PDA

View Full Version : Time in transit

j12000
23-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Just wondering if those who have received delivery of factory built order could give an indication of the time it took from "build week" for delivery to the dealer. VW website rather vague saying 'up to 4 weeks', would be interested to know what actual experience of the time is for transit from factory to delivery....

algarve
23-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Mine was 3 weeks from end of build week to arrival at dealer

ept55
23-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Mine took five weeks to my taking delivery, so probably four weeks is about right.

maisbitt
24-04-2013, 01:18 PM
My GTD order appears to be going nowhere electronically so my dealer chased up with VW UK as the tracker displays "error" on mine, my dad's and McMaddy's order.

No GTD/GTIs will be built before week 22 (this is week 18?) when the MY14 comes in according to the dealer and he's expecting delivery late June/early July which would imply for all 3 GTDs that build week to delivery will be 4-6 weeks. I would expect 4 weeks to be the norm - a week to make, a few days to QC inspect and a week to 2 weeks to get booked onto a ship for transport and a few days to go by road from the dock.

Not sure whether the plant in Wolfsberg (or could it be the one in Belgium that does/did do Golfs?) is large enough to have at least 1 paint shop in every colour (I'm presuming that it is) or whether they rotate a few paint shops for the less common colours so that say they do a string of Pearl blacks before full cleandown and switch to a campaign of another colour. If rotation is required then maybe my Pearl black will be waiting longer for a paintshop allocation than my dad's Tornado Red.

j12000
24-04-2013, 01:56 PM
What is MY14 ?

Sam
24-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Model Year 2014

ept55
24-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Mine took 10days tues 2nd april arrival at grimsby to fri 12th april when i took delivery so there,s no set times its just in the lap of the gods really.

Russkiya
24-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Hi all,

I have a spreadsheet of several orders from the VW website.
It includes car details as shown on website, through searches by order numbers near mine. This is freely available information, for anyone to look at.
The advantage of this excel is that I have updated it daily since march. This should give you an indication of timescales.
I have personal information on it at the moment, but will remove that, and post it.

I've been looking at this forum since January, and love the information.

I ordered my car on January 15th 2013 and just had the phone call that it has landed at Sheerness, Kent.
GT 150 TDI Sunset Red, Singapore Wheels, Discover Pro, 2-Zone Climate, Keyless entry, Park Assist, Colour MFD, Rear View Camera, Body colour Roof Spoiler and Sport Gear Knob (don't know if i'll get this so have asked the dealer if he can order the GTI stick as a spare part) Then added a sunroof for when I go to to B&Q, in February:D

Thanks all.

Russkiya
26-04-2013, 09:58 PM
Hi Guys,

Just to clarify, Sports gear stick is not available to order, neither is is GTI stick until GTI is released.
Also, according to my dealer, Golf's are imported to Grimsby, Polo's go to Sheerness.

Heres the file I Promised. As its an excel, I have had to zip it so also attached is a screenshot

mcmaddy
26-04-2013, 10:14 PM
not all golfs go to Grimsby. maisbitts and mine will be going to port of Tyne.

algarve
27-04-2013, 07:26 AM
Golfs can go into Southampton, Sheerness, Grimsby & Tyne from Emden.

h5djr
27-04-2013, 07:27 AM
All VW and Audi cars leave Germany from the port of Emden in northern Germany and go to either Sheerness, Grimsby or Tyne depending on the dealer's location. Cars are transported from the various factories to Emden by train.If you are interested you can track the ships leaving Emden on this website 'EMDEN' Departures & Arrivals in Port - AIS Marine Traffic (http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/datasheet.aspx?datasource=PORT_MOVES&MOVE_TYPE=1&PORT_ID=175&PORT_NAME=EMDEN). The vessels VW/Audi use are called Weser Highway, Neckar Highway, Main Highway, EMS Highway, Isar Highway and Schelde Highway. They are all operated by the KESS company and it takes them just under 24 hours to get from Germany to the UK.

mcmaddy
27-04-2013, 08:22 AM
If it only takes the efficient Germans 24 hours from Germany to UK then why oh why can it take weeks for the car to be delivered to the dealer. neither wonder this country is in the state its in ;)

h5djr
27-04-2013, 08:48 AM
If it only takes the efficient Germans 24 hours from Germany to UK then why oh why can it take weeks for the car to be delivered to the dealer. neither wonder this country is in the state its in ;)

It is slightly easier to deliver at train load of cars that are loaded straight off the production line to a single point in Emden that it is to deliver a few cars by road transporter to lots of different dealers around the country. When I purchased by current A3 it arrived in Grimsby and was at my dealers two days later.

lozzer
27-04-2013, 09:23 AM
T he cars are checked at Grimsby before being sent on to the dealers

algarve
27-04-2013, 09:36 AM
All VW and Audi cars leave Germany from the port of Emden in northern Germany and go to either Sheerness, Grimsby or Tyne depending on the dealer's location. Cars are transported from the various factories to Emden by train.If you are interested you can track the ships leaving Emden on this website 'EMDEN' Departures & Arrivals in Port - AIS Marine Traffic (http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/datasheet.aspx?datasource=PORT_MOVES&MOVE_TYPE=1&PORT_ID=175&PORT_NAME=EMDEN). The vessels VW/Audi use are called Weser Highway, Neckar Highway, Main Highway, EMS Highway, Isar Highway and Schelde Highway. They are all operated by the KESS company and it takes them just under 24 hours to get from Germany to the UK.

VAG also use UECC's fleet from Emden.

Mv Autoprestige, Mv Autoprogress, Mv Autoracer etc.

Mine arrived on Autoprestige

Serious
27-04-2013, 12:41 PM
Feeling slightly jealous, as I don't even have a build date from my dealer for my mk vii :mad: The line which have told is they are awaiting to secure a space in the production schedule