PDA

View Full Version : Using technology whilst driving

h5djr
25-04-2013, 05:31 PM
I have just picked up the following item on a computer information website:

The U.S. Department of Transportation, in conjunction with the National Highway Safety Transportation Administration, recently released voluntary guidelines designed to help automakers create safer in-car technology by limiting the amount of time drivers take their eyes off the road.
Specifically, the guidelines would limit the amount of time a person can interact with the vehicle’s audio / video system to two seconds. Furthermore, systems would be limited to just six screen touches over the course of 12 seconds while manual text entry and the display of websites, social media, books and other text would be banned while the vehicle is in motion.
Current guidelines allow drivers to read messages and perform complex tasks while the vehicle is moving slower than 5 mph. They also permit up to 10 screen touches over the course of 20 seconds while driving at normal speeds.

I assume European manufacturers will need to take note of these 'guidelines' if they want to sell a model in the US.

mcmaddy
25-04-2013, 06:24 PM
I still think you shouldn't do anything with any buttons other than those on the steering wheel! If you have to take your eyes off the road for even a spilt second it's still too long.

pcr
26-04-2013, 11:19 AM
I agree with previous post, you have to realise that this technology is quiet distracting and don't do it when on the move. I would argue that even the touch radio is more distracting than the old push-button type, which could be operated by feel.

a8toa6convert
27-04-2013, 08:16 AM
Agreed. Touchscreen = great if parked up, terrible if on the move.

h5djr
27-04-2013, 08:51 AM

It can depend on the size of the buttons on the touch screen itself. If they are large it's not so much of a problem. The new Golf is a combination of both. Some button around the outside of a touch screen. Better that the new A3 with a pop-up screen and a MMI control where the hand brake used to be. I'm sure quite a few drivers will look down at the MMI control when the use it.

algarve
27-04-2013, 05:45 PM

I agree.

Using the touchscreen buttons on the move I find dodgy

I personally don't think the size of the ' buttons ' on screen would improve things.

You are still taking away concentration.

I also find that you need the exact finger pressure to get a result sometimes again taking away concentration.

h5djr
27-04-2013, 06:26 PM
I agree.

Using the touchscreen buttons on the move I find dodgy

I personally don't think the size of the ' buttons ' on screen would improve things.

You are still taking away concentration.

I also find that you need the exact finger pressure to get a result sometimes again taking away concentration.

The touch screen on the new Golf is different from the one's VW have used in the past. Your finger only has to be close to the icon rather than actually touch it for it to work. I agree that playing with the various options whilst driving is not a good idea but just changing from one radio station to another should not be a problem with the new type of screen.

There are also buttons around the outside of the screen for Radio, Media, Phone, Voice, Nav, Traffic, Car and Menu. The main on/off and volume buttons are still large round buttons like a normal car radio and the volume can also be controlled using the buttons of the steering wheel.

Still far less distracting that holding a one to one conversation on a "hands-free" phone whilst driving or turning your head when you talk to a passenger which I've seen quite a lot recently.

algarve
27-04-2013, 08:09 PM
The touch screen on the new Golf is different from the one's VW have used in the past. Your finger only has to be close to the icon rather than actually touch it for it to work. I agree that playing with the various options whilst driving is not a good idea but just changing from one radio station to another should not be a problem with the new type of screen.

There are also buttons around the outside of the screen for Radio, Media, Phone, Voice, Nav, Traffic, Car and Menu. The main on/off and volume buttons are still large round buttons like a normal car radio and the volume can also be controlled using the buttons of the steering wheel.

Still far less distracting that holding a one to one conversation on a "hands-free" phone whilst driving or turning your head when you talk to a passenger which I've seen quite a lot recently.

I have the new Golf.

The proxity sensor you refer just brings up the menu bar at the base of the screen by the way.

You do have to actually touch the icons to work the function

HHGTTG
28-04-2013, 09:55 AM
As I have said elsewhere, certain features and design leave a lot to be desired in the so-called advancement stakes. Even the MK6 with its rather flimsy feel ventilation controls has not really been improved upon in the MK7. They are still rather similar circular ones with very little feel and you still really have to glance down at the air distribution one to know where to set it for floor, face and windscreen etc. Just twisting or turning a light action control is not really very clever, is it?
Similarly this Infotainment centre. I don't have the car as yet, or if ever but how clear are the icons when the sun is streaming directly on lts screen? I much rather have, in a car, real switches or press buttons rather than virtual ones that pop out - pure gimmickry which are OK when parked up but not so clever when on the move.

algarve
28-04-2013, 10:11 AM
As I have said elsewhere, certain features and design leave a lot to be desired in the so-called advancement stakes. Even the MK6 with its rather flimsy feel ventilation controls has not really been improved upon in the MK7. They are still rather similar circular ones with very little feel and you still really have to glance down at the air distribution one to know where to set it for floor, face and windscreen etc. Just twisting or turning a light action control is not really very clever, is it?
Similarly this Infotainment centre. I don't have the car as yet, or if ever but how clear are the icons when the sun is streaming directly on lts screen? I much rather have, in a car, real switches or press buttons rather than virtual ones that pop out - pure gimmickry which are OK when parked up but not so clever when on the move.

Fom my experience that has not been an issue ie clear icons.

Partly I suspect because of where the screen is set in relation to where the sun would need to be to affect it.
The screen is also probably designed to reduce reflections in its manufacture.

a8toa6convert
28-04-2013, 09:55 PM
I'm feeling generally grumpy about use of technology to show off rather than to make things actually work better. I've just dumped my smartphone and gone back to a Nokia 6310i. No bl**dy touchscreen, just a lovely black and white LCD screen that you can see in the brightest sunlight....

vc-10
29-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Some phone screens are fine in bright sunlight- I have a Nokia Lumia 800, which has a clever polarising filter over the top of the screen which prevents reflections and makes it perfectly fine outside. In contrast, my old HTC Desire S was hopeless outside, even with the brightness cranked right up. I'd expect that there is also an ambient light sensor somewhere in the car, which will push up the brightness like phones do in bright light, and turn it down at night to prevent glare.

I do agree that having just a touchscreen is a recipe for disaster, but how often do you need to go into deep sub-menus while you're driving? The skip track/preset, source, and volume controls are all on the steering wheel, and if you've got a basic car they're still controllable using the physical buttons on the dash!