PDA

View Full Version : Mk7 Seats?

OldBoy22
23-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Hi all, new to the forum so if this has been covered elsewhere please re-direct me and i will scurry off.

Test drove the new 2L GT DSG the other day and loved it, will be swapping our current Passat CC for one of these in a couple of months (thank god for solutions haha).

Question is to owners of the GT with standard seats, what are they like?

My wife has a back problem which is not going to go away unfortunately and seats (mainly the front passenger side) are important to her, and therefore me!

Any observations would be greatly appreciated...

dickt
23-04-2013, 05:55 PM
I have leather, and I do not know whether the underlying seat is any different. SWMBO is very fussy about car seats, espec for long journeys. (She used to hate my 1995 BMW 3 series seats. Not enough low back support) She is quite happy with the passenger seat. It has some back support adjustment via a lever on the side. SWMBO sets it to max and is happy with that.
We went from Merc E series, to (normal) Passat tdi 170 dsg, to Golf Mk 5 tdi 170 dsg to Golf Mk 7 tdi 150 dsg, and all seats have been fine. On the driver's side, In my opinion, the drivers adjustment in the Mk 5 was brilliant, and this Mk 7 is just as good.

OldBoy22
23-04-2013, 06:31 PM
Cheers dickt, good to know. Have had the elec leathers in the CC and think we have spoilt ourselves a bit, she thinks they are the best seats she's ever sat in a car and to be fair they are great. Looks like i may have to plump for them then, although pricey.

I read somewhere that this option on the mk7 does not have the memory function? is that true?

If so i dont see the point in getting the electric ones over the manual leathers...

mcmaddy
23-04-2013, 07:03 PM
memory function is not an option for the mk7 golf.

I've got leather electric seats in my tiguan r line and to be honest they are some of the worst premium seats I've ever had in a car. I've got back problems and I thought the endless adjustment would be great. it's not and after 9 months of ownership I still can't get comfy. the leather seats themselves are fantastic but I'd advise against the electric option. had no trouble at all in the mk5 golf or the jetta sport that had manual leather seats.

Ceber
23-04-2013, 09:35 PM
Hi all, new to the forum so if this has been covered elsewhere please re-direct me and i will scurry off.

Test drove the new 2L GT DSG the other day and loved it, will be swapping our current Passat CC for one of these in a couple of months (thank god for solutions haha).

Question is to owners of the GT with standard seats, what are they like?

My wife has a back problem which is not going to go away unfortunately and seats (mainly the front passenger side) are important to her, and therefore me!

Any observations would be greatly appreciated...

I only wanted leather with electric lumbar support because after trying the manual support i found the electric one pushed out a bit more,. but 4 days before i ordered the car vw changed brochure so elec. lumbar was only available with 12 way adjustable seats.Have to say we are really pleased with seats, the bolsters hold you nicely, but the memory would have been nice because the wife is quite a bit shorter.:D

OldBoy22
23-04-2013, 09:54 PM
Cheers for the replies so far,

We have the black vienna electric seats in the Passat CC at the mo so looking at the brochures i'm guessing that the same option will be more or less identical in the golf?

No memory function is a inconvenience as we only have the one car and like you Ceber my wife is a fair bit shorter than me and sits in a weird position due to her back problems.

Anyone have any experience with the standard cloth seats? they look nice but on the test drive i didn't pay them that much attention!!!

Devro
24-04-2013, 08:38 AM
Watch out as if you go for the full leather and electronic adjustment, you only get the electronic adjustment on the driver’s seat. The passenger seat is the bog standard manual adjustment! If I had known about this and the lack of memory function, I would have gone for the standard stock seats. A colleague of mine has them in their vehicle and they look quite nice.

algarve
24-04-2013, 08:45 AM
Cheers for the replies so far,

We have the black vienna electric seats in the Passat CC at the mo so looking at the brochures i'm guessing that the same option will be more or less identical in the golf?

No memory function is a inconvenience as we only have the one car and like you Ceber my wife is a fair bit shorter than me and sits in a weird position due to her back problems.

Anyone have any experience with the standard cloth seats? they look nice but on the test drive i didn't pay them that much attention!!!

Yes I have standard Alcantara/Cloth 'Sports' seats.

They are comfortable and I have had no issues with them.

HHGTTG
24-04-2013, 09:52 AM

Cloth seats every time with me. Leather - yuk.

DaveB666
24-04-2013, 10:15 AM

Whilst the seats in my GT look amazing, they are not as comfortable as the pov-spec seats I had in my Mk6 Golf. The driving position in the mk7 is also significantly higher than it was in the mk6 which I really don't like; Probably not an issue if you're short though.

HHGTTG
24-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Whilst the seats in my GT look amazing, they are not as comfortable as the pov-spec seats I had in my Mk6 Golf. The driving position in the mk7 is also significantly higher than it was in the mk6 which I really don't like; Probably not an issue if you're short though.

I must enter this discussion here as I know the MK7 is about an 1" less in height (or is iit more?) but when sitting in a GT fitted with a panoramic sunroof I was shocked how little headroom there is about your head near the top of the driver's window.
I am just over 6 feet tall and find I have inches above me in my MK6 but even though I let down the seat in the MK7 to floor level, there just isn't much room above one's head. In that position you also get the impression of being swamped by the fascia all around you - still one can get use to anything, I suppose!

DaveB666
24-04-2013, 10:44 AM
I'm 6'3 and in my Mk6 had the seat 3 or 4 settings from the lowest and it was spot on. In my Mk7 I have the seat set as low as it will physically go and I'm still sitting higher than I was in the mk6.

HHGTTG
24-04-2013, 03:19 PM
I'm 6'3 and in my Mk6 had the seat 3 or 4 settings from the lowest and it was spot on. In my Mk7 I have the seat set as low as it will physically go and I'm still sitting higher than I was in the mk6.

Whatever that means but how far is your head from the rooflining just above the top of the door where the fold up handle is?

DaveB666
24-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Whatever that means but how far is your head from the rooflining just above the top of the door where the fold up handle is?

Don't know and I'm not about to measure it.

HHGTTG
24-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Don't know and I'm not about to measure it.

Obviously I didn't intend that you go to such extremes but just wondered if you noticed the lack of head space - Oh, well.

lozzer
24-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Depends on how high you crank the seat up.

I felt aware of the lack of space when I picked the car up but I set the seat & wheel to where I would normally have it and (at 5'10") it feels fine.

When I bought my Mk6 I ordered it picked it up and thought it great. Never thought about a forum.

I have been looking at 2 Mk7 forums and the info/help has been terrific. The downside is taking on other folks worries :)

HHGTTG
24-04-2013, 08:53 PM
Depends on how high you crank the seat up.

I felt aware of the lack of space when I picked the car up but I set the seat & wheel to where I would normally have it and (at 5'10") it feels fine.

When I bought my Mk6 I ordered it picked it up and thought it great. Never thought about a forum.

I have been looking at 2 Mk7 forums and the info/help has been terrific. The downside is taking on other folks worries :)

Thanks. Yes, forums don't always instil confidence in future purposes as they often dwell on the negatives rather than the positives and people, such as myself, can be too easily swayed, perhaps, that the MK7 maybe is too complicated for its own good or rather is more than I can justify for myself, purchase-wise, especially as it would be a private buy from my pensioner's savings. I keep on asking myself do I want a car that Start/Stop, Adaptive CC (hardly ever use motorways, if I can avoid them) and that infamous e-brake etc. etc. The Infotainment system in itself seems rather too complicated although it would help if I could get a user's manual the gen up on it, months before I take the plunge.

I have got so many brochures from other manufacturers at the moment and these include Ford, Toyota, Volvo to name but three.

Ceber
24-04-2013, 09:22 PM
I must enter this discussion here as I know the MK7 is about an 1" less in height (or is iit more?) but when sitting in a GT fitted with a panoramic sunroof I was shocked how little headroom there is about your head near the top of the driver's window.
I am just over 6 feet tall and find I have inches above me in my MK6 but even though I let down the seat in the MK7 to floor level, there just isn't much room above one's head. In that position you also get the impression of being swamped by the fascia all around you - still one can get use to anything, I suppose!

I dont understand this, i am 6 feet tall and longer in the body than most yet i have the seat adjusted up slightly and still have plenty of head room!! I,m thinking that the leather seats are set lower or are thinner?

JDB007
09-07-2013, 04:48 PM
My Mk7 GT has good comfort but I wish I could raise the "front edge" just to give a little more support behind the knee (maybe I have odd shaped legs :Blush2:) other tan that very good.

andyCYM
10-07-2013, 11:24 AM
My Mk7 GT has good comfort but I wish I could raise the "front edge" just to give a little more support behind the knee (maybe I have odd shaped legs :Blush2:) other tan that very good.

Definitely agree that there's not enough support from the front of the seat cushion. Ordered before sitting in a Mk7, had I sat in one I may have been persuaded by an A3 (front and back separate height adjustment). Much less comfortable then previous VWs because of this.

dickt
10-07-2013, 11:45 AM
I think this discussion about seat comfort makes it clear that anyone buying a new car must borrow a demonstrator for a couple of days to decide about the seat! My Mk 7 with leather and elec adjustment seems to me to be just as good as my Mk 5. (I'm 6 ft 1 in). However, when I tried a BMW 1 and 3 series late last year, the "normal" seats did not work for me, and I had to try the one with frontal movement to get comfy around the thighs..

As to the A3, that was just plain Ugly from the driver's seats. Staring at those 2 huge volcano cores they use for air vents would drive me mad, as would the stick-on-top satnav.
It takes all sorts.