PDA

View Full Version : Touran buying advice please

audicab26
27-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Hi,

A friend of ours has asked me to help her find a VW Touran. Her only criteria is 7 seats, diesel & manual.

She will use it for her child minding business so it will be a work horse. She's not famed for car care so I have suggested a light low maintenance colour (such as silver). Budget is £7000 to £8000.

Apart from the obvious things to look out for when buying used, is there anything we should be wary of/avoid.

She is no petrol head so won't care whether it's a 1.9 or 2.0, it will plod around country lanes mostly getting muddy and carrying trim destroying kids. Is the 1.9 a better bet for running costs or durability?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

touran05
01-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Get a1.9 tdi now on my second , check the abs pump , dual mass flywheel , thats what cuased problems on my last ran

andwat
01-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Agree with previous...I've a 2005 1.9 TDI and with only 70k and had new ABS pump, clutch and flywheel, fuel pump and glow plug control module. 2.0 TDIs are more powerful but I understand they arent quite as reliable as 1.9 as injectors can give lots of trouble. Look for good service history, it's paramount they're serviced every 10,000 miles and timing belt should be done around 60k. Listen for flywheel rattle, just let the car idle and listen for obvious rattle then give it good drive and be aware of any judder or high biting point on clutch - signs your flywheel has had it. Otherwise, brilliant car, don't let these issues put you off as all car manufactuers suffer with DMF issue - hope you find a good one and enjoy it!!

touran05
01-05-2013, 06:44 PM
Also check the cruise control works the switch on the stalk fails ,