PDA

View Full Version : Allroad BiTdi order in the mix

ukgroucho
22-04-2013, 12:35 AM
Wondering when I will see it.. order placed April 9/10th but i suspect Aug / Sept delivery.

UPDATE 22nd April: Dealer called today and told me week 25 build: mid-June :)

This will replace a C6 Avant 3.0 TDi Quattro SE with a bunch of options (Xenons, heated seats, power tailgate, full satnav etc).

Gone for the engine with full V8 soundtrack, sports seats, four zone aircon and all round heated seats (once you have the four zone aircon and want heated fronts, the rears are a flesh wound), lighting pack, technology pack, 75L fuel tank... should come with DAB and a powered tailgate as they added those to the 2014 spec.

Glacier white with stock 18" wheels and black interior.

I am SO excited :)

ukgroucho
22-04-2013, 12:38 AM
ohh and adaptive Xenons... love seeing where I am going at night.. have Xenons on the A6 C6 and they are very good/

Guest 2
22-04-2013, 06:29 AM
Very nice - your dealer should be able to give you a delivery estimate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allroad_2013
22-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Sports seats are a good choice, found ours to be very comfortable as they don't have hard seat and side bolsters that some sports seats seem to have. The seat base also tilts and there are adjustable thigh supports which I find help to find the perfect driving position.

Noticed that the seats have a considereable amount of up / down adjustment. I spent the first two days lowering the seat every few miles until I felt I was sitting IN the car rather than ON TOP of it!

The BiTurbo must be awesome as our 245 is pretty handy.

retired99
22-04-2013, 10:49 AM
Placed my order for an Allroad BiTurbo on 1st March, build date is end July with delivery 2 to 4 weeks later.

ukgroucho
22-04-2013, 12:07 PM
Sports seats are a good choice, found ours to be very comfortable as they don't have hard seat and side bolsters that some sports seats seem to have. The seat base also tilts and there are adjustable thigh supports which I find help to find the perfect driving position.

Noticed that the seats have a considereable amount of up / down adjustment. I spent the first two days lowering the seat every few miles until I felt I was sitting IN the car rather than ON TOP of it!

The BiTurbo must be awesome as our 245 is pretty handy.

Yeah my wife and I test drove an Allroad 204 (or whatever the baby diesel is) with the stock seats and she felt they were a bit "benchlike" - did not hold her in the seat. Seems odd as the leather seats in my A6 SE C6 are fine... but they are also "full" electric seats (no memory) which seems, sadly, to have dropped out of the standard equipment list. I guess they made leather standard and did not include the electric adjustment.

Anyway then we jumped out of the Allroad into an A7 S-line with the BiTdi. The two big impressions were the engine... just start-up with the "growl" leaves an impression - and how much nicer the sports seats were. That BiTdi engine is incredible... the Allroad with the 204 was silky smooth but lacked a bit of grunt compared with my 8 year old 3.0 Tdi. The BiTdi is just acres ahead, you hit the throttle at 30mph and there is a definite impression of the front of the car rearing up as it hauls off down the road.

A little story about the "impression" the engine makes. My wife is not really a "car" person - she likes a nice car but is not an enthusiast - right now she has an A1 Tdi (one of the very first ones), she has an A2 before that and kept it for nearly 10 years. When we drove the Allroad she was not convinced... it was too much like my existing A6 Avant crossed with the interior of her A1. She was trying to push me to a Q5, something different, so I had looked at prices for an SQ5 but no significant discounts on those... and the boot is the wrong shape. When we drove the A7 BiTdi, after 5 or 10 mins, she basically said "so your Allroad would sound like this?" "Yup" "OK then ..". Oh and then she said "but I want these seats also". Who was I to argue :)

I notice you have the Vimentum floor mats... what's the deal with those? From what I can see they are a coarser 'weave' and are available in black and brown rather than just plain black. Do you like them? Can you post a pic of what they look like? I need to work out if I should ask the dealer to tweak my order ... they don't cost anything.

ukgroucho
22-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Placed my order for an Allroad BiTurbo on 1st March, build date is end July with delivery 2 to 4 weeks later.

OK thanks for that.. I can see this being mid to late Sept :( What spec did you go for? Which engine? Interested to know if the BiTdi's are slower to build.

retired99
22-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Current Order is:

Audi A6 Allroad BiTurbo

Phantom Black
Sports Seats
Heated Front Seats
Rear parking camera
DAB radio
HUD
75 litre tank
MMI Nav Plus
Folding Dimming, Heated, Elec Adjustable Mirrors
Powered Boot Lid
Adaptive Xenon Lights
Thru Load facility
Phone Prep High
Side Assist

Thinking about deleting the HUD and Sports seats and going for the Comfort Seats.

ukgroucho
22-04-2013, 01:31 PM
Current Order is:

Audi A6 Allroad BiTurbo

Phantom Black
Sports Seats
Heated Front Seats
Rear parking camera
DAB radio
HUD
75 litre tank
MMI Nav Plus
Folding Dimming, Heated, Elec Adjustable Mirrors
Powered Boot Lid
Adaptive Xenon Lights
Thru Load facility
Phone Prep High
Side Assist

Thinking about deleting the HUD and Sports seats and going for the Comfort Seats.

Nice... odd that your build date is end July... I placed my order 2 weeks ago and I just got a call from the dealer to say week 25 (mid June). I can understand that there will be some variance based on colour (batches of vehicles) but there must be some options on your list that are adding to the long wait for build.

A couple of things on your build... DAB and Powered boot lid are standard equipment on 2014 builds (after mid-May build dates). The base cost of the vehicle went up a little (£150 or so) but there should be no charge for those options - if you're paying for them you should get the dealer to adjust... the price of those plus the sports seat "refund" would almost cover the comfort seat cost (well within a couple of hundred).

You need to be a little cautious about making significant changes to the build as it can affect the build date. Of course if you're not too bothered about when it arrives then tweak and adjust to your hearts content :)

retired99
22-04-2013, 01:40 PM
Nice... odd that your build date is end July... I placed my order 2 weeks ago and I just got a call from the dealer to say week 25 (mid June). I can understand that there will be some variance based on colour (batches of vehicles) but there must be some options on your list that are adding to the long wait for build.

A couple of things on your build... DAB and Powered boot lid are standard equipment on 2014 builds (after mid-May build dates). The base cost of the vehicle went up a little (£150 or so) but there should be no charge for those options - if you're paying for them you should get the dealer to adjust... the price of those plus the sports seat "refund" would almost cover the comfort seat cost (well within a couple of hundred).

You need to be a little cautious about making significant changes to the build as it can affect the build date. Of course if you're not too bothered about when it arrives then tweak and adjust to your hearts content :)

I learned about the DAB and powered boot lid a couple of days ago and sent an email to the dealer asking for this to be taken into account. Still waiting for an reply.

I'll ask about any impact on delivery before making any spec changes. Perhaps it'll come forward!

ukgroucho
22-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Current Order is:

Rear parking camera

MMI Nav Plus

One other comment... if you are adding parking assistance stuff and MMI Nav Plus then I'm puzzled why you did not go for the technology pack. It gives you MMI Nav Plus, upgrades the DIS to the full colour one, includes Park assist and some audio connect stuff - it's a good deal from a cost perspective.

ukgroucho
22-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Digging around and found that these guys have the up to date spec for 2014 model builds http://carleasingmadesimple.com/business-car-leasing/audi/a6-allroad-diesel-estate_1/55299/standard-equipment/?4810N
According to them the price increase and new spec is effective 27th May onwards.

retired99
22-04-2013, 02:41 PM
One other comment... if you are adding parking assistance stuff and MMI Nav Plus then I'm puzzled why you did not go for the technology pack. It gives you MMI Nav Plus, upgrades the DIS to the full colour one, includes Park assist and some audio connect stuff - it's a good deal from a cost perspective.

The tech pack parking is the 'find somewhere to park and park it for you' option which I'm not particularly interested in but I do like the reversing camera which is not part of the pack.

MMI plus includes the Colour DIS ( this is not exactly clear from the brochure)

Don't want the Audi Music Interface, will play music from the hard drive, memory stick or vis BT.

Given this the Tech Pack is not good value for me.

Salesman mentioned that he felt Audi had got the Tech Pack spec wrong as quite a few people were not buying it but selecting individual items.

ukgroucho
22-04-2013, 02:50 PM
That makes sense - you are right the Colour DIS being part of the MMI plus is not evident in the brochure.
Agreed on the music interface.. I see that as most useful if you are carting family / friends around and they want to play something off an iPhone or whatever that you don't have. I also intend to load up the hard drive with my media (as I did on my wifes A1).

I'm interested to try the "park it for me" option - although I don't have issues parking my C6 A6 Avant with just the rear parking sensors.
Have used the camera briefly in my brothers S4 and it's nice but I can live without it.

Allroad_2013
23-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Pictures of the Vimentum floor mats as requested.

I like them and they work with the sport seats that come with brown stitching.

ukgroucho
23-04-2013, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the pics - the brochure is pretty limited.

I see what you mean by them co-ordinating with the brown stitching in the sports seats. I think I'll ask my dealer to add them in... at least they will be different to the mats in my A6 right now (which seem to be close to the default mats in the Allroad)

ukgroucho
27-04-2013, 12:32 AM
So I called the dealer on Tuesday to switch to the Vimentum floor mats (thanks Allroad_2013) and he told me that the last update he'd seen my car had moved from a week 25 build to week 24.

That's kinda cool.. they take a week to build (approx) and the end of week 24 is June 16th - which happens to be my 50th birthday. I've been saying the Allroad was a 50th birthday pressie to me!

EvilPostIt
27-04-2013, 06:06 PM
I think they take more like a day to build although chassis prep will start the week before. Mine was scheduled for build week 17 (last week) and when I called for an update on Thursday morning I was told that it was waiting in Emdon port to be loaded onto a boat.

ukgroucho
27-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Cool sounds like yours will be with you soon. Has your dealer suggested a date for you to collect it?
Give us an update and some pics when he / she arrives

In terms of build time.. I think it varies a lot depending on spec, I've heard (read) everything from half a day to 5 days. Some time will be spent waiting - although I am sure they try to minimise that - as a more custom build will be hard to slot into another batch and have much commonality... special paint colours in particular.

Does not really matter... right now I'm focused on other stuff in June for my bday ... and then have to slot in collecting the car (hopefully July) with some likely business travel.

EvilPostIt
27-04-2013, 08:51 PM
The dealer mentioned 3 weeks worst case though I have heard a few people say about it turning up after 1 week so not long now. Don't think my spec it too custom as more of the money went towards the engine than the extras, but I love my tech bits and pieces so went for tech pack, advanced key, mobile phone prep high and heated seats which gives me a good basis. Wish I had spec'd the rear parking camera as it does a split mode to look left and right down the road which would be useful in a car of this size.

ukgroucho
27-04-2013, 09:44 PM
I think you'll find all the parking aids from the standard sensors to the park assist etc. will give you a lot of help.

My A6 (C6) Avant is similar size, maybe a tad smaller, and I've never had a significant issue parking it - and I only have the rear parking sensors on that. Very occasionally when I want to pull into somewhere forwards and get right close in do I have to jump out and sneak a look (or get a passenger to wave me in) but that's only when I want to button right up to something so I don't stick out into a throughfare... reversing even with my old basic rear sensors is breeze.

I've used a rear camera system on my brothers S4 and it is very cool... but I knew that I could live without it based on experience with my A6 and also some C7 A6 courtesy cars I have driven.

wolkenkuckuck
27-04-2013, 11:19 PM
The actual build time does vary according to specification, but that's in term of man hours, rather than time from start of the production line to the end of it. A heavily specified car will take more man hours than a basic, but it can't be overtaken by other cars on the production conveyor. What it means is that the factory has to schedule a mix of specifications to go down the production line, otherwise if the group of workers on one particular station were having to fit too many items on each car, they would gradually move further away from their station (and their supply of parts), and would eventually have to stop the line to catch up. If the factory 'mix' assumes that a particular group of workers would normally fit a rear view camera to 30% of cars, and a Bose system to 10%, they can't suddenly cope with massive upward variations in those figures. Most of the sub-assemblies arrive at the line pre-assembled, but everything still needs connecting.

The same mix restraint also affects the percentage of right hand drive that can be built; if the man that fits the steering columns is based on one side of the track, it takes him longer if he has to move to the other side to perform that function. The production planning mix allows for that movement on a certain percentage, but major changes have to be carefully planned.

ukgroucho
28-04-2013, 09:08 AM
Thanks wolken....very interesting stuff.

ukgroucho
24-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Well I have a collection date.. July 8th. Car is at dealer now but I am on vacation in Hawaii (50th birthday celebration with family) until end of June and then I need to clear the decks and sort out insurance etc.
sadly it looks like I will be off on business for a couple of weeks the day after I collect the car but I will try to take and post a few pics.

Whippy53
24-06-2013, 12:30 PM
D'oh !!!!

Allroad_2013
24-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Well I have a collection date.. July 8th. Car is at dealer now but I am on vacation in Hawaii (50th birthday celebration with family) until end of June and then I need to clear the decks and sort out insurance etc.
sadly it looks like I will be off on business for a couple of weeks the day after I collect the car but I will try to take and post a few pics.

Don't forget you can use the Audi 7 day insurance to get the vehicle taxed by the dealer and give yourself a bit of time to find a decent insurance quote.

ukgroucho
25-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Don't forget you can use the Audi 7 day insurance to get the vehicle taxed by the dealer and give yourself a bit of time to find a decent insurance quote.

Hmm not really aware of that 7 day insurance deal. I have some time after I get back so ill probably just search out a deal then... Don't want to work being away with new car at home and no insurance (or GAP insurance), Which reminds me, anyone got a good source of GAP insurance?

Whippy53
25-06-2013, 10:56 AM
On the back of your order form is the number for Audi insurance, phone em, give them your details plus details of audi centre and they will organise foc 7 days insurance. They will also offer a quote for a policy, worth a listen imo.

EvilPostIt
25-06-2013, 11:02 AM
With regard to gap insurance I found gap insurance underwritten by the same company the use and the same t's and c's for £260 rather than the £649 they were charging. They then price matched to £270 which I was told was cost.