may help you get back to more natural gear changes.

The Polisher
28-07-2013, 11:50 PM
I had the clutch and DMF replaced under warranty on my A4 at about 18k, I then ran it up to 139k in 3 years never having an issue again. Loved my Audi, but moved to Mercedes and now have a new E Class Estate.

I adore my Mercedes, but for different reasons than I loved the Audi. The Audi was a true drivers car, but in terms of comfort, space and ride quality the Mercedes wins everytime. Reliability, well I'm only at 14k on the Merc but so far so good. Dealer support is excellent but then so was Audi.

Depends what you need, but I would NOT touch a C class. Cramped, small and overpriced.

drrich
05-10-2013, 01:38 PM
I have had bad experiences with Vw audi group clutches / DMF. Total clutch failure at 14K on a 1.8T 2004 A4 avant, DMF failure at 8K on a 2007 A4 TDI S-line avant and DMF faulty from new on 2009 A6 TDI SE. Loved the quality of the cars otherwise and my wife unkeen on BMW or Merc so kept with them. Now run a 2012 Tiguan - no problems so far at 14K miles but my 62 plate golf TDI 1.6 cab has developed the symptoms so like you am debating whether to stick with the brand or look elsewhere. Problem is it seems to be a common fault across lots of manufacturers. As I do a low mileage am considering going petrol as there seems to be much less of a problem with the petrol models. Also turning my stop start off to reduce wear, my work commute causes it to kick in 8-10 times over a 4 mile journey . I still do plenty of medium journeys though.

Selling prematurely will always cost more then the cost of an out of warranty DMF repair. I would look at balancing what you like about Audi against this problem. They still have a lovely feel of solidity to them which i like.