PDA

View Full Version : DIY Wheel repair - paint crinkling

WesleyP
30-04-2013, 08:53 AM
Hello. I have been repainting the wheels on my Allroad using a Wurth paint kit, comprising a metal primer, metallic paint and lacquer top coat. Generally the results are very good! But when prepping the wheels I've repaired one or two scuff marks with Isopon and rubbing down before masking and spraying. I think it is these areas where the paint has crinkled a little bit..and no matter how much I rub down and repaint..it happens again, which slightly spoils the finish (but you do have to look hard to notice). Is there a different primer that I should use over filler repairs? Thanks.

JimC64
30-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Hi Wesley, I also have done a few sets of alloys using Wurth paint and its top notch stuff to be honest.

I'd hazard a guess its more likely to be your filler material thats causing the problem, but other than that I'm guessing they look like new?

Post a pic or two once you're done and show them off a little.

WesleyP
01-05-2013, 08:37 AM
Got one more to do..hopefully this weekend. Wondering how to prime any isopon repairs to a scuff mark though before I apply the Wurth metal primer..

WesleyP
05-05-2013, 05:55 PM
I think any crinkling in the paint may be more down to insufficient rubbing down and preparation of the wheel before priming. The last wheel I did had a bad scuff mark on the edge of the rim, and some severe corrosion around the calve, all of which was cleaned up and filled with Iospon before painting. But I got a little bit of crinkling elsewhere. These look like touch up jobs for later in the summer, but here is a complete wheel: (not bad I suppose for about £10 of paint and a couple of hours work, but it is a very satisfying job to complete if you like these sort of jobs)