PDA

View Full Version : Air Con Not Working....and it's getting warmer...

Richardhoar
23-04-2013, 07:51 PM
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help /advise me.

At some point over winter my air con has stopped working and it has only become apparent now that it's warming up.

I turn on the air con, climate control, and it lights up but the air does not get any cooler. Having googled I have heard mention of the G65 pressure switch potentially being the fault. Subsequently I have attached an OBD2 reader and used torque to run a fault code search. It found no fault codes on ecu...

Would I expect to find a fault code if the G65 had failed using an OBD2 device?

Any other ideas of how I could determine whether this is a sensor failure or more serious? Do they diagnose problems if I go somewhere which would perform a gas recharge?

thanks in advance.

Richard

Guest 2
23-04-2013, 07:53 PM
Get it scanned with VCDS. Could just need a regas?

Richardhoar
23-04-2013, 08:02 PM
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the input hasn't considered that. I'll have to make a trip to local garage at weekend.

Am guessing VCDS would throw up the error where the OBD2 won't.

Thanks,

Rich

Guest 2
23-04-2013, 08:03 PM
Hi Rich,

Yep if there were codes then VCDS would show it. If yours till under warranty get into the dealer and get them to investigate.

Most OBD2 readers wont pick up manufacturer codes.

Richardhoar
24-04-2013, 05:53 AM
Sadly well outside warranty 2008 b8. Thanks for your advice

Rich

S66MJETDI
24-04-2013, 06:14 AM
Can you hear the compressor engage when you set temp to "Lo" then cycle the econ button?

Richardhoar
24-04-2013, 08:32 AM
Hi, I'm assuming by econ it's the same as turning the air con on. I haven't directly listened for this but not to my knowledge. Think I'll have to pop bonnet and see if I can hear it kick in. I'm hoping it isn't the compressor.....

S66MJETDI
24-04-2013, 09:17 AM
Was thinking more likely the magnetic clutch....but in all honesty running it along to a reputable air conditioning service centre wouldn't be a bad option as they should check the system as part of a recharge.

Richardhoar
24-04-2013, 06:16 PM
And that's exactly what I've decided to do. They came recommended and I spoke to them earlier and they said if there is any problems then they'll be able to diagnose, which is what I want.

I didn't get too far with the self diagnosis but there seems to be a multitude of possibilities so am better leaving it to the experts....

S66MJETDI
24-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Good choice...... without the kit and bombarded with a million remote diagnosis theories you could well end spending a fortune..... when a £50 recharge service will likely get to the bottom of it...

Richardhoar
25-04-2013, 06:00 AM
Couldn't have put it better myself. Thanks

richardsimkiss
16-07-2013, 02:33 PM
Hi Richard - Did you ever get to the bottom of your Air Con issues?

Having just picked up a A4 Avant I'm in the same situation - most googlings are suggesting pressure sensor and/or wiring problem (wire getting pinched/cut) - I'm just interested to know if either of these turned out to be the case in your instance.

Richardhoar
16-07-2013, 03:22 PM
Hi,

Yes I did get it resolved. The issue for me was with the pressure sensor, which had previously been replaced after a front end impact but without the seal, so water got in and broke it... Hope this helps.