PDA

View Full Version : special edition 2.0 tdi 170 remap remove dpf?

170specialeddy
26-04-2013, 07:57 AM
im am going to bit the bullet and remap my car just wondering if i shouls remove the dpf first been quoted at 600 to remove dpf and remap with rolling road before and after doe that sound about right?

Aleung2
08-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Sounds about right but I hear that soon the MOT will require the DPF so its the same as removing the CAT on a petrol. Good for performance but you'll need to put one back in come MOT time.

ExpertTuning
18-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Hi 170specialeddy

Besides remapping, we also do DPF removals. However, in my opinion, DPF removal should be a last resort when it is absolutely sure the DPF needs replacing, and you have no other options available to you. When I get calls asking if the DPF should be removed I'd always advise a good motorway trip at 2,500 - 3,000 revs under load to see if you can get a regen going to clear the problem, or a trip to your local VAGcom equipped mechanic to see if they can induce a static regen that will clear the DPF. Sadly, by the time most people get to this stage, the DPF is irretrievably blocked and the regen or static regen may last only a week or two. It is always worth trying though, as may be the services of a proper DPF cleaning cleaning company though I hear they often don't last either.

What I would never advise is the removal of a perfectly good DPF from a vehicle that is doing the right kind of driving, i.e. regular motorway trips, to keep the DPF healthy. Yes, you'll get more power and better MPG but in reality a good remap is going to do that for you more than sufficiently for most driver's requirements.

As far as the MOT is concerned I speak with MOT testers regularly. Despite all the talk there is currently no definite plan to introduce checks or relevant emissions tests for DPFs. To do the test (other than if it can be detected visually because a replacement pipe has been fitted) the MOT station needs to be able to measure the size of soot particles and they do not have the equipment to do that. I'm also told that should a DPF check be introduced in the future, it would likely not be retrospective to vehicles produced before say 2009 or 2010, though that is purely speculative and based on MOT tester experience of other changes made for other purposes in the past.

I guess bottom line advice is: Yes - DPF removal will improve performance and get rid of the DPF blockage problems, particularly for 'town only' drivers, but personally I wouldn't recommend you do it unless you have to (i.e. you're faced with a £1500 bill for a new one with no other options) and you should be aware that although there are no definite plans or capabilities for tests at MOT stations today, that may change in the future. Nobody has a crystal ball for this.

I hope that helps people making the DPF removal decision to come to a conclusion that suits them.