PDA

View Full Version : New member, high mileage Audi

highlander0302
21-04-2013, 10:17 PM
Hi to all on what looks like a fantastic forum. Looking forward to playing my part. I took ownership a few weeks back of an Audi A4 TDI Avant with 197k on the clock ! I must be mad but on the plus side it's got a terrific service history which encouraged me. It's a W reg 85kw, 115ps, year 2000. At the moment I am just finding my way around the car and getting to know it. It's my first Audi having owned 2 BMW'S a few Golfs etc through the years. I have a few questions if anyone could help me out it would be much appreciated.

1. What size socket do I require to change the oil filter ? Is it the paper insert type ?

2. I intend to use a fully synthetic oil VW 506.1 ( Triple QX ) . Sound ok ?

3. Has this model the PD engine ?

I know it's a high miler but I intend to look after it and treat it well as I think the car deserves it ! Many thanks for any replies.

Guest 2
21-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Welcome to VWAF!

Any pics?

By the way, all the older cars will go on forever if they're treated right - just ask Zollaf and his Audi 80, 310k miles and still going strong I believe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zollaf
21-04-2013, 10:27 PM
aye, a mere spring chicken :)
just clocked 313k.
welcome to the forum.
now, if you lift the boot carpet you will find a label with all the codes on it, and one will be the engine code, awx, afn , something like that. i work in bhp, not this newfangled ps or kw, so i have no idea what power yours actually is, but by knowing the code we will. hang fire on the oil change until you know, as the pd needs special oil.

Guest 2
21-04-2013, 10:30 PM
A handy bookmark for you Zol - Kilowatts (kW) to BHP conversion calculator (http://www.rapidtables.com/convert/power/kw-to-bhp.htm)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zollaf
21-04-2013, 10:36 PM
ok, so i also found a ps to bhp one, and its somewhere between 113.9 and 113.5 bhp.
this means it must be 115, or 110, so its either a pd or rotary pump. (110 afn, 115 PD )
so that no closer to the truth.

highlander0302
22-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Many thanks to Chris and Zollof for the welcome and cheers for the advice Zollof. Aye the car is 115ps or 85 kw. Incidentally the PS refers to " Pferde Starke" in German as in Horse Power. " Pferde" meaning horse. Anyhoo, I had a look in the boot carpet and the engine code is AJM. I thought I would see PD somewhere but no. It's got a paper filter which is good but I found socket sizes for the filter housing in 2 sizes ( 76mm and 74.5 )???. The manual recommendation regards oil I find confusing to be honest. I will probably go for anything with a VW 506.01 spec.