PDA

View Full Version : Heated screen

mcmaddy
27-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Is anyone thinking of or has already ordered the new heated front screen?

Norbreck21a
27-04-2013, 09:57 PM
There a discussion over on the MK7 GTI forum, and it would seem in the UK that the climate windscreen can only be ordered with the premium phone package, which makes the whole thing very expensive.

the was confirmed this week by a conversation I had with VW customer services who said it was because the film in the climate windscreen blocked some of the phone signal, and the premium phone package overcame this by using a transducer which connects the phone to the cars aerial.

if you could get it on its own, I would add it to the GTD I've just ordered.

mcmaddy
27-04-2013, 10:28 PM
You would get the wlan option by the look of it if you connect your phone to the roof mounted aerial. I do think though that just because VW put the windscreen in we shouldn't be expected to pay extra for the other problem they create because of it. ie the phone signal

h5djr
28-04-2013, 05:57 AM
There a discussion over on the MK7 GTI forum, and it would seem in the UK that the climate windscreen can only be ordered with the premium phone package, which makes the whole thing very expensive.

the was confirmed this week by a conversation I had with VW customer services who said it was because the film in the climate windscreen blocked some of the phone signal, and the premium phone package overcame this by using a transducer which connects the phone to the cars aerial.

if you could get it on its own, I would add it to the GTD I've just ordered.

Pehaps all the windows should be covered in this film. It might stop some people using the phone when they are driving.

icebun
28-04-2013, 09:01 AM
If we are talking about heated windscreens, I wonder how this works in Ford vehicles that have such options.

mcmaddy
28-04-2013, 09:11 AM
totally different in Ford's. they use thin wire in the windscreen whereas VW are using a fully laminated heated screen (I think) so you won't see any wires at all.

Gerbil
11-06-2013, 01:11 PM
If anyone did order the heated windscreen I've just been informed by VW that it now won't be available until build week 45 w\c 11/11/2013 which is a complete joke since they previously told me it was available from May and happily took my order on that basis.

ho hum:(

dr77
13-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Gerbil, thanks for the heads-up on this one. I also ordered the screen having modified my original order to include it. The car has been on order for 6 weeks now and no build date showing on the tracker, I was anticipating 12 to 16 total.

My dealer has made some enquiries with VW The Powers That Be and has confirmed the week 45 build for the heated screen option; have now cancelled the screen and advanced phone and now week 35.

I agree that VW should not put options in the price list that they cannot deliver for 8 months. This has probably cost me 2 to 3 weeks extra on the build date.

Ho Hum indeed!

Gerbil
13-06-2013, 09:15 PM
Glad it was some help. It's my wife's car and she wants the heated screen so she has decided to swallow the delay. I don't blame the dealer. In this case it seems to be communication problems between VW head office and VW UK. I had an enquiry open with VW UK customer services regarding when the heated windscreen would be available to order. They told me it was available to order on 22 April so I duly ordered the car. Now they tell the dealer it's not available until November. Just plain stupid that these kind of communication difficulties between VW Germany and VW UK ever make it as far as the customer.

Gourockian
02-07-2013, 08:13 PM
I note that a price list has come out for the estate dated from today. It is listing the heated screen as being available but only for diesels. No change yet to the hatch price list, still 01/05.

dr77
02-07-2013, 11:43 PM
I note that a price list has come out for the estate dated from today. It is listing the heated screen as being available but only for diesels. No change yet to the hatch price list, still 01/05.

Interesting; my original (and accepted) order with the heated screen was on a GT 1.4 ACT Petrol. :confused:

I wonder if it was ever valid and would have been built in week 45 if I hadn't cancelled the screen? Now showing as build week confirmed in the tracker for over a week so looking like September if all goes to plan ......

Will be interested to see what is in the next hatch price list when it is published regarding the valid screen options.

Gourockian
05-11-2013, 01:46 PM
New Price Lists out, dated 04/11/13. Hatch still shows no restrictions, Estate still shows not availalble on Petrol. Anyone know the true story ? I would prefer a petrol, but as a Ford owner just now, believe me, lack of Heated Screen is a deal stopper.

Gerbil
05-11-2013, 02:36 PM
VW issued service bulletin VW0735-13 on 15 October stating that the heated screen wouldn't be available on 1.4 litre Golfs until week 22, 2014.

The reason I know is because the dealer forwarded it on and I cancelled my 1.4 GT order in disgust (with VW not with the dealer). Apparently diesel models are unaffected so he did offer me the option of switching my order to a 2.0 TDI and having the heated screen. After all the MPG/DPF issues in the thread on here though I had no hesitation in declining the suggestion.

So not a great showing by VW. I only placed an order as I'd been personally assured by VW Customer Service UK back in April that the heated windscreen was available to order on Golfs. Sorry for the bad news I suggest you hang on to your Ford a little longer, that's what I'm doing.

Gourockian
05-11-2013, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the update. I Wonder just what the problem is ? It's the same on the Octavia. I'd have thought the diesel would have less need as they have the PTC heater, well I hope they do. Hopefully someone will come clean and tell us the real root cause issue.